8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just got back from having my almost new Michelin A/S tires taken off my two and a half week old Si Sedan and replaced with the all new Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires. Initial feeling is that these tires ride considerably nicer than the Michelins. Went around a few turns and the car seems to grip better with less slip angle from the tires. Tires are ZR rated and are supposed to perform top notch in the dry, wet and snow, all things we encounter here in Minnesota.

As I begin to really push the tires, I will post up as to how they are performing, but for now, I am extremely pleased with them.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagleF1AS_innov.html

This is what Goodyear has to say about them:
Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology
This premium performance touring tire lets you feel the road, not the rumble. Carbon Fiber helps stiffen the outer sidewall for enhanced responsiveness and a better feel for the road. A shock-absorbing InsuLayer™ made with DuPont™ KEVLAR® helps provide a smooth, quiet ride. Comes with the Eagle Performance Package.*

MotorTrend review: http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0705_goodyear_eagle_f1_all_season/

Kudos and double thumbs up to Tom aka The Piper who works at Discount Tire in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Any of you guys who live in the Twin Cities should talk to him about your tire needs. He is a fellow 8th Generation member, has a hot Si Coupe himself, and is super great to work with. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from some spirited driving. Two things I have noticed: First, the tires ride incredibly well, much better than the Michelin A/S that came with the car. The ride is very smooth and very quiet. Secondly, when going around cloverleafs and very tight turns, the car is much more predictable and holds its line much tighter than the Michelin's. Several times when I had taken the same turns with the Michelin's, the car had had a tendency to slide more. I didn't feel the confidence in the car like I do now.

For the time being, I would highly recommend getting these tires. Their price, ride and performance are quite a good deal IMO. Anyone in the Twin Cities area, look up Tom aka The Piper at Discount Tire in Eden Prairie. He'll make a deal for fellow 8th Generation members.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Awesome, I got those for my wife's EX last year. Those are great tires. I wanted to get them for my Si two months ago when I lost a tire on the stock AS but they weren't available yet in our size.

I went with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position, which are great btw. If I wear my 960's out I'll check out the new ResponsEdge.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A friend of mine had eagle f1's on his car, 2 laps on the nurburgring, and about 2 months regular driving and they were toast. I went with dunlop sport maxxx which are y rated (300kmph) and were about the same price.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
NighHawk8Gen said:
A friend of mine had eagle f1's on his car
Your buddy probably had the F1 GS D3's not the new F1 A/S that the OP has installed ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Zesti1 said:
Your buddy probably had the F1 GS D3's not the new F1 A/S that the OP has installed ;)
That's correct. I may have to do more reading :( Are there improvements with these models?

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monty said:
Awesome, I got those for my wife's EX last year. Those are great tires. I wanted to get them for my Si two months ago when I lost a tire on the stock AS but they weren't available yet in our size.

I went with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position, which are great btw. If I wear my 960's out I'll check out the new ResponsEdge.
I think you mean a different tire. These tires just came out on 7/1/07. They were so new, it took Discount Tire one week just to track a set down. These tires are unlike anything Goodyear has made before. Goodyear feels that the ultra-high performance A/S market is one that will continue to expand, thus the Eagle F1 A/S.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This, from TireRack's website:
The Eagle F1 All Season featuring Carbon Fiber Technology is Goodyear's Ultra High Performance All Season tire designed to give sports car, sporty coupe and performance sedan drivers piece of mind in virtually any weather condition. It was developed to combine crisp responsiveness and confident handling with year-round traction, including in light snow.

Eagle F1 All Season radials have a directional tread design featuring performance zones that include a continuous center rib with large inboard and outboard shoulder blocks for dry road traction and steering precision, along with dual intermediate all-season zones featuring carved Aquachutes to direct rain, slush and snow away from between the tread and the road to resist hydroplaning and enhance traction. TredLock Technology interlocking micro grooves allow the biting edges needed for acceleration and braking in foul weather to lock together laterally to enhance handling and provide confident maneuvering during dry road cornering. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound DuPont Kevlar on top of a slightly angled, 2-ply polyester cord body featuring carbon fiber reinforced inboard and outboard sidewalls to help keep the shoulders firmly planted on the road for crisp responsiveness and maneuverability.

Eagle F1 All Season radials feature Goodyear’s PermaBlack compound additive that maintains new-tire appearance throughout the life of the tire. Eagle F1 All Season radials feature subtle, smooth letters reversed out of a stylized serrated sidewall band and a protective "rim recess" on their lower sidewalls to help protect the wheels from curb damage.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sgtpruitt said:
How's the road noise on these. Are they noticeably louder?
That's one of the best parts. There isn't any. They are so quiet, you almost forget about them. When you go through a tight turn at a good speed, they don't howl in protest. I am impressed because of how quiet they are how well they ride. However, I bought them because of their predictability and their high ratings in the dry as well as the wet.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
NitrousG35 said:
That's one of the best parts. There isn't any. They are so quiet, you almost forget about them. When you go through a tight turn at a good speed, they don't howl in protest. I am impressed because of how quiet they are how well they ride. However, I bought them because of their predictability and their high ratings in the dry as well as the wet.
Man, these might be the tire for me. That's why I stayed away from pirelli's and yoko's, too loud. Thanks for the input. Repped.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sgtpruitt said:
Man, these might be the tire for me. That's why I stayed away from pirelli's and yoko's, too loud. Thanks for the input. Repped.
If you order on-line, go to TireRack. They were $124 a tire last week, but now they are $134 a tires, still a great deal. If you happen to live in Minnesota, go to Tom at Discount Tire in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. He will match the costs of TireRack if you have them installed there.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Eagle+F1+All+Season

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
enjoy the tires my friend. stop by the shop and bring the g35 so we can see what we can do on that one. also, stop by and give me personal feedback on the tires.

Reactions: NitrousG35
1 - 18 of 18 Posts