8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around and so far I've heard that you need to splice into your secondary O2 sensor to install it? (which I've also read is not recommended)

My question is:

Are there any other lean shut-off switch options that perhaps don't require using an O2 sensor? I have flashpro and do not even have a secondary O2 sensor.

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
You MUST use a wideband. Splicing into O2 sensors will **** up the voltage. try dynotunenitrous.com to find one.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can use a wideband also. Or you can buy a single wire O2 from any autopart store to install in your secondary port.
Isn't the wideband the wideband O2 sensor (aka secondary O2 sensor)? Explain this 'single wire O2' and how I would use it please.

You MUST use a wideband. Splicing into O2 sensors will **** up the voltage. try dynotunenitrous.com to find one.

Basically just explain this to me more as there's no info on it on 8thcivic and I would like to run one if possible. Thanks

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Isn't the wideband the wideband O2 sensor (aka secondary O2 sensor)? Explain this 'single wire O2' and how I would use it please.

Basically just explain this to me more as there's no info on it on 8thcivic and I would like to run one if possible. Thanks
the civic has a wideband PRIMARY o2 sensor (the first sensor in the exhaust)
you cannot tap into it for the lean shut off switch becuase it will interfere with the ecu signal and most likely throw a CEL.

a narrowband o2 could be used, but they cannot privide a range of readings, rather just lean, stoich, and rich. chances are it wont work correct since its not precise enough.

best and most reliable way to do it, get an aftermarket wideband, weld in another bung to the exhaust and install it. tap into that for the shut off switch.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I used a single wire bosch O2 sensor for a couple months before I got my wideband. It is not as accurate as a wideband, but it can be used. You have to familarize yourself with the voltage settings, but like I said, it is not as accurate.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I meant best place to purchase one haha

Will it wire up to the wires from where my secondary O2 sensor USED to be or will I have to run the wires through and connect them elsewhere.

There's no real good info about this so you're my only source lol

·
Registered
18,914 Posts

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
I would hook the aftermarket wideband to where my secondary O2 used to be?
That's what my setup is. I have the Kidd Racing header and the wideband is where the secondary O2 once was. With flashpro you just disable the secondary o2 anyway so I just reused that spot.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what my setup is. I have the Kidd Racing header and the wideband is where the secondary O2 once was. With flashpro you just disable the secondary o2 anyway so I just reused that spot.
To get to that area/run the wire is gonna be a PITA. I already removed my old O2 sensor (via snippy snip). Do I have to get under my carpet? details?

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can run the wires through the grommet under the center console where the old O2 sensor wire went. That's what I did, pretty simple.

Edit: You cut your old sensor out? Why didn't you just unplug it from inside the car? You could have gotten to it from underneath.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did unplug it, but I couldn't get it past the gromet, I tried forever so I just cut it to get the gromet off :facepalm:

So it will plug into the same connector that is there?

·
Registered
589 Posts
now where would we put the wideband on in a r18? i was dumb and didnt do research and just got a narrow band:facepalm: and attached it to the sender wire of the primary o2 and yeah that was dumb cause it doesnt give any reading other then rich haha not accurate at all needles stuck in one spot lol. so Iam going to change it out and do wide band but what area should i get it welded in?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts