8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried launching my car the other day. I was about 3500 rpm when I launched the car. It felt like the right wheel was spinning and hopping (very light/more like a vibration) more.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
What you're getting is wheel hop. It's normal for cars with independent suspensions on their drive wheels. It's bad for the suspension, so avoid wheel hop as much as possible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It'll cost a bit of dollars to eliminate this hopping so it's best to just use your clutch to keep it to a minimum while racing.

Sometimes your wheels will spin smoothly and sometimes you get the hop.

Laying into the throttle while hopping could snap your drive shaft as the wheel spins for a quick second then grabs and jumps again.

If you feel it starting to jump then lay off or compensate with the clutch.

Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh yea, my post above is from experience. I busted my mothers new minivan drive shaft when i was younger. The wheels would bounce when i tried to spinn em out and one day....... Slap!!

Stupid kids! (younger me i mean)

·
Registered
57 Posts
i'm not a fan of the above explanations, it can be said with much more clarity...

I am in class right now, but if i remember will post more later... axle hop happens... its bad, but i wouldn't think anything was going to break right away...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts