8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the best way to clean an K&N drop in filter?

Do you have to buy their kit?

Or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
i have had 3 K&N filters on previous cars, and always bought the kit, cleaner and oil. I am sure you can clean it another way, but for $10, I am not sure it is worth potentially ruining the filter.

I do remember this, do not try to dry the filter using compressed air. you can rip that cottom gauze up pretty quick. I drop the orig filter in while the K&N dries

I did not notice any increase in mpg, and the power increase is barely noticed. it seems to run a little stronger on sudden acceleration, but that could be due to the fact my motor is broken in now. I put the K&N filter in right after I bought it. I am going to use syn-blend on my next oil change. I change my own oil to save some $. I can do it for 1/2 the dealer price. I am hoping for a slight increase in mpg. I get 25/35 most of the time, but it drops off in winter. the 10% ethanol blend causes mpg to go down more in cold weather as opposed to warm weather.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have had 3 K&N filters on previous cars, and always bought the kit, cleaner and oil. I am sure you can clean it another way, but for $10, I am not sure it is worth potentially ruining the filter.

I do remember this, do not try to dry the filter using compressed air. you can rip that cottom gauze up pretty quick. I drop the orig filter in while the K&N dries

I did not notice any increase in mpg, and the power increase is barely noticed. it seems to run a little stronger on sudden acceleration, but that could be due to the fact my motor is broken in now. I put the K&N filter in right after I bought it. I am going to use syn-blend on my next oil change. I change my own oil to save some $. I can do it for 1/2 the dealer price. I am hoping for a slight increase in mpg. I get 25/35 most of the time, but it drops off in winter. the 10% ethanol blend causes mpg to go down more in cold weather as opposed to warm weather.

Do you always use the 10% blend? I have always used the gas that is 10 cents more then that. I have heard the 10% ethanol blend isnt good for the car?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think, the best way to do it cheaply is use a diluted solution of dishwasher cleaner dip the filter in it soak it for some time and then rinse it under running tap water for like 5 minutes or untill clean, Then dry it but tapping all the excess water off or by using a blow dryer. Then use a good oil despensing sprayer fill it with some seweing machine oil and spray it equally over the filament, unless there is some specific oil to be used. The idea being when the air is sucked in through the filter filament the dirt get stuck to the oil and clean air flows through.
J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts