8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my friend installed my K & N SRI on my 2009 Civic LX Sedan, it's been giving me a problem on the CEL or the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. It's been coming on and off, and it's pissing me off. I told my friend to take a look at it, but he said that maybe my car couldn't handle all the air that's coming from the intake. Since he's a technician from our local honda dealership, he knew a lot of things about this, and he said that our engine is not like the SI, that's why its triggering the CEL.

However from what I read around here about this same problem, it could be the MAF that is not fully plugged in, getting too much dirt to the MAF Sensor, getting too much oil from the intake,forgot to put something back, didn't install it properly, and such.

What do you guys think about this? Also, the code for the CEL is PO171 code, and it says on the computer its lean bank 1. Can you guys explain to me more about this. I seemed to be getting different answers every time i search for it.

And one more thing, about the CEL coming on and off, do you think it's bad and causing more damage to the car, because I'm thinking about putting my stock intake back if this happen again, but if this problem is not that serious, do you think I should just keep it in my car and ignore it?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
id say have someone else take a look at it... just make sure the intake is fully plugged in ... like run it then stop and check the hosing... it may be a loose hose or one that wasnt clamped right leaked or a cut
any of those can be shooting excess air into the dam which isnt good

as for running lean... thats naturual when you run an intake regardless of cai or sri ... more air is going in for your gas ratio makign it run lean ...

take a pic of ur engine bay and it may help

my .02

best of lucks... il check back later if you got a pic but ur best bet is have someone just check it at dealer as well or do a slight tug (not to hard to rip anything just move it to make sure its conected and not leaking)
some people have let their car running to see if a hiss comes from intake meaning air leak as well

hope this helps

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
id say have someone else take a look at it... just make sure the intake is fully plugged in ... like run it then stop and check the hosing... it may be a loose hose or one that wasnt clamped right leaked or a cut

as for running lean... thats naturual when you run an intake regardless of cai or sri ... more air is going in for your gas ratio makign it run lean ...

my .02

best of lucks... il check back later if you got a pic but ur best bet is have someone just check it at dealer as well or do a slight tug (not to hard to rip anything just move it to make sure its conected and not leaking)
some people have let their car running to see if a hiss comes from intake meaning air leak as well

hope this helps

this help a bit man, but I'm gonna take a pic right now so i can upload it here and you can take a look at it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
did you disconnect the negative battery terminal when you installed it? the ecu needs to reset its MAF readings for the higher airflow the SRI gives you. its important. Also I'm SURE you got the right SRI for your car right? You didn't just buy a used Si SRI and plunk it on? :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you disconnect the negative battery terminal when you installed it? the ecu needs to reset its MAF readings for the higher airflow the SRI gives you. its important. Also I'm SURE you got the right SRI for your car right? You didn't just buy a used Si SRI and plunk it on? :)

my friend disconnect the battery when he took off the stock air intake, then i reminded him to disconnect it right before he put the k & n intake. Yes, i got the right SRI for mine. I got it from K & N directly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am i supposed to disconnect the battery after installing it or before installing it? because we disconnected it before installation, then put the negative battery back after installing it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
try installing back to stock, and reset to the stock setting. afterward install again slower making sure you did it correctly even letting your car run about 10 minutes after the installation. afterall installing intake doesnt take long, especially sri

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking about doing that or have someone else to look at it. I'm gonna upload pics soon for you guys to see whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already posted the pics, so if you guys can just take a look at it, and try to see if there's anything that need to be fix. I'm sorry for the bad quality. I'll post a better pic soon.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

my .02

hope this helps

did you see the pics yet?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I see em
I'd say frst check that one hose that's rubbnin on the sri piping cuz that cud be getting stretched out or popping out sometimes
a few people get that problem with some intakes that have a less than perfect fit

other than that I agree with the guy above try turnin car off with battery off then put stock and turn on then drive a little so it resets
then turn off car and put back ur k&n... I've never taken off battery when doing it an it works... Try doin it with battery hooked if possible it may not be for urs tho ... That way it doesn't reset n pop error with the aftermarket

let me know what happens

·
Registered
7 Posts
So did it go away? Just installed mine the day before. CEL Came up last night. I forgot to idle after install. (1) Just to confirm, Disco for 10 min then idle for 10 min with nothing on or idle till fan comes on? Think I'm just going to disco at last break and idle after work. I'll check the Maf for dirt and oil when inter home. (2) If it needs cleaning do I just blow I off with compressed air lightly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts