8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an inverter installed in My car under the dash, When I have my laptopp plugged into the power outlet I get a lot of static on the radio no matter if Im playing it from an iPod, CD or whatever.. Its really annoying! Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Chase said:
I have an inverter installed in My car under the dash, When I have my laptopp plugged into the power outlet I get a lot of static on the radio no matter if Im playing it from an iPod, CD or whatever.. Its really annoying! Any ideas?

i got the same problem... it may sound weird but playing songs from my laptop through the aux input sounds better, most likely from the equalizer settings in my laptop. but sadly i cant have it plugged into the converter.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I have no experience with laptops in cars, but my guess for the static you're experiencing would have something to do with the inverter more than anything.

I'm using the same logic as a bad ground on an amplifier...bad grounds on the power source only trickle down the line and usually result in "noise" through the speakers.

Wish I could help you out more. Maybe try different power inverters? Some may induce noise more than others.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the noise appears to be coming from the Laptop Power cable.. I discovered this when my line in cable came near it by accident and the static was amplified significantly.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for In car laptop mounts?

yes I do have a HP TOM TOM Navigation system.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
does the inverter plug into the 12v outlet? look up ground loop...could be ur problem..u could try it with the inverter pluggd into the 12v outlet if its not

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no I have the inverter wied into the fuse box and grounded to the bolt that holds the clutch pedal to the frame.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Chase said:
no I have the inverter wied into the fuse box and grounded to the bolt that holds the clutch pedal to the frame.
if u can try it with the invertr pluggd into the 12v..describe the noise and does it hapn when the car engine is running?...could be that the power cable from the invertr is too close to the audio cables...try relocating the invertr

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I have solved the issue, The laptop power cord was not sufficiently shielded. So the resolution was just to relocate the power cable by rerouting it another way. The farther it got away from the actualy headunit the better it sounded, So now I can plug the laptop in without issues.

Also I never wanted to use the 12V adapter to run this. My goal is to run all my electronics without having to do this. I hate having wires running everywhere.

Also the resistance of that bolt that I have it grounded to is 6 ohms.

My only issue now is trying to find a good mount so I can mount the computer in there to where it looks ok, Right now it just sits on the seat. BUt the internet works in there fine and I can play my Mp3 collection in the car now too (almost 16,000 songs).

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Chase said:

Even though you've solved the problem, I'd say that you really need to work on bringing down that resistance. Did you scrape away the paint?

A high resistance always leads to noise issues. I think you may have just "masked" the real issue.

Of course, you can always just leave it.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bikinpunk said:
Even though you've solved the problem, I'd say that you really need to work on bringing down that resistance. Did you scrape away the paint?

A high resistance always leads to noise issues. I think you may have just "masked" the real issue.

Of course, you can always just leave it.
Ok I moved it to a different bolt, now the resistance is 1ohm. awesome thanks!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Chase said:
OK I have solved the issue, The laptop power cord was not sufficiently shielded. So the resolution was just to relocate the power cable by rerouting it another way. The farther it got away from the actualy headunit the better it sounded, So now I can plug the laptop in without issues.

Also I never wanted to use the 12V adapter to run this. My goal is to run all my electronics without having to do this. I hate having wires running everywhere.

My only issue now is trying to find a good mount so I can mount the computer in there to where it looks ok, Right now it just sits on the seat. BUt the internet works in there fine and I can play my Mp3 collection in the car now too (almost 16,000 songs).
Nice...that's what i thought and recommended...how u get internet in car?...u dont need a laptop for songs an ipod could do that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts