8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here's how to disassemble a k20z3 engine.

Why do this ?
valve replacement
cam install
k20a2 oil pump installation
ARP rod bolt installation
bearing inspection
blown head gasket
timing chain replacement
those are just a few

assuming the valve cover is already uninstalled, this is how to do it.

50mm crank pulley removal key is needed, along with 19mm socket. long breaker bars are needed as this thing is torqued down real tight.

14mm socket to remove 4 timing cover mount bolts

10mm socket to remove timing cover bolts, there are 3 that go from the oil pan into the cover and the rest are forward facing

pry cover off

here's what we're looking at now, the timing components

remove cam pulsar plate by hand

pull back on chain tensioner guide(guide on the left) and put pin into timing chain tensioner hole, remove 2 10mm bolts on TCT and remove the TCT. Remove 3 10mm bolt on chain guide and remove chain guide(guide on the right)

loosen 2 cam tower bolts with 12mm socket and remove chain cover

pull of the timing chain

loosen cam cap bolts with 12mm socket

use this sequence for proper loosening sequence

loosen 2 10mm bolts on rocker assembly on cyl # 4 side (flywheel side)

lift off rocker assembly, careful as it will push to separate keep a firm grip until you place it down in a secure area

cylinder head removal

remove lost motion springs and set aside(preferably near rocker assembly)

loosen and remove 10 head bolts, the socket I used was a 9/16th star socket.

use this sequence to avoid warpage

place cylinder head aside in secure area

now we see some pistons, I sprayed mine with wd40 to clean off the carbon buildup hence the weird look.

remove 2 14mm bolts and remove ac compressor bracket from oil pan

spin motor around on engine stand

loosen and remove 10mm bolts holding the oil pan onto the block, off memory there are 22 of them

big flat head screwdriver and pry off the pan, there are 2 wedges to do this 1 on each side. do this carefully to break the seal then lift it off

loosen and remove 3 10mm bolts and remove the oil chain tensioner.

loosen 2 14mm and 2 12mm bolts from the oil pump, lift and move oil pump until you're able to remove the oil pump chain.

remove oil pump

short block after cleaning

and all the parts that we just removed.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
non yet :) i wont be doing engine work for a while. but i think there is an online manual for the k20 right with torque specs? you should edit that in you OP.

I can totally see some kick over toquing and braking bolts or stripping out the aluminum haha........ damn

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
yaaaaa but once they remove the parts, they willll have to put it back together. most of these kids dont even know that they need varying torque for bolts.

but all in all i love this thread, *bookmarked*

and PS why are all the 8thgen Si enthusiasts everywhere BUT nor cal?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
non yet :) i wont be doing engine work for a while. but i think there is an online manual for the k20 right with torque specs? you should edit that in you OP.

I can totally see some kick over toquing and braking bolts or stripping out the aluminum haha........ damn
i know a couple of cool norcal si owners, they drive all the way down here for some work on their cars.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts