8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey. this is not a repost from a different thread, this is a thread appealing for help from my fellow 8th members in here. last friday, my car died on me about 2 miles after leaving the house. everything was perfectly normal until all of a sudden all my error lights came on and the engine started to lose power. i quickly shut the car off and pulled over. when i lifted the hood i saw nothing out of the ordinary. the electrical system was fine and the battery had 14 volts. AAA towed me to honda and that was it. today i got a call from honda. the head service guy told me that one of the clips that i used to hold my injen intake coolant hose had come completely loose, thus emptying the car of coolant and doing some possible severe damage to the engine, though he did not want to elaborate til they had done more inspection tomorrow. he told me that the hose near the temperature sensor is the one that came loose and that there was a puddle of coolant on top of the tranny and that since this clip (the kind you screw tight, as opposed to the honda spring ones) had not been put on there by them, they would not honor my warranty, and that the cost was in the thousands not the hundreds.

so heres the problem with what he told me, and what i experienced. there were no different sounds. i heard nothing. and the temperature gague was perfectly normal, i even have scan gauge, so i could see an exact temperature. so i asked him why the temperature gauge never showed a problem. he said because the coolant rushed out so fast, that it did not have time to read abnormally hot temps. ok. but if it came out so fast, why did it not spray all over the engine bay. i had the heat on int he car, why didnt i smell anything? i opened the hood after it turned off and saw nothing nor smelled nothing. so something doesnt add up.

second, he said it was near the thermometer that it came off. well thats on the bottom hose on the bottom of the radiator. ive never touched that hose, and it therefore has the stock clip on it.

so, for all of you smart honda guys out there,a nd i know there are many of you here, what is wrong with this situation? if it truly did spray out as he said, why didnt i smell or see a thing? and why did i hear nothing abnormal? please leave some insight.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It sounds as though your looking for away around this ( IE: to get Honda to pay for it) I could be wrong though.... No matter how you slice it, it was a part that you replaced on your car that caused the problem, and now your stuck with the awefull consequences..........to me it would seem as though your temp light would spike, or you would at least hear something. Mabey it all leaked out the night before?!? keep us posted on the bill!

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
Your gauge would have spiked and you would have burning coolant everywhere. So you would see smoke from the hot coolant. So far it sounds as if they want to blame what ever really happened on your mods. It could actually be because of your mods but what they said doesn't add up so far.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Is the bill actually in the thousands right now, or can you pick the car up and just pay them the diagnostic fee? I mean, if you didn't hear or feel anything abnormal (you only saw the lights illuminate on the GCM (tach)), then take the car and go through it yourself at home. If you shut the car off immediately, there's a very slim chance that the engine overheated and the head/ block were warped. I'd just grab the car back after paying the diagnostic fee. If you didn't authorize any more repairs beyond a simple diagnostic, then they can't hold you to any more money.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i meant to say intake. i talked to the guy this morning and he agreed that the sensor may be messed up, but they still wont honor my warranty. which blows. but i mean as much as it sucks, it still is a part that i changed. i dont know why i didnt smell anything or see anything or have and temperature rises. he basically said without actually saying, too bad your fault. he called me back a little while ago saying that there was 0% compression in cylinders 1,2,4 and 150% in 3. so it sounds like a cracked/warped/bent cylinder head. im hoping thats all it is. he was rambling off possibilities yesterday and prices and said some ridiculous price of 4300 bucks. not sure what it was for but a whole new engine assembly is 4600 and a new head assembly is 1900, and no matter what is messed up, where its the head or head gasket or just broke valves, that price aint right. labor isnt that much. but whatever. i just gotta sit tight and wait for the full report this afternoon then go from there. looking back, i still would have done the mods ive done. theres nothing i could have done to prevent this short of checking the hoses all the time. its just unfortunate that one of the clamps loosened up and started leaking but without warning. too bad for me i guess

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah dude thats what i had wanted to do, but they are still in the diagnostic stage, and when he told me about the compression problems i knew there has to be something wrong. just shitty luck i guess. when he quoted me yesterday i was imagining this costs 5k+ but now looking through the parts book and seeing prices, even with their stupid labor costs, i dont see it going that high.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Damn. I feel for you man. It makes me NOT want to put a CAI in my car now. And labor charges..in NYS their up to 80-90 bucks an HOUR. A whole engine swap/ head replacement will easily be a 8-10 hour job according to HONDA, so your looking at almost a GRAND on labor ALONE. Unless you have alot of gear friends, pay them to do it for you, I know my friends do motor swaps all day long and they do it by themselves in mom and dads garage for fun. But I am curious, Did you install the CAI yourself? If so how long has it been on your car? Are you mechanically comfortable when you installed it, or did you have someone else do it for you, or someone who thought they knew how to install it correctly? Just curious, Not knocking anyone on their mechanic skills, but some people think they know what their doing when they are just hurting the car but "skipping" sections and taking shortcuts and it costs you thousands of dollars in the long run. And if i was you, honestly, Let HONDA put it back together, so you dont have a misfortune like this again by having someone else install your whole engine back together again. But either way.. Good luck and that 100% sucks

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i put it in myself. the annoying thing is i did it correctly. im not genious but i know it was correct. the only part that failed was the clip. it somehow came loose. its just unfortunate. i dont think its going to need to be a whole engine swap though. probably just the head. as long as the block isnt cracked and i honeslty dont think it is. its at lia honda on central ave. haha i wish i could put it back to stock but i have no way to get it to my house, the thing dont run. they told me earlier about my cylinders do i know there is damage. im just hoping its just the head thats warped. maybe they will honor my warranty ont he stupid temp sensor since it obviously was faulty since it never registered a high temp nor threw a cel. shitty luck on my end though. just gotta take the hit and deal with it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
maybe i'm lost here but what hose did you have to disconnect for your CAI that has coolant running through it? did you have to drain the coolant during the install? did you refill afterwards? are there puddles anywhere?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it was the upper radiator hose. i also have a tbs in there so to clear it you have to replace the hose with a hose from napa. many people have done it. a little bit of coolant came out when i did it, but i refilled it. this was in august though. its not i just put it in now. theres a little bit of spilled fluid on top of the tranny. maybe half a shot glass or so. its lookin like this may be a fight honda of america for at least partial compensation, because as much as its my fault since i changed the clamp to a more secure one which happened to fail, the temperature sensor was faulty from the factory which caused me to have no warning at all. its a shitty situation but we will see what happens

·
Registered
280 Posts
I do think its strange that the temp didn't move. I had a car that blew off a custom mount that I paid a shop to make for me for a 200 amp alternator. The car had no belt so no powersteering, no water pump so no coolant circulating either. I drove the car little bit by little bit to the shop (shutting it off when the temp gauge was up high) and the gauge followed as fast as the temp climed. Maybe the difference is that there was actually coolant in the car. Anyways pray man cause my buddy had to pay for a new head on his RSX cause the warrenty wouldn't cover a 12000rpm downshift. It raped his wallet for $7900.00 and the car was never the same........he had to trade it off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i would suggest getting a second opinion from a different dealership. It cant hurt to have multiple techs try to discover the reason, and if you've got to foot this bill, you should be really sure of what happened, so find out from at least two sources what they think went wrong.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.