8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been planning on buying an Si here recently & now am having second thoughts after seeing so many negative things being said about the car lately. Not only that, I'm having second thoughts b/c this will be the biggest purchase I have made in my life. I recently graduated college....

I know that if I buy/finance this, it will probably be my car for 5+ years b/c I know I can't afford buying a house right now, but my thought was to pay a nice/reliable car off & then once I have more money in a few years, get a house/condo (w/ no car payment).

Lastly, I have never owned a sedan car & am not sure how I will like it in the long run. I think the Civic Sidan looks very nice....it's just that I've always owned coupes.

I'm going to the dealer in the morning :xyxnervou

help persuade me one way or another.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
07mugencivic said:
just go for it..and get a sedan....make sure you great a good deal...
what do you consider a great deal? they have to order a taffeta white si & i'm getting it for 20,735 & that's w/ a 7yr, 100,000 mile warranty (as long as i get all my maintenance done at their dealer).

that's $495 above invoice on an '08.....i didnt think it was too bad since they have to actually order it (not just one sitting on the lot).

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
That's not a very bad deal at all. Warranty, meh, you can always prorate it and get some money back if you feel it isn't worth your money honestly. But, really, you'll always hear a lot of negative things because those tend to stick in your mind.

My only real gripe is the less-than-stellar interior, but you seriously can't beat it in terms of simple ergonomics.

The only REAL difference between your upcoming Sedan to my Coupe is the color, the year, the TPMS, and the fact that your doors are smaller because you have two extra ones in the back. I'm sure as soon as you open 'er up, you'll be forgetting all about that. :D

But, if you're feeling regrets, sit down and think about it. It's a big purchase, as you said. Walk in knowing you'll be happy in the long run. There are some people who are very NOT happy with the little foibles in the car, but I think it's to be expected in the price range.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Prelude2Si said:
Well, I have been planning on buying an Si here recently & now am having second thoughts after seeing so many negative things being said about the car lately. Not only that, I'm having second thoughts b/c this will be the biggest purchase I have made in my life. I recently graduated college....

I know that if I buy/finance this, it will probably be my car for 5+ years b/c I know I can't afford buying a house right now, but my thought was to pay a nice/reliable car off & then once I have more money in a few years, get a house/condo (w/ no car payment).

Lastly, I have never owned a sedan car & am not sure how I will like it in the long run. I think the Civic Sidan looks very nice....it's just that I've always owned coupes.

I'm going to the dealer in the morning :xyxnervou

help persuade me one way or another.
I think that in the long run the sedan is better. Looks is all the coupe really has going for it. Some people just prefer the look of a coupe (Edit: Me! Though the sedan is growing on me). The sedan will offer more practicality. If you like the look of the sedan you should be good.

I agree that a car is a big purchase that you will have to live with for a long time. You should be sure you are getting what you really want. I wouldn't be too spooked by reports of problems. It is much more likely that someone would complain/ask for help online if they have a problem than they are to get online just to post that everything is a-ok. Not that there aren't people who do that, but it is much less common.

That's not to say you should ignore online complaints. Being able to get online and see what problems people are having is one of the great things about the internet. However, if you compare the complaints about the Si you will probably find them similar or less than most.

Either way, good luck with your descision and have fun with your new Civic:thumb: .

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
well based on a lot of feedback i received, buying a new car after college is by far the stupidest thing a person can do. get your life settled in first with a comfortable used car with leather or something and save up for your house. develop experience in your field etc. i could be all wrong and you have this all taken care of but an annoying car payment fresh out of college is a burden.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
bro, no offense but you've been making a lot of threads... i know you are buying a car but can you just put all your Qs into one thread???

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rcracin13 said:
well based on a lot of feedback i received, buying a new car after college is by far the stupidest thing a person can do. get your life settled in first with a comfortable used car with leather or something and save up for your house. develop experience in your field etc. i could be all wrong and you have this all taken care of but an annoying car payment fresh out of college is a burden.
Personally, I'm not big on getting used......I know there are some great used cars out there, but there are some terrible ones too. A lot of people get rid of cars b/c they are giving them problems, one way or another.

My job now isn't bad, but it isn't great money either. I really couldn't afford the type of house I want at this point in my life. I was just thinking I could get a car that is reliable, practicle & fun ....pay it off & in 3 years or so, worry about a house payment. I'd rather do that than have a house & car payment at the same time.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Look at it this way. You're getting the 3rd year of production. The major bugs should have been worked out (ideally). Shop around for 20K cars at the performance level, fuel economy, and options you get with the SI and it's hard to beat. The fact that you are looking at a sedan should set you at ease for 4-5 years since you have some versatility when it comes to passenger space.

on the other hand, if you want more speed and could care less about fuel economy or less speed and more luxury then there are better options out there.

IMHO, the SI is a well rounded car. It doesn't stand out in any one area really but has a little bit of everything. Not the fastest but pretty fast. Not the most luxurious but has some nice elements of style and comfort. it's by far the best looking car in it's class.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MBK said:
bro, no offense but you've been making a lot of threads... i know you are buying a car but can you just put all your Qs into one thread???
why have seperate threads then? why don't we just have one giant thread & no subforums.

yeah, i'm buying a new car....i have a lot of quesitons. the best people to ask are the owners - you guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
well i bought mine while in college, make a decent enough down payment that u can get rid of the car without havin to pay, and this model holds its value well, i bought mine in april of this year and the NADA value is still what i payed

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
sgtpruitt said:
Look at it this way. You're getting the 3rd year of production. The major bugs should have been worked out (ideally). Shop around for 20K cars at the performance level, fuel economy, and options you get with the SI and it's hard to beat. The fact that you are looking at a sedan should set you at ease for 4-5 years since you have some versatility when it comes to passenger space.

on the other hand, if you want more speed and could care less about fuel economy or less speed and more luxury then there are better options out there.

IMHO, the SI is a well rounded car. It doesn't stand out in any one area really but has a little bit of everything. Not the fastest but pretty fast. Not the most luxurious but has some nice elements of style and comfort. it's by far the best looking car in it's class.
:yeahthat: IMO, best 21k you could spend on a car. Can't beat the reliability of Honda and the 8k redline that screams almost like an F1 car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your not OCD about fit and finish (I am) then the Si is the best fun car you can buy for the money. I bought it because for my needs it's a great package out of the box and needs no mods for my driving tastes. However..... After I discovered the paint flecks and fit and finish issues on mine, I wish I had given the GTI a harder look.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Undispu7ed said:
:yeahthat: IMO, best 21k you could spend on a car. Can't beat the reliability of Honda and the 8k redline that screams almost like an F1 car.
I keep thinking that I should save for something that will appreciate in value (like a house), even though I probably can't afford a house now. Then I'll think that I should just pay off a car, then not have to worry about a car payment when I actually can afford a house.

I will need a reliable car to get me to work everyday...I'd like something that i know how it was taken care of (bought new)..... & also reliable, practical and fun.

·
Registered
637 Posts
sgtpruitt said:

This sums up my feeling about my Si perfectly and I suspect you've captured it for others as well. Well done.

·
ms3 fail.
8,339 Posts
I think you should go ahead and get the sedan. I have a coupe and I really like it, I never thought I'd like the sedans until I rode in a friends, they are just as fun as the coupe, if not cooler having a 4dr Si. You probably read about alot of little problems with the Si but I'm sure they have worked out alot of the kinks in the 08 models. I think you should do it, you won't regret it :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. Go find yourself a nice, used RSX Type S. It will be cheaper and a better car due to it being built in Japan. Find an '05 model and have it inspected by an Acura dealership. You'll save a few thousand dollars over the Si. :punches self for not doing the same:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'll give you my honest opinion. I picked up the 08 RR Si recently and I can't find any of the problems that people keep saying that are there. No 3rd gear grinds, no rattles with my bass even to the MAX. I don't regret my purchase one bit, and I would never buy a used car for 21k. I test drove a lot of cars in this price range and none can really compare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts