8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m sharing a writeup on my recent suspension upgrade. I’ll go over some background info and research I’ve done for planning my build, cover the parts themselves, my installation comments, and my impressions coming from the stock suspension. Hopefully this post can be of help to anyone looking at a similar setup.

Background
I’ve got an ’09 Si sedan that had around 169,000 miles at the time of the suspension overhaul. I’ve been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but it wasn’t a big priority before since I felt that my car handled fine despite the mileage. I finally made the move to see how much better performance shocks and springs would perform, and I didn’t know how much longer my stock shocks would last. Of course, I wanted a drop for the aesthetics too ;)

I’ve been looking at all kinds of suspension parts over the past few months/year - some setups I was considering included Eibach Prokit on KYB shocks, Tein S-tech springs on Truhart shocks, as well as Tein Street Advance Z or ST Suspensions coilovers. The setup I was considering the most was the “HFP Killer” from Redshift Motorsports which is the Tein S-tech springs on Koni STR.T shocks.

I ended up going with H&R Sport springs on Koni STR.T shocks because spec-wise it seems like a good combo (similar to S-tech but with less drop and slightly softer rear spring rate), and I haven’t really seen a lot of info on this setup from others.

I spent a lot of time thoroughly browsing all of the different suspension threads on 8thcivic as well as the 8th gen Facebook group. Chris from Redshift also has a ton of good info on 8th gen suspension on his tech page; I found this to be a great reference for picking out parts and coming up with an alignment setup.

Parts

Here is a list of all the parts I got for my suspension overhaul:

Koni STR.T front struts 8750 1098
Koni STR.T rear shocks 8050 1129
H&R Sport lowering springs 51868
Moog (SPC) rear control arms RK100391
Moog front strut mounts K160222
KYB front top spring mounts SM5760
KYB front bottom spring mounts SM5707

Installation
I installed the suspension over Labor Day weekend with my cousin in my garage. I won’t go too in-depth on the installation since there are already a bunch of threads and videos on suspension installs. Some videos I found helpful were How to Replace Struts Shocks on 2006-2011 Civic by Garage Built Hondas, and Everything You Need to Know About Installing Koni Shocks on an 8th Gen Honda Civic by Jake Stumph.

Front strut assembly installed. This was relatively easy, took out the old strut assembly and put in the new one.

Rear shock, spring, and camber arm installed. Pulling out the old spring and putting in the new one was not fun. I had to disconnect the sway bar end links and had my cousin stand on the caliper to make enough clearance. The passenger side camber arm is also difficult to install if you don’t take off the muffler.

About a week after installing everything, I took my car to Fremont Alignment in Fremont, CA to get the alignment set up. Using Chris’s tech page as a guide, the alignment specs I went with are:

FrontRear
Camber-1.0°-1.2°
Caster7.00°N/A
Toe0.00°0.06°

This uses the Street “Mild Performance” as a baseline. From stock settings, the front and rear camber increases 1.0° and 0.4° respectively. I figured that this would help with handling without tearing up tires too quickly.

Impressions
OEM shocks and springs:

Koni STR.T and H&R Sports (after alignment):

After installing the new parts, I was pretty happy with how the drop looked. I like that there’s still a small gap between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender. Driving on canyon roads is super fun, the new parts and alignment really helped with improving stability and reducing body lean. I just need to get used to taking it easy on rough roads and curbs to prevent rubbing.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
06FG2 736.72whp/[email protected] e85/ FA1-R18 Daily FTW
5,771 Posts
Good write up man, I have to redo my suspension package on my FA1 daily. So this helped and put the gears in motion hopefully I can do it in the next few months.

·
Registered
2010 Civic Si Sedan 68K miles
63 Posts
Good write up

My 10 si sedan just turned 68,000 miles
All stock
But installed some rpf1 9 inch wide on sticky 245/40/17 for the canyons

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I’m sharing a writeup on my recent suspension upgrade. I’ll go over some background info and research I’ve done for planning my build, cover the parts themselves, my installation comments, and my impressions coming from the stock suspension. Hopefully this post can be of help to anyone looking at a similar setup.

Background
I’ve got an ’09 Si sedan that had around 169,000 miles at the time of the suspension overhaul. I’ve been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but it wasn’t a big priority before since I felt that my car handled fine despite the mileage. I finally made the move to see how much better performance shocks and springs would perform, and I didn’t know how much longer my stock shocks would last. Of course, I wanted a drop for the aesthetics too ;)

I’ve been looking at all kinds of suspension parts over the past few months/year - some setups I was considering included Eibach Prokit on KYB shocks, Tein S-tech springs on Truhart shocks, as well as Tein Street Advance Z or ST Suspensions coilovers. The setup I was considering the most was the “HFP Killer” from Redshift Motorsports which is the Tein S-tech springs on Koni STR.T shocks.

I ended up going with H&R Sport springs on Koni STR.T shocks because spec-wise it seems like a good combo (similar to S-tech but with less drop and slightly softer rear spring rate), and I haven’t really seen a lot of info on this setup from others.

I spent a lot of time thoroughly browsing all of the different suspension threads on 8thcivic as well as the 8th gen Facebook group. Chris from Redshift also has a ton of good info on 8th gen suspension on his tech page; I found this to be a great reference for picking out parts and coming up with an alignment setup.

Parts

Installation
I installed the suspension over Labor Day weekend with my cousin in my garage. I won’t go too in-depth on the installation since there are already a bunch of threads and videos on suspension installs. Some videos I found helpful were How to Replace Struts Shocks on 2006-2011 Civic by Garage Built Hondas, and Everything You Need to Know About Installing Koni Shocks on an 8th Gen Honda Civic by Jake Stumph.

Front strut assembly installed. This was relatively easy, took out the old strut assembly and put in the new one.

Rear shock, spring, and camber arm installed. Pulling out the old spring and putting in the new one was not fun. I had to disconnect the sway bar end links and had my cousin stand on the caliper to make enough clearance. The passenger side camber arm is also difficult to install if you don’t take off the muffler.

About a week after installing everything, I took my car to Fremont Alignment in Fremont, CA to get the alignment set up. Using Chris’s tech page as a guide, the alignment specs I went with are:

FrontRear
Camber-1.0°-1.2°
Caster7.00°N/A
Toe0.00°0.06°

This uses the Street “Mild Performance” as a baseline. From stock settings, the front and rear camber increases 1.0° and 0.4° respectively. I figured that this would help with handling without tearing up tires too quickly.

Impressions
OEM shocks and springs:

After installing the new parts, I was pretty happy with how the drop looked. I like that there’s still a small gap between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender. Driving on canyon roads is super fun, the new parts and alignment really helped with improving stability and reducing body lean. I just need to get used to taking it easy on rough roads and curbs to prevent rubbing.

Thanks for reading!

Background

Parts

Installation

FrontRear
Camber-1.0°-1.2°
Caster7.00°N/A
Toe0.00°0.06°

Impressions
OEM shocks and springs:

Thanks for reading!
Thank you for the write up! I added the parts you listed to my list. I am changing the suspension on my 07 FG2. I am also going with Tein S Tech springs. Did you replace your old bumper stoppers? Did you have to replace any other parts that were maybe not listed? I want to make sure I have everything down.
-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the write up! I added the parts you listed to my list. I am changing the suspension on my 07 FG2. I am also going with Tein S Tech springs. Did you replace your old bumper stoppers? Did you have to replace any other parts that were maybe not listed? I want to make sure I have everything down.
-Chris
I reused the original bump stops, but if I were to do it again I would just order new ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts