8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just recently install the kraftwerks kit on my 08 civic si. After it was installed we bled the coolant of air until no more bubbles were produced, then checked the fluids and topped as needed. When i was letting it idle I noticed on FP that my temps were around 220 Fahrenheit so i turned the car off and topped fluids, and bled it again and let it idle. When i was cruising, I noticed my temps were fluctuating between 195-210, which concerns me because when i was NA i never went above 194. Is it normal for coolant temps to be slightly higher when s/c? If not then do i still have air in the system or has a part magically failed on me during the build? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you're doubling the engine output (200hp to ~400hp) there is a sizable portion of that energy going into the engine coolant. Since you haven't increased the capacity of the cooling system the coolant temperatures will increase.

Normal coolant temperatures are 180-220*F so I wouldn't worry about. Keep in mind colder is not always better, coolant temperatures below 160*F will rapidly accelerate wear on your engine. It could be that you haven't bleed the coolant system completely, its really easy to trap air in the system after draining the radiator.

There are a couple things you can do:
1) Monitor your coolant overflow tank for the next couple weeks and make sure it has enough fluid, your coolant system will self bleed for up to 2 weeks depending on how much you drive the vehicle.
2) If after a couple weeks you're still worried about high coolant temperatures add a water wetter (something like Red Line Water Wetter), this will help increase the heat transfer to the coolant.
3) If you still aren't satisfied change the 50/50 water/glycol mix to something like 60/40 or 80/20 distilled water/glycol. This improves the amount of heat transfer to the coolant but also lowers the boiling point and raises the freezing point, so use with caution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,

I just recently install the kraftwerks kit on my 08 civic si. After it was installed we bled the coolant of air until no more bubbles were produced, then checked the fluids and topped as needed. When i was letting it idle I noticed on FP that my temps were around 220 Fahrenheit so i turned the car off and topped fluids, and bled it again and let it idle. When i was cruising, I noticed my temps were fluctuating between 195-210, which concerns me because when i was NA i never went above 194. Is it normal for coolant temps to be slightly higher when s/c? If not then do i still have air in the system or has a part magically failed on me during the build? Thanks in advance!
Ive no problem during trackday. Always 80-85 celsius.

Enviado de meu G8232 usando o Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts