8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading in some other forum that some Si owners are using the K&N drop in filters from a ford focus (part #33-2819) so I decided to test it out. Well first off its a perfect fit, drops right in, and second, the K20 comes alive! From 2nd to 3rd it still pulls hard! with the stock filter, shifting from 2nd to 3rd did'nt pull as hard. the sound is nice. I have an AEM cold air intake in my garage, but decided that Im going to sell it and get the short ram that comes out in a few weeks from AEM. The rainy season is approaching and I drive through some pretty low lying areas, and don't want to take any chances w/ a CAI that does'nt fit a bypass valve...So if anyone is interested it will go for sale, brand new never used, bought from this site! I will be installing my exhaust and race headers after my 1st oil change, so watch for updates...later

:flame:

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
wow, well I'm glad to hear that the drop in does in fact work.... and works well from the sound of it.

Aem short rams are still showing backorder on distribution as of today. I'll keep my eyes on it.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
does it really work, or is it just sounds like it does.. Get it on the dyno and see if there really is gains.. Sometimes the less-restricted air can make the engine 'sound' louder which gives the feeling of more power.

I'm not going to argue with you, but the dyno's will determine if there were gains or not.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
webby said:
it'll be in polished/red/blue. Don't quote me on price, but it should be around 190 for the short ram shipped.

quoted :party:

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i hope you don't look like that in real person

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
well i decided to do my own tests tonight. Air temps were 35 degrees F.

I drove the car stock for about 20 minutes, making sure it was hot.. I took it from 50-70mph about 7 times to really make sure it was ready for the butt-dyno.

After I felt it was okay, i took it on this one private road from first gear to mid-third gear - I did NOT launch. I was able to chirp first gear... power felt good, especially in the cold weather.

Second trip, I took off the snorkle from the airbox leading down to the lower front bumper.
No launch again, I felt more low-mid end power. I spun the tires for about 2 seconds going into 2nd. I decided to take it on the highway w/o going over the speed limit.. power felt increased. Same air temps.

Third trip.. i took out the air filter, with snorkle off too - didn't see much of a gain from trip 2.. felt the same.

4th trip.. put the snorkle back on, air filter out - felt like stock.. only a small chirp going into 2nd.

5th trip... bone stock again.. i think removing the snorkle helped out a little in the low end area.. maybe some mid-end. The engine is definitely louder. Only way to know is to take it to the track i guess.

i'm going to work on my own short ram.. i just have to fabricate something for the air sensor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice post. I went to the local Advance Auto and what a difference. The OEM was thick. I can't believe the amount of material they used for something so simple. I paid 23.00 and could feel and instant difference. At least this can take some stress off of the waiting game.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sounds interesting. Its probably not worth spending the cash to actually dyno this since it probably only makes 1 or 2 hp.... but it would be cool to see!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I ran better times with K&N drop-in then with my custom short ram on the track..however I think this is due to the fact that a larger amount of air is being sucked in, and the stock exhaust is'nt flowing it out quick enough..hence I have to launch the car higher then 3000rpms or it will bogg off the line, I have a feeling once i put my race headers and axhaust later this week, that my problem will be solved...or when I get around to dynoing the car.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
954K20_SI said:
well I ran better times with K&N drop-in then with my custom short ram on the track..however I think this is due to the fact that a larger amount of air is being sucked in, and the stock exhaust is'nt flowing it out quick enough..hence I have to launch the car higher then 3000rpms or it will bogg off the line, I have a feeling once i put my race headers and axhaust later this week, that my problem will be solved...or when I get around to dynoing the car.
how did you have your short ram installed? I tried making my own and i've had problems with engine misfire and stalling. I tried mounting the sensor in different locations with no luck.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow..I have'nt had any problems like that..just how are you doing this? I cut the AEM cold air intake..bold move..yes..but love the fact that I absouletly never have to worry about hydrolock...sounds good performs well..just have to launch it differently then i would stock.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I used a 90 degree elbow, with about a few inches of straight pipe and the filter. The sensor is mounted right on the straight pipe and its giving me a lot of problems..

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I have an EX.. but from what I understand, we have the same air sensors.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts