8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup Y’all!? Haven’t posted here in years to be honest. Had a 2019 Si I recently got rid of, so in the meantime daily driving my 2007 LX.

The AC compressor is shot, has been for years. I bought a DX drive belt years ago and bypassed the AC to avoid a seize up. At the it cost me $14 vs. a quote of $1200+ to replace the compressor and condenser. I’m not comfortable doing the job myself.

Fast forward and it’s hot as hell while I find my next car. I see full AC compressor/condenser kits online for $250 currently. How much would the labor for this job cost?

·
Registered
646 Posts
If i'm being honest, over $200. It's quite a big job and frustrating to deal with. Maybe some other places would quote cheaper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got mines done at a local shop for $300. Big shop (Goodyear) quoted me 1450 so after buying the parts I saved a good amount.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better than expected, I’ll definitely get a few quotes locally this week. Thank you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How are you sure you need a new compressor? What symptoms did you have when it stopped working?

The previous owner of my Si told me his mechanic diagnosed the car for 3 hours and told him that he needed a new compressor and it was like $600 for the compressor and ton of money for labor since the Si has the compressor crammed in. The smaller engine civic will probably have enough room to get the compressor in and out much easier.

If you ask any shop, they have a book that tells them how many labor hours it would take to do the job. You can call around for a quote without bringing the car in.

In my case, I didn't need a new compressor, the compressor was fine. A total misdiagnosis by the mechanic. It did need a new coil, and I installed a new clutch while I was in there. My car also had a problem where the compressor was on all the time and the cooling fan was on all the time. There is a common problem with the HVAC control unit in the dash which caused this. They updated the circuit board in 2010 to solved the issue. I bought a whole bunch of them at the junkyard to try out, and 2 were bad and the other 4 I bought were good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took mine to a local mechanic. He quoted me almost 800 to replace the compressor (only) and recharge. I let him do it. It blows very cold but I question if the right amount of freon is in it. The compressor seems to cycle on and off too much and puts the engine under a noticeable load.. Their is a specific range of weight of gas that the system holds (see under the hood). I don't think he weighed anything. My advice is to take it to a mechanic who has the correct tools to do the job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took mine to a local mechanic. He quoted me almost 800 to replace the compressor (only) and recharge. I let him do it. It blows very cold but I question if the right amount of freon is in it. The compressor seems to cycle on and off too much and puts the engine under a noticeable load.. Their is a specific range of weight of gas that the system holds (see under the hood). I don't think he weighed anything. My advice is to take it to a mechanic who has the correct tools to do the job.
Most mechanics have something like a RobinAire all in one unit that does all the work for them. Nearly every shop has one because it's so much quicker and easier than trying to fill it the old fashioned way, time is money. You just punch in the amount of refrigerant and oil, it does the rest. We have them where I worked, it's super easy.

The clutch on my civic cycles quite often, it's normal depending on the outside temperature. On really hot days it'll run longer, but I was watching it on my thinkdiag and it was cycling every few minutes. The pressure was jumping between 0.7MPa when the compressor was off and 1.3Mpa when the compressor was running for a while.

If your mechanic put too much in, you can use a pressure guage on the low side, it should jump from something like 80-120psi with the compressor off down to 40ish psi with the compressor turned on. The vents should be around 40-50F temperature output.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got it done a number of years ago, and it came out to $850 for parts, labor, coolant recharge, and diagnostic fee. Independent mechanic, but a high-end shop, not just a mom-and-pop type place.

The system was still charge and the compressor probably still worked, but the A/C clutch was no longer engaging. He said he could do the clutch for $600 or the whole thing for $850, but strongly recommended just replacing the whole thing. It was a lot of money, but that's a painful job and beyond my skill level. I don't mind being warm, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to defrost the windows in the cold WI winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts