8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright everybody, as much as i hate to say this, im gonna sell my Si for something else. The reason being is because i have had absolutely nothing but major problems with this car. 4 transmission replacements, Internal engine problems Honda cant diagnose but can see the problem on their magical diagnostic machine.... i just dont get it, i have a stack of warranty repair papers that i could turn into a book. Of the 2 years i have had my Honda it has been in the shop for a good 8 months TOTAL! thats rediculous. I have become good friends with their employees and their rental car. The shuttle lady is also growing very fond with me..... very scary. I have had 8 cars before my Si and although some may say because i track drive my Si often is the reason why im having problems i have to say that i have had 2 Cadillacs prior to this car that were SUPPOSED to have major problems: a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood and a 1997 Cadillac Catera. After Turbocharging, lowering, dual exhausting, and other bunches of goodies on the Fleetwood i sold it to my best friend and that car didnt kick the bucket until 200,000kms of hard driving. The transmission gave just like i was told it would, BUT NOT UNTIL WAY LATER THAN EXPECTED. That car made 350hp in a 4.9L FWD V8. The 1997 Catera i still have. I supercharged that car with a supercharger that was built for a Opel Omega (They share the same engine) I still have absolutely NO problems with that car. That car is suppose to have a few weak points in the engine. but i just dont get it. My point is 2 cars that werent meant to perform, performed BETTER than a car that was built to perform. I just wish that my Civic had the quality i was promised. So far it is the worst of all my 9 cars i have had in my life.

SO WHAT I ASK: I ask for opinions on a car that is new with WAY better reliability than the Civic Si. Im not rich, but i have a fair bit of money. I plan on buying a house in the near future (within 6 months) so my budget is around 40k CANADIAN $. I cannot go any higher than that im afraid. I REALLY wish i could, but anymore and i wont be able to make a down payment on a house. ALSO, would it be better to buy the car i want to get outright? Or make payments. Ive been told making Payments will help when I try to get a mortgage, but im really clueless in all aspects of this kind of stuff. So what car would you people recommend? I have had my eye on either the 350z or 370z. Not sure if they are under my price range, but I wont buy it until i sell my car first so maybe i could buy used with small kms.

I just need opinions. I hope i havent left anything out but i prolly have, ive just been typing off the top of my head so please bare with me. THANK YOU ALL!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Buy a late model used Corvette. A nice 06-07 can be picked up for mid 30's if you shop around.
You can buy a new 08 with 0% GMAC financing. The basic stripped model (coupe, 1LT) is being discounted to 38-40K

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you want from the car? Is this gonna be your DD?
This car may turn into my DD, im not really sure what I want to do with my Cadillac. I may sell that car too. So, its really up in the air at this point. I want a sporty car, doesnt have to be a sports car necessarily, but it would be nice. Maybe backseats, but who knows, I have had lots of 4 door cars and all my cars except 1 have had at least 4 seats. I almost NEVER use more than 1 passenger seat. I dont benefit from 4 seats so it depends. I mainly want around 300hp with reliability. I dont need gobs of power, ive been there and done that. Its losing its excitement. I grew up with a small racetrack on my property. Ive been driving cars hard many years before i had a license. I wears with time i guess. Im thinking i may try the 350z, but maybe a 370z would do. I really like these cars, is it worth the price difference to go from a 350z to a 370z? Or should i wait till the 370z is cheaper? I dont need a car right away, just want to sell my civic ASAP so i dont take any more of a depreciation hit than there already is.

·
idgaf
6,952 Posts
evo x, sti, is350

·
Registered
109 Posts
Buy a beater and then buy a house. Buying a $40K car when you're trying to get a mortgage will make the bank either not give you a mortgage at all OR they will limit the amount they will give you substantially. Once you have a house it will be much easier to get financing for any car you want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also want to state I would like it to be under 40k$ Canadian AFTER tax, and a year worth of insurance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buy a beater and then buy a house. Buying a $40K car when you're trying to get a mortgage will make the bank either not give you a mortgage at all OR they will limit the amount they will give you substantially. Once you have a house it will be much easier to get financing for any car you want.
I have a good chunk of money for a house already. im not gonna say how much, but the 40k$ for a car is play money right now. Im not currently in debt, and i will never let myself get that way.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Seriously, buy your home first. you never really know the cost of a home until you purchase it. bills and expenses build up and if you dont have money for those it is going to be very stressful for you. just sell the civic use your caddy. after u buy ur house, go car shopping..just my two cents

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seriously, buy your home first. you never really know the cost of a home until you purchase it. bills and expenses build up and if you dont have money for those it is going to be very stressful for you. just sell the civic use your caddy. after u buy ur house, go car shopping..just my two cents
I do agree with you. However, the Caddy is more of a show/ish car, it wastes a LOT of gas being a supercharged 3.0L V6. And the insurance on it is higher than the Civic. Maybe your saying i should buy something cheap in conjunction to the house? I need a car that could potentially be a DD. Everything that i do is within close enough proximity that i dont even need a car. But i like toys :p
However you may be right. and i am going to take your answer seriously. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So you want a new car or used car? I agree with getting something cheap(er) as well...until after you're done with the house...then get something fun.

Also, are you gonna do anything to the car?

·
Registered
808 Posts
ICBC is a retarded insurance company..i still like it better than the ones that rob you here in ontario lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts