8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. This is my first post, so excuse any dumb mistakes but here goes.

I am the owner of a 2006 Civic Sedan, that I got a couple years ago as my first car. I like the car, but when I got it, it was almost 10 years old, had 160000 miles, and the interior was in pretty rough shape. I always thought there was something I could do to make the car nicer. So a few months ago, I came across these Katzkin leather conversion kits, they are supposed to be installed by a professional, but that costs like $1200, so I found one that matched the color and trim of my car on ebay for around $350. The install was somewhat challenging, but I have a friend who is a service manager at a dealership help me with it, I probably would not have been able to complete it without him. In total, the install probably took about 6 hours. The hardest part is getting the headrests on, they are very tight. Anyway, I'll post some before and after pictures in the next posts because it won't let me put them in this one since its my first.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Working on it:

I also got them on fleabay for the price Ryanwh65 quoted. Ryan: If you can post pics and some pointers, that would be great! I'm sure your rig looks awesome! You are right, the headrests (rears) are a ROYAL PAIN! I still haven't figured out how to "snap shut" the covers. Because they will be in "resting position", no one will see them, but it still bothers me.

NO "snapping shut". UUrghh

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tips for Installing

As for the headrests, my buddy helped me with those thankfully, because I don't think I would have been able to do them on my own. I stretched the leather really tight, while he used a flat head screwdriver to hook those plastic things into place. I would also recommend letting the thing you just put leather on, sit out in the sun for a few hours, as it will take the wrinkles out. Also, be careful with the passenger seat because it has the weight sensor and if you mess that up (like I think I did) your SRS light will come on, and the airbags won't deploy if the light is on. Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!

·
Registered
372 Posts
That looks really impressive and high-end. That would a great choice for me if my fabric seats get worn out. I'm surprised it went on for you so well, it looks like factory quality.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the factory leather option that is Katzkin. I have seen a few on Ebay ranging from $250-$350 but I have only seen it in tan and only for the coupe. I don't really have any pics of the interior to show sorry.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
while he used a flat head screwdriver to hook those plastic things into place. I would also recommend letting the thing you just put leather on, sit out in the sun for a few hours, as it will take the wrinkles out.
I've used the screwdriver (no other tool that I'm aware of can do this), but the plastic "clip" just doesn't LOCK into place. I got them to sit in place, but they make themselves go free. Annoying. Thanks for the links! IF it's ok with you, I'll like to copy them and paste them on this thread?

How did you screw your seat sensors up? Anyway, I plan on putting a sheet of telfon to protect them from the "heat" of the warmers (I bought a pair of heaters for the winter). I've heard that many professional installers just put the warmers on top of the sensors (even though Honda recommends NOT to).

That looks really impressive and high-end. That would a great choice for me if my fabric seats get worn out. I'm surprised it went on for you so well, it looks like factory quality.
I agree. That's the look I'm going for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, adding my pictures to this thread would be great! I couldn't figure out how to do it. As for the snaps, it's been a couple months since we installed it, so I don't remember exactly, the next time I see my friend I'll ask him how he got the plastic things to lock into place.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
The painfully slow process.

I was going to use "metal o-rings" to secure the leather to the assembly, but saw that on the OEM cloth, only the "plastic edge" (with a slit in the cloth) held it in.

Moving along..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts