8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the Kenwood DNX series?

I'm looking into replacing the Pioneer Avic D3 that I have currently installed in my car for one of the Kenwood DNX series, I'm still not sure which one. The reason for the change is because the D3 is not compatible in Europe, and after calling the main manufacturers (Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood), Kenwood was the only one that was able to guarantee me that it would work both in Europe and America.

So how do you like your unit? I know that it uses Garmin for the navigation, which I like. How about all the other features? iPod control, Bluetooth, etc?

Thanks for helping me out :wavey:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the 8120 and owned the D3 before, it's a huge difference in navigation and speed. I like using the Ipd as well...god hated the D3 for ipod control. I never used bluetooth so i can't answer that.

Worth the upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
y kenwood? pioneer z110bt is a awesome, u got alpine the w900 .. kenwood is dead on with navi but they lack the entertainment value.. thts if you are gona add navi to the headunit

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The reason for the change is because the D3 is not compatible in Europe, and after calling the main manufacturers (Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood), Kenwood was the only one that was able to guarantee me that it would work both in Europe and America.
Basically, Alpine told me straight up NO. JVC said to get in touch with JVC UK, and Pioneer can't guarantee anything.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
ok then take a look @ this, my navi broke so im in the market to for a navi

jvc nc 7000 or even the nx 7000bt depending if u need the bluetoooth, only downgrade you dont have voice recongition, not sure if you use that with the D3 or it had it.. but i liked it when i had my pioneer , but wont miss it soo much.. the JVC has a detachable face plate, so you can take it with you, reall bonus if u live in a shaddy area.. also the jvc , you cant custom backgrounds and whtnot.. so you are stuck with the limited ones that are preloaded ..
Another option would be the ALPINE W900, its cool, really great with navi and ipod usability. both the JVC and Alpine use NAVTEQ , so you will get the same maps..

for the money, JVC gives you mroe, but alpine looks sleeker..

with most systems, you would just have to buy the SD preloaded maps for EUROPE.. i assume that is how they work.. not sure if you would neeed anything else..

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, I called all of the manufacturers and the only one that guarantees that it will work is Kenwood, both GPS and radio frequencies. I'm not gonna drop $1,000 on a unit that looks better and all the other crap but that won't work in Europe, and I'm not risking it. If Kenwood guarantees that both GPS and radio will work, then why will I risk going with someone else? I could stick with the D3 and just use the iPod interface and buy a portable GPS, but what's the point?

·
Registered
796 Posts
x2 on the Kenwood over the Alpine, I haven't used or played with the new Pioneers Z series so i can't talk about them.

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As of now I'm leaning towards the Excelon DNX6960, but I'm still doing some research. I know most people here use Pioneer and Alpine. I was/am happy with the D3, it's easy to work and operate, I do hate the iPod controls and the fact that the radio doesn't go down to 87.7 and that it won't play videos from my iPod.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Here is some input:

Two of my friends own the Kenwood DNX8120......

The touch response is horrible and slow, You can tap it and move your hand back before the thing even registeres that you have done anything, the boot up on the unit takes almost 4 times as long as my Pioneer AVHp4100dvd, no customization options on LED color (that I know of), fast forwarding is a complete joke as you have to hold it down for a stupid long time as there is no track bar so you could spend 5+ mins fast forwarding a 30 min song. or even 30 seconds on a 4 min song. Also, their Ipod features are not very friendly from what I have seen as if you have a long list of artists scrolling down takes a super amount of effort and time.

My unit has GPS and Blutooth addons and it works with all Ipod touch and Iphones (so far) you just have to buy the cable $40 but mind you I have yet to hook up my ipod to it.....the unit turns on and starts playing in under 10 seconds, maybe even 5 seconds not 30 like the Kenwood, the touch sceen is extremely fast and I have a track bar to choose where in the song I want to instantly skip to.

I think they are night and day different but the Kenwood comes with Blutooth but even if I added Blutooth I would still be ahead in savings than my friends and I would still have a faster unit.

Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That doesn't help me!

I want an in-dash that has GPS, I'm not worried about building a sick system or anything like that.

I'm really leaning towards the Kenwood DNX6960. Price is good (~$800) and the features are great! I've been looking on YouTube and the biggest problems that people were complaining about is that it takes about 20 seconds to load and that the buttons are a little small and some menus are hard to get to, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for me.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ahhh, I gotcha! You never really specified that in your 1st post and I really didn't know what you meant when you were talking about working in Europe/America, lol.

Personally, I am just buying a whole seperate GPS unit that I can take in various cars as they are faster and smoother (from what I have seen) but for and all in one unit I have no advice really :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the 8120. I like the iPod interface over my Alpine W501 but my wife doesn't.

The bluetooth works well and the nav works great.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
hey Oriol i have the 7120 with the bluetooth & i like my unit very much only thing is u have to get ur own POI & upload them which im in the process in trying that out.

also it works pretty good with the iPhone.

maybe one day we can meet up & u can test run my unit lol OH btw i love my start up screen

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
NP i'm going meet up with Will, he going to help me install my flashpro so maybe u can swing by as well, im waiting on delivery once arrive ill let u know when we meeting up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts