8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i should just give up racing.:sadwavy: launching is hard for me to do it properly. i've been reading all around 8thcivic. so much response but i gotta see it in person. my perfect launch is a rev to around 3k (depending on the type of ground) and dumpping the clutch while flooring it. I get massive wheel spin till 6k and it just grabs and pull. i tried feathering it but i did it wrong. it feels really slow. my cousin got me into racing and he taught me everything. they way he told me to launch is to let it will spin all the way to 8k and shift to 2nd, but i lose to other cars doing that. what rpm should i let the wheels grab? if i let it grab before vtec then there will be no torque right? my car is completely stock. maybe tires will help me. it would be great if somebody shows me how to feather the clutch correctly. thanks

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
hard to describe but i launch and feather the clutch to keep the revs at a certain rpm till traction then pin it. usually works pretty well for me.
dumping clutch = noob. your 60 foot times will be horrendous doing this. try different techniques and watch your 60 foot times to let you know if one way is working over another and whether or not your improving. only way i can say it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
if theres something really hard/tough i run into... and im on the verge of throwing in the towel... i just think of this quote.

"nothing worth doing is ever easy"

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
if this is racing on the track wheel spin is ur enemy, but if your doing it as "the bad stuff" then have wheel spin cuz looking like a dickhead and being a ricer is always fun. jk. but yeah ease into it and get comfortable with feathering until the tires grab. then give it all it has.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Yes, feathering the clutch is the way to go. At first when I went to the track I had the same problem. It might take you a few trys but keep at it. I went to the track stock for awhile (1/8 mile) got my launches down. Then I added intake and nitrous, had to get used to those mods. Now I can say that I've beat the twin turbo BMW, I think its the new 335, I've beat G35s, 350s, SRT-4s, etc. Launching is very important so stick with it and it will be very rewarding in the end.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I usually launch at @ 3500 RPM, feathering the clutch. I have very sticky dunlops, so there is very little wheelspin. OP- I never had stock ties, so I don't know how slippery they are in comparison. I would say that better tires will help with your problem.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
i should just give up racing.:sadwavy: launching is hard for me to do it properly. i've been reading all around 8thcivic. so much response but i gotta see it in person. my perfect launch is a rev to around 3k (depending on the type of ground) and dumpping the clutch while flooring it. I get massive wheel spin till 6k and it just grabs and pull. i tried feathering it but i did it wrong. it feels really slow. my cousin got me into racing and he taught me everything. they way he told me to launch is to let it will spin all the way to 8k and shift to 2nd, but i lose to other cars doing that. what rpm should i let the wheels grab? if i let it grab before vtec then there will be no torque right? my car is completely stock. maybe tires will help me. it would be great if somebody shows me how to feather the clutch correctly. thanks
Don't go on feel.. The 60's don't lie. Experiment and when your 60's go down, you're doing something right.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Stock tires are teh suckk. Don't RIDE RIDE the clutch but you have to try gradually letting go until you feel the car is on the move. Like orchestrate putting one foot up and one down. THEN stomp on the gas. If you just dump the clutch and stomp on the gas you will look like a ferris wheel. So gradually start giving more gas as you're letting go of the clutch. Don't do it too slow...(ride the clutch) or too hard (wheelspin).... Hope that helps :coffee:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I never saw the benefit of wearing down your clutch to get good times. Just not worth it IMHO.

Buy sticky tires and you won't need to bother with that stuff until you get serious mods.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ur doin right...mostly. when u dump the clutch, leave the throttle right where it is to retain the 3k-3500 rpm. waiut till it catches (around 5k - vtec engagement) and ull land a 14.9-15 with a stock setup. mty best is 14.7 with custom intake, short shifter, and obx muffler. eveything else on my car was stock/original. sadly there were 2 other si with inatke/exhaust and and header/exhaust and bested a 15. (power shifting will give u .1 - .2 as well!)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yay! thanks everybody. I just went to the 1/8 track. Did like 4 runs. First one I dump and got a 10.1. Then the next two I rev to 5000 and ride the clutch and got 9.5. Still 100% stock!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey bro, just get your self some Falken Azenis (tires) and you'll be set I launch at 4 or 5 rpm sometimes, I luv those tires. I hardly get any spin with them. Im sure you'll luv them 2. Worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.