8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
thinkin about an RX-8?!?!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, I've finally come to a semi-decision. And after many weeks of thinking and many prior months of thought. I will begin the recruiting process soon. (after my right hand's fully healed) I've thought long and hard about this and have considered everything possible from the good to the bad.

My calling was heard and answered. I will talking to a recruiter in the next couple of days, and will find out more on my physical condition.

Just wanted to give my 8thCivic fam a heads up on my plans...

I will soon begin my journey in becoming... A Marine.

·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Type X said:
Listen to bullet and a target

www.myspace.com/citizencope

BUT sadly i can't change your mind......

but don't do it :)

very interesting song. things like this gets me thinking at times. is it the right or wrong thing to do (at this time anyways)? politics, governments, and all that crap. what's actually there and what needs to be done... I know everything happens for a reason.

My leadership skills are needed.

·
Banned
3,117 Posts
k20z3Vo said:
very interesting song. things like this gets me thinking at times. is it the right or wrong thing to do (at this time anyways)? politics, governments, and all that crap. what's actually there and what needs to be done... I know everything happens for a reason.

My leadership skills are needed.

Leadership skills are needed in 100,000 different positions across the continental united states and abroad that don't entail carrying a firearm .

While i'm not going to go into a deep seeded debate about it.... i REALLLLLLLY think you should reconsider

·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Type X said:
Leadership skills are needed in 100,000 different positions across the continental united states and abroad that don't entail carrying a firearm .
you're right....

Type X said:
While i'm not going to go into a deep seeded debate about it.... i REALLLLLLLY think you should reconsider
that's why it is a semi-decision. still have somethings to go over with the family.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Not my thing, I would only consider it as a last resort or as a way to start your life anew. But good luck nonetheless!

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
you should really look at the other branches also, it all depends on what you wanna do, if you want to be a gun toting guy then i guess the marines is good for you. the other branches have really good jobs that will ensure you with a great job when you get out. for me instance i am in the navy and i am in the nuclear field( i operate a nuclear reactor on a submarine). its in the top for advancement out of all branches. enlistment bonus up to 12K, highest reenlistment bonuses ( i just reenlisted a lil over a week ago for 75K ) and not to mention most people in this field when they get out easily get jobs for over 70K and thats with no college degree. there is a company out there looking for people in this field with startoff of like 105K, sign on bonus and 50K towards home purchase.

just make sure you make the right choice, i didnt do any research before i joined but luckily i landed in a great field. good luck with whatever you choose

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
lxxsilencexxp said:
thats cool bro. i just took the ASVAB this morning, im shipping out in september, to the most unappriciated service, the U.S. Coast Guard.
I have a good friend who's a Coastie! :love: Coasties!

Great decision! :thumb: I think it's one of the best bets to help serve your country; you stay in domestic seas, generally too!

·
Registered
301 Posts
lxxsilencexxp said:
thats cool bro. i just took the ASVAB this morning, im shipping out in september, to the most unappriciated service, the U.S. Coast Guard.
I've got a couple friends at the Coast Guard Academy. They got to raid a boat with a few tons worth the coke, and got to sink said boat. Cool pics to say the least.

Anyways to the OP, I've had several friends who have served/are serving in the Marines, one of whom died last fall in Iraq. Not a single one of them ever regretting joining and the one's who have "served their sentence" as I call it, have forever become better people.

Personally I'm too lazy for bootcamp, although the Marines and Army said with my test scores I could pretty much do anything, I figured I'd be better off in college.

Either way, good luck man.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd agree with a couple of the other people who've said to look into other branches of service. Figure out what it is you really want to do or eventually become. Say you want to be an engineer...the air force or coast guard would offer you a lot of opportunities to learn and use your head and still come out in one piece in 20 years to enjoy your retirement.

In the army and marines, you are, and will always be, a soldier, a gun-toting presence to be sent to the middle east first.

I know a LOT of people who have been sent over there...none of them liked it. Joining the marines or army greatly increases your risk of being deployed for years (My bf's brother was in Iraq for 18 straight months and is going back after less than a year of being home.) Think about how you would feel having to kill somebody. My ex carried a lot of guilt and had a LOT of social problems after he got back from Iraq after what he'd seen and done. It led to the end of our 5 year relationship...so really give it some thought. If the marines are truly the only thing you will be happy doing then I nor anybody else will be able to dissuade you, but think about what you're signing over to do, and what you want out of life in the years to come.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Why a marine, why not army. (Bias) Im just saying if you want a specific job then the army is the way to go. It's a good compromise between being hardcore and gaining some skills. Think about it man.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Cyprinid said:
I'd agree with a couple of the other people who've said to look into other branches of service. Figure out what it is you really want to do or eventually become. Say you want to be an engineer...the air force or coast guard would offer you a lot of opportunities to learn and use your head and still come out in one piece in 20 years to enjoy your retirement.

In the army and marines, you are, and will always be, a soldier, a gun-toting presence to be sent to the middle east first.
:yeahthat:

You mentioned you had your leadership abilities you wanted to put to good use. Even if you don't want to be a civilian like Type X mentioned, the Coasties, Nat'l Guard and AF have TONS of opportunities which will keep you safer, closer to your loved ones, tons of opportunities for you and every reason to use your leadership skills.

If your heart is set on the Marines, then good job, I respect ALL our soldiers. But I just want to make sure you're 100% sure that this is what you want. There are just so many other possibilities to go into that will let you do what the Marines would make happen for you.

Think about it. Good luck if your heart is set on it. Just remember there isn't no backing out. You're committed more than any chick and a ring can snag ya. :eek:hnoes: :redface:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts