8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing major complaints on the paint issues & am beginning to wonder just how bad it really is. Is it a certain color? I know black b/c I've seen others posts & seen it in person on other people's cars.

I know a kid that lives near me has a NHBP Si & his paint looks, honestly, TERRIBLE. There are chips all over the hood where it shows white spots (I'm guessing the primer?) Then there are spots where it completely went through & there are rust spots about the size of quarters.

This really worries me since I may be putting a down payment on an Si tomorrow. Is it really that bad or is it mostly just the Black cars?

·
Registered
892 Posts
My '06 was horrible. There were chips on the hood, trunk, a spot missing around the foglights, etc.

My '07 is too new to tell. I'm sure its the same though.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The metallics really look like crap after a while. Reds and whites will look better after getting beat up. I had a nhbp em2 and it took so much work to take care of it, I could never get it clean enough.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
so true^

yea the paint is deffinately thin as others would say. rockchips and scratches are easy to come by with them. we love our Civic's but its deffinately been frustrating concerning the paint and such.

just within the past week i have read about 9 threads concerning paint jobs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a '99 Civic EX Coupe in the Black (I think it was Flamenco Black back then) & I always thought my paint looked really good. So with that said, has the quality gone down in recent years in your guys' opinion?

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
absolutely, paint quality is a 2 out of 10. i have an 07 si nhbp coupe and nearly 2 weeks of owning it i have a chip on my hood, bumper, and rear side bumper. but when all is said and done and you wash her nhbp is most impressive. besides thats what having insurance is for. let them pay to fix the blemishes. i will when i get more chips.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
its not bad compared to all other new car paint. new car paint in general, especially metallics are not what they used to be. that's why products like 3m clear film and xpel clear film are available. you will find cars from porsche to ford using the films, so if you don't want chips on a new car then i would put the film on

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
MBK said:
its not bad compared to all other new car paint. new car paint in general, especially metallics are not what they used to be. that's why products like 3m clear film and xpel clear film are available. you will find cars from porsche to ford using the films, so if you don't want chips on a new car then i would put the film on
im just going to repost my answer to your Q because this complaint/question gets thrown around a lot and the best way to protect paint is with these films so whatever new car you buy from whatever company you should consider it

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
MBK said:
im just going to repost my answer to your Q because this complaint/question gets thrown around a lot and the best way to protect paint is with these films so whatever new car you buy from whatever company you should consider it

I need to do some reading up on the clear-bra options cause I think it would be a very wise investment for someone like me who does the majority of their driving on the HW... :thumb:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got a Weather Tech stone deflecter for the hood and seems to be working thus far.

The bumper is still exposed however, but I just plan on getting it repainted in another year or two after it takes some abuse.

What would be a good price to get the bumper repainted?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Paint chips are unavoidable unless you don't drive the car. A Civic's paint is no different then other car's in it's price range. One coat of water based paint just like a Corolla.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts