8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wrecked my Civic EX Sedan yesterday - Declared Total Loss

:help: An idiot with no license & no insurance ran a red light at an intersection and I T-boned his Taurus mangling my front end yesterday afternoon. It spun my car halfway around and then went down the hill hitting an Audi A6 head-on and then the Audi backed into a pickup truck behind it. Just before the impact I could feel the seatbelt pre-tensioner strapping me into my seat immediately followed by my driver's side airbag getting inflated.
The idiot got arrested on the spot and got hauled away to jail.
I went by the body shop this morning and the guy told me that every front-end body shell would have to be replaced and anything immediately behind these body shells would also have to be replaced. The force of the impact ripped the front bumper right off and pushed in AC condenser & radiator right up against the catalytic converter. Both headlights are shattered and several reservoir tanks are also busted. What's even worse is front-end unit-body frame is bent and they'll have to pull it out with a machine to see what else is damaged inside. The guy also said that the whole front-end has shifted to the direction of passenger side and it also messed up the front suspension.
When I mentioned that I couldn't shift my gears after the accident, he said that could be a sign of damage to the transmission which could also mean that the impact could have gotten to the engine also. The last thing he mentioned was how the force of the impact transmitted to the sheet metal of the roof around the sunroof and made very small ripples and that it would have to be repainted after getting filler & sanding treatment. He basically said that he'll probably find more damages as he starts working his was into the hood and that there is a possibility of the car being declared "totaled".
After seeing all the damage to the car, I'm hoping that State Farm would declare it totaled. Since I don't have a gap insurance, I'm sure I'll have to shell out a couple of grands to get out of the car but I just can't imagine keeping the car for the next 5 years after this much damage. All this happened after 3 weeks of owning the car and putting on 690 miles on it with no payment made to the bank yet. Any advice on how to handle the matter would be appreciated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
oooh damn man..... im sorry

personally if somone hit me within the first few months of me having a new car.... i would break all their bones =\

hope this works out for you.....

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
my gosh. First- welcome to the site - sorry to hear about your accident.

If you have that much damage, I don't see how they can't total the car out. Anytime you deal with frame damage, it's a big deal. And it sounds like your roof of your car is obviously out of wack as well - rippled. This isn't something that can be fixed that easily. I would suggest talking to your insurance agent again, and explaining your concerns with the car never being "right" again. Sounds like the car really got twisted from the side impact, and that can cause the car to never really drive 100% right again. They can straighten the frame, but usually other things are sacrificed down the road. You may have more rattles and issues with the car later down the road. If you're dealing with transmission issues as well - I'd guess they will total the car out for sure. If the tranny has issues, they'll more than likely be costly repairs to it and the engine as well.

Talk to the insurance agent and explain your concerns. Tell him you know the car will never be right again, and you want it totalled out. If it's anywhere close, usually they can try to help. Sounds like you have some costly repairs ahead. Post some pics if you can. I'd like to see it if possible? I've seen a lot of accidents in pics before, and can usually guestimate if it can be totalled.

You might be surprised on the gap if they do total it out. You might not be at much of a loss.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice on this Webby. I really need all the help I can get on this. I will take some pics and post them on Monday when the body shop re-opens after the holidays. A guy at the body shop did tell me that it looked to him like around $8,000 to $9,000 repair just by looking at it. This guesstimate did not include any possible tranny or engine damage just the damages he could see on the outside. I'm not sure he figured in repair cost for the airbag control module, sensors and the airbag unit itself but he said just those things can cost up to $3,000.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
yah - airbags are not cheap. Once they start digging deeper they always end up finding more repairs. I'll wait for the pics, but sorry to hear about the loss. At least you were ok?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I hope they do total your car (I bet they do if there is frame damage) because it really will never be the same again. If there was frame damage that gets reported and will seriously affect the resale value of your car. It sounds like you are OK though and that is the most important thing. Thumbs up to Honda for making a safe car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't injured. I just banged my right knee a little to either the dash or to the parking break. I have a 5 inch long strip of bruise to the underside of my forearm. Thanks for asking.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Welcome to 8thcivic.com :wavey:
Hate to hear about your misfortune. :eek: :banghead: I was hit head on by a drunk idiot with no license and insurance, so I know how bad it sucks! Hope you had uninsured motorist on your policy,which I'm sure you did it being a brand new car, I did not on my 69 Nova. I was totally screwed!! Anyways I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i know i may seem unsensitive when i say this....

but sue dammit.... sue him for all he is worth =P then buy a porshe.... helll i would..... would teach the bastid not to drink and drive... and hit my new car

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've found these pics on one of the salvage yards' website. Damages to my car looks almost identical to what this car had suffered. The only difference is this car suffered more damage to the passinger side but mine suffered more damage to the driver's side. I guess you can think of it as looking at this car through a mirror. Another difference is this car did not have its airbags deployed but mine had its driver side airbag deployed. I guess they've declared this car totaled and I'm hoping Sate Farm would do the same for me. The fact that one of my airbags was deployed should help me getting the car totaled but my car being practically brand new would work againt me. What do you guys think? I'll post pics of my car on Monday.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
that actually doesn't look THAT bad to be honest with ya, but we're also talking about a 7thgen which is worth less money. I'm guessing there was frame damage on this and that was the straw that broke the camels back. I can't really tell if the A pilar has damage going to the roof or not, but that's usually a deciding factor too. To have this totaled out, he probably suffered some engine, tranny work. Obviously the radiator is junk.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm hoping following factors would help me in declaring the vehicle totaled.

1. Frame damage & shifting
2. Driver's side airbag deployment
3. Tiny ripples around sunroof pointed out by the body shop
4. Possible tranny damage (was unable to shift after the wreck)
5. Possibility of the repair taking a long time (the body shop told me it may take extra time to get parts in since the car is so new)
6. Possible high salvage value of my car? (not sure about this)

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is horrible news, but this idiot would have had a license and insurance if was going to be worth sueing!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
sucks! go to the bodyshop of your choice, if you are in DC I know a good one. I would not go to one of the insurance body shops.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here are the pictures of my wreck. I got in the car and tried to shift with clutch depressed all the way in but I could only get it into 2nd, 4th and reverse with some struggle and couldn't even force it into 1st, 3rd and 5th gear. I think there definitely some tranny damage. It also looked to me the engine got pushed in a little on the driver's side but it could be my eyes. I could only peek through the gap between crumpled hood and passenger side fender.

*****I've removed the old pics so that I can post the new ones taken after the tear down at the body shop. Check out my latest update for the new pics.*****

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I can't even imagine them wanting to repair this. That looks totalled to me. You definately have frame damage- the car looks twisted. The roof line looks messed up, and that's not an easy fix. I would call up your insurance agent and have them meet you at the yard. Have them look it over and price it out again. I would not want to have that car back after repairs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Webby,
Thanks for your advice. I just got off the phone with the body shop and they're telling me that the car is so new it won't come up on their system and that State Farm is sending their adjuster to do their own estimate. The guy also told me a tranny on a vehicle like that runs around 4-5 grands if it's to be replaced completely. Adding that to the $8,000 to $9,000 guesstimate on what the guy could see from outside, it'll definitely come pretty close to the 75% of the vehicle market value. I guess I'm gonna have to call State Farm and find out when they're going to be there so that I can meet them onsite.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
actually the tranny isn't that much in cost - maybe 300 bucks or so? The D series motor and trans could be picked up for like 600 bucks. But what you have going on your side is labor cost. It isn't a 5 min job to pull a transmission and put another in. You could also have clutch/flywheel/etc damage on top of that. Motor mounts could be damaged, along with other stuff once they dig deeper.

Another thing that is going to come into play is "getting parts". The honda rep by me said the biggest problem they are dealing with right now is production. They have backups in the assembly process which is slowing up cars being made. If they can't get parts quick - you could be tied up for a while.

state farm will probably want the body shop estimate first. Just wait on them I guess.

I can't imagine this only costing 9k to repair. But, you also have to remember - you don't have to do 17k worth of damage (or whatever you paid) to "total the car out". Some companies total vehicles at 51 percent of its actual worth; some total at 80 percent. Time will tell I guess. Sorry that you're going through this - I know it must really suck right now. Hang in there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts