8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st.
looks like the digital speedo has 3 digits? anyone know what the max is? :)
i dont mean the max speed...its prolly governed @ around 115mph....
but if u switch the chip out will it go up to 999mph?

...theoretically of course.

2nd.
lotta talk about gas mileage. whats the sweet spot in 5th gear? what speed gets the best mileage?

damn, this a sweet ride...

·
Registered
3 Posts
DipshifT said:
1st.
looks like the digital speedo has 3 digits? anyone know what the max is? :)
i dont mean the max speed...its prolly governed @ around 115mph....
but if u switch the chip out will it go up to 999mph?

...theoretically of course.

2nd.
lotta talk about gas mileage. whats the sweet spot in 5th gear? what speed gets the best mileage?

damn, this a sweet ride...
What kind of question are those. Obviously the lower the rpm, the lower the fuel comsumption. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Your going to burn more fuel if you go 70mph compare to 60mph right,. Its common sense. As far as the speedometer, who cares if it goes to 999, what kind of question are you asking anyways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
unrated said:
What kind of question are those. Obviously the lower the rpm, the lower the fuel comsumption. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Your going to burn more fuel if you go 70mph compare to 60mph right,. Its common sense. As far as the speedometer, who cares if it goes to 999, what kind of question are you asking anyways.
Perfect reply!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx 4 the help...

unrated said:
Obviously the lower the rpm
um...ok, so 5mph in 5th is the most efficient?

·
Registered
26 Posts
How about everyone stops acting like a jackass and help the guy out... keep your negative replies to yourselves....I would help you brother-man but I'm waiting on the SI.... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahh...

your right, its got a imperial/standard conversion button left of the steering column!:p

thnx phrank

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Also, as far as 5th gear goes, you'll burn less gass if it's a long thrown gear than if it's a shorter throw gear. That's how the Si maintains a higher gas mileage than other cars without sacrificing performance (that plus it has 6 gears instead of 5). I dunno what the gear ratio for the EX is so I can't really help you there. But there are a lot of factors when considering gas mileage. Do you drive with the windows down? Do you check your tire pressure? Clean or dirty air filter? How often is the AC on? Spark plugs....blah blah....a lot to consider to get the best gas mileage outta your car. Congrats on your aquistion though. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Short thrown gear/long thrown gear??? The actual ratio is all that maters. With some 6 speed, 6th is so high that it lugs the motor and makes it less efficent. The Si doesn't get good mileage for what it is either. An LS1 Camaro will get 28mpg and will run a 13.5 1/4. The Si gets 31 and runs a 15.1. The Si is nothing to be bragging about. Also I have put 5k on my '06 EX coupe w/manual and you don't want to cruise below 60 or it lugs. I can get 39.5(I have done it for 3 tanks) if you run right at 65 and let it slow down to 62 or so up steep hills. If I run 70-72 it will get 37 and that is even with taking off hard on the line. As far as you display question, I would suspect it will read all the way up to 199 if you could get there.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
grancuda said:
Short thrown gear/long thrown gear??? The actual ratio is all that maters. With some 6 speed, 6th is so high that it lugs the motor and makes it less efficent. The Si doesn't get good mileage for what it is either. An LS1 Camaro will get 28mpg and will run a 13.5 1/4. The Si gets 31 and runs a 15.1. The Si is nothing to be bragging about. Also I have put 5k on my '06 EX coupe w/manual and you don't want to cruise below 60 or it lugs. I can get 39.5(I have done it for 3 tanks) if you run right at 65 and let it slow down to 62 or so up steep hills. If I run 70-72 it will get 37 and that is even with taking off hard on the line. As far as you display question, I would suspect it will read all the way up to 199 if you could get there.
Gear ratio = either a short-thrown gear or a long-thrown gear.....(thrown meaning to go forward...when upshifting, you have to move forward...therefore the gear ratio will be a short throw forward or a longer throw forward to redline...)
And please show me where I was "bragging" about the Si....I said that for it's performance it has a higher gas mileage than other performance models, those being within it's class, which is true. I say that because I've driven those other cars. We're not talking about Camaro's or 1/4 mile times. By the way, taking hard off the line doesn't help your mileage....

·
Registered
57 Posts
as far as the speedo goes, the car max out at 157mph.
no i dont have one yet, but TOV did it and it got 157mph.
about the gas, if you drive slow and at the same speed most of the time you will save gas, as simple as that. there is no real answer to it, it all has to do with your driving

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
unrated said:

The point is correct, but your logic is wrong. true that if the RPMs go up you will use a tad but more gas. But the true effect is that the wind resistance will go up and use fuel FAR faster than the RPMs rising a few hundred or even a thousand will affect it. In fact you use 15% of gas going 70MPH than 55MPH just based on wind resistance (or drag) on most cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
skittleslegend said:
Gear ratio = either a short-thrown gear or a long-thrown gear.....(thrown meaning to go forward...when upshifting, you have to move forward...therefore the gear ratio will be a short throw forward or a longer throw forward to redline...)
And please show me where I was "bragging" about the Si....I said that for it's performance it has a higher gas mileage than other performance models, those being within it's class, which is true. I say that because I've driven those other cars. We're not talking about Camaro's or 1/4 mile times. By the way, taking hard off the line doesn't help your mileage....
I am guessing that you are talking about a close ratio transmission with all your short thrown/long thrown little lesson, which has nothing to do with the gas mileage. Your statement "you'll burn less gass if it's a long thrown gear than if it's a shorter throw gear" makes no sense, your cruising speed rpm is all that matters, not the shifting. When I said I was taking hard off the line was indicating that I don't baby it to achieve that mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
grancuda said:
I can get 39.5(I have done it for 3 tanks) if you run right at 65 and let it slow down to 62 or so up steep hills.
sounds good. we dont have hills in FL, so ill be doin 65mph on my 70mi trek to school.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
grancuda said:
I am guessing that you are talking about a close ratio transmission with all your short thrown/long thrown little lesson, which has nothing to do with the gas mileage. Your statement "you'll burn less gass if it's a long thrown gear than if it's a shorter throw gear" makes no sense, your cruising speed rpm is all that matters, not the shifting. When I said I was taking hard off the line was indicating that I don't baby it to achieve that mileage.
shorting gearing in the first 5 gears achieves wicker acceleration. Sixth gear is highway cruising....

I wasn't talking about "shift up you save gas, shift down you lose gas". Either way, you'd get a tad more mileage out of it "babying" it versus taking hard off the line. I don't get these idiots who peel out of a gas station after filling up. What was the point in getting gas in the first place? :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keep the revs under 3500 because that's when the performance cam kicks in. Remember it's 'i-VTEC' so to keep the engine using the fuel economy cam you have to go easy on the throttle below 3500 or it will switch to give you more torque.

If you care to learn about the engine go to Honda's website and look in the news section there is an article and a video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a combination of engine load (manifold vacuum) & engine RPM (not throttle position - although related) that governs air/fuel ratio.

Civic Sedan and Coupe:

if you are an enthusiast you owe yourself to read the 2006 Honda Civic Powertrains article directly from Honda.

and here you will find some movies

·
Registered
332 Posts
hytong said:
Look closely at this. The HP ratings are SAE on the left. Now, I'm not sure exactly how SAE works, but I know it rates hp lower than the previously used method... Which caused the 210hp rating in the RSX-S to drop to 201hp.

Anywho, by looking at the above graph, the 127hp EX from the 05, it only hits 118hp on the SAE rating. Using backwards conversion of SAE to previously used rating, take 127/118 = 1.076. 1.076 x 140hp = 150hp in the 06 going by the 7th gen rating system.

I'm probably talking out of my ass, I've been known to do that from time to time, so feel free to call me on it ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
youngxlos said:
as far as the speedo goes, the car max out at 157mph.
no i dont have one yet, but TOV did it and it got 157mph.
about the gas, if you drive slow and at the same speed most of the time you will save gas, as simple as that. there is no real answer to it, it all has to do with your driving
157 in an 06 Civic? Are you kidding me? I top at about 145 and that's running at the top of 6th gear...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts