8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this article in Sport Compact Car magazine and thought why could'nt we use the k-pro unit to control everything? I just want to see what everyone has to think about this. I have the paragraph below and here is the link to the article.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0709_sccp_k20_2007_honda_civic_si_and_fit/index.html

"The Fit seen here uses a K20Z3 from a 2006 Civic Si, although HASport recommends using a K20A2 from an RSX Type-S, because the curled intake manifold is required to clear the radiator support. The motor is stock, except for the custom work required to squeeze it into a Fit. This includes a custom header and exhaust from Jackson Racing and a slightly shortened AEM cold air intake. The engine is managed by a Hondata K-Pro unit, which piggybacks off the stock ECU. The stock computer is still responsible for operating the gauge cluster and accessories. The Driveshaft Shop built the custom axles necessary for the swap and, of course, HASport used its billet motor mount kit. For more details, check out our Hybrid How-To piece on page 104."

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
My friend put the k20z3 engine in his ep3 and got it tuned recently. I haven't talk to him about it or how its running.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
"Due to the sophisticated electronics of the Fit, use of a K-series ECU results in the throttle by wire, HVAC and dash instruments ceasing to work. Hondata hopes to release a Fit/K-Pro adapter harness to help with this problem in the near future. At the time of the Kits release the best bet is to run a stand alone K-series ECU and gauges to give you the necessary information for vehicle operation.":thumb:
In the future, the 06+ DBW cars should be able to be tuned by using the OBD2 port. So we should be seeing a USB to OBD2 type of cable available.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You could probably piggyback a k-pro ecu but you would still need to get a few other parts like a throttlebody, gas pedal, throttle cable etc.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Highrev1 said:
In the future, the 06+ DBW cars should be able to be tuned by using the OBD2 port. So we should be seeing a USB to OBD2 type of cable available.
how did you come to this conclusion?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
fa1 said:
You could probably piggyback a k-pro ecu but you would still need to get a few other parts like a throttle body, gas pedal, throttle cable etc.
wait... wut?

piggybacking the k-pro i meen the k-pro piggybacking our ecu. This meens that the k-pro would handle the engine vitals, fuel ,timing etc while the stock ecu controls throttle, dash signals that output to your gauges (speed, engine temp etc).

If you swap to a totally different ecu (RSX or the like with cable throttle) then you would need all that stuff not to mention a means of bypassing or getting the immobilizer to work since it is understood that our ecu has the immobilizer built into it.

I do believe Hondata will create a harness that will piggyback from out stock ecu. Its been done for other vehicles, its only a matter of time. They would be ridiculous to not do it since its an obvious money magnet for them.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
damnu said:
how did you come to this conclusion?
It is a common method on OBD-II cars. It utilizes software on a computer and a J-2534 type pass through device (used for the computer software to communicate via a USB port, through the OBD-II port in the car and ultimately to the ECM itself.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
blueroadster said:
It is a common method on OBD-II cars. It utilizes software on a computer and a J-2534 type pass through device (used for the computer software to communicate via a USB port, through the OBD-II port in the car and ultimately to the ECM itself.
Yeah, Subarus and Evos can be tuned/reflashed like this.

<---Waiting patiently for something like this to come out for the Si...

·
Registered
142 Posts
cation said:
<---Waiting patiently for something like this to come out for the Si...
Yea me to..I hate waiting but it'll be worth it. I wish someone like Cobb Tuning would come out with something because as of now there's really no threat to Hondata so they have no rush.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
There's been the whole rumor that there's a boosted z3 out there somewhere (always a friend of a friend saw a guy at a meet that said so) that has an a2 throttle body, a2 ecu & kpro and running rsx gauges in a custom display.

:shrugs:

This, on the other hand, is a good find. The fact that it seems that they're mainly working on an adapter for the gauges makes me smile. Too bad this doesn't even hint towards how soon it will be until you start seeing truly impressive fg2's and fa5's.

Hell, I'd like to see what the r18's are capable of... Something tells me that those could be little beasts.

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
yea it kinda sucks that people still havent discovered the great interwebs and the 8th civic forums. could be some einsteins out there with stuff we want lol

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
gOOD INFO to keep everyone hope up lol

·
Registered
883 Posts
Oh you mean like this?http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/383/AccessPORT-Drive-by-Wire-?category=43
From what ive read on Sti forums they have a MAF and MAP along with DBW and they use this OBD tool for tuning .Why is it so hard for us?

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Oh you mean like this?http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/383/AccessPORT-Drive-by-Wire-?category=43
From what ive read on Sti forums they have a MAF and MAP along with DBW and they use this OBD tool for tuning .Why is it so hard for us?
Yup, just like that. Does the STi utilize CAN? My thoughts as far as the delay on having a system like the AccessPORT for our cars is the following:

1) The 2006+ utilizes a CAN bus (CAN High and CAN Low) that Hondata in particular has not had to deal with in the past because they were use to converting OBD-II vehicles to an OBD-I based ECM. The CAN bus drives all of the gauges and electronics that you see or operate while in the car.

2) Hondata specifically understands the programming used in the stock ECM. That is why they are able to offer reflashes for our cars. I would bet that they are also taking their time in releasing a programmable unit in order to keep the immobilizer intact, not interfere with the CAN, and to be user friendly (some may also add so that they can make more money on the reflashes, but I won't go there :waiting:).

I don't mean to call out Hondata specifically, but in reality they evidently understand and know how to manipulate the programming used in the ECM very well. I am also aware that AEM is working on an EMS for our car and several other manufactures are doing the same.

Until these programmable units come out, I'll just be patiently waiting. I know Greddy has the e-Manage, but I am not willing to use that one.

Also, there is a sticky thread in this part of the forum that I started and shared quite a bit of information regarding the stock ECM. I would recommend taking a look at that thread and sharing your thoughts.

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
id put money that AEM beats hondata

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
id put money that AEM beats hondata
Insider knowledge or just a hunch? They both seemed to have started trying to come out with an EMS around the same time.

Either one does not matter to me as I am going to have to go through a learning curve anyway. I know how to use the Apexi PowerFC, but I've never heard anything about Apexi working on an application for the 2006+ Civic.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I would be willing there is a delay in order to ensure that no one can "copy" their setup :D Or steal any of their abilities, they need to put features in to ensure this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts