8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parts/changes were applied to the K20A to gain greater HP then the k20 in our SI's??

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know they dont have balance shafts like our motor and they have a different intake manifold
Just to be clear.. the K20A = the euro Type R engine, correct? just reading now about K series and the RSX-S had two dif engines right? K20A(something, i think A1) and the K20z1 in later model years? Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The DC5's and FD2's use K20A's theres no A1 as for 02-04 RSX-s use K20A2 and the 05-06 RSX-s use K20Z1 and we use the later version...the K20Z3
edit:03-06 Accord Euro Type-R and JDM EP3's use K20A's also

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
^there is no A1
edit: DC2=B18C DC5=K20A

·
Registered
202 Posts
agreed the reason there is no a1 is because the k20a is the original motor and then there was the a2 for 2nd variation and then the a3 and so and so forth until they went to z1 and z3 which are still just variations of the original k20a but with slightly different internals or different intake manifolds or different cams or in the case of k20z3 balance shafts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
k20a is the godliest...

·
Registered
162 Posts
K20a?

Are you talking about the 1999 date k20a 160 horse first ed
k series, or the k20r that dosent show the R in japan listings?

The k20r Is 220ps with 11.5 to 1 comp pistons and a finer sand cast in the ports of the head to make a "casted" port and polish thereby elimanating the expensive porting on the type R b18c5.This saved money with the newer gen k type r motors.

Eliminate the R type head with the typs s k20a2 head and you have the k20z1
210ps motor from the 05 rsx-s.

The k20z3 has a hotter tune and a better manifold than both these cars but
tha slightly less aggresive cams from the 200ps k20a2 ala 2002 type s.

But our k20z3 has the type r final drive and lsd that the k20z1 cars are missing. Also a tsx sith gear for better highway cruising.
To get the best of all worlds a Si needs type r cams,a type r head, +1/2 pt compresion. A computer tune might be needed.

Do this and you will be there. Thats simply it.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Are you talking about the 1999 date k20a 160 horse first ed
k series, or the k20r that dosent show the R in japan listings?

The k20r Is 220ps with 11.5 to 1 comp pistons and a finer sand cast in the ports of the head to make a "casted" port and polish thereby elimanating the expensive porting on the type R b18c5.This saved money with the newer gen k type r motors.

Eliminate the R type head with the typs s k20a2 head and you have the k20z1
210ps motor from the 05 rsx-s.

The k20z3 has a hotter tune and a better manifold than both these cars but
tha slightly less aggresive cams from the 200ps k20a2 ala 2002 type s.

But our k20z3 has the type r final drive and lsd that the k20z1 cars are missing. Also a tsx sith gear for better highway cruising.
To get the best of all worlds a Si needs type r cams,a type r head, +1/2 pt compresion. A computer tune might be needed.

Do this and you will be there. Thats simply it.
theres no k20r

·
Registered
162 Posts
there was no k20r?

Thats why I said it is not reffered to as a k20r in japan.
there is no part number difference for the 160 horse k20a
released in japan in 1999 or the 220 horse model in the type R but for reference most of us call it the k20ar or k20r from what ive seen.

The tsx cams are more aggresive but the question was compared
to the type r moter not the tsx. If you want to mix a tsx in keep the
bottom end with all the other stuff mentioned and have a k24 hybrid. You will have to realy beef up the bottom end though and beware the rod ratio
issues involved with rpms. I was just trying to answer the question asked.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thats why I said it is not reffered to as a k20r in japan.
there is no part number difference for the 160 horse k20a
released in japan in 1999 or the 220 horse model in the type R but for reference most of us call it the k20ar or k20r from what ive seen.

The tsx cams are more aggresive but the question was compared
to the type r moter not the tsx. If you want to mix a tsx in keep the
bottom end with all the other stuff mentioned and have a k24 hybrid. You will have to realy beef up the bottom end though and beware the rod ratio
issues involved with rpms. I was just trying to answer the question asked.
:1: Thank you

·
Registered
25,210 Posts
is it worth putting k20a ITR Cams on my stock k20z3.
note:motor is completely stock. future plans include i/h/e, flash pro, and end result will most likely be boost thanks guys

1 - 20 of 29 Posts