8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 Si Sedan (ASM)

So, I was on my way home from work, heading westbound on Eglinton Avenue. As I pass Bathurst Street, some Lincoln Town Car (airport taxi) just cuts me off and I hit him. Luckily, the speeds were only 20-30km/h due to rush hour.

The first thing the guy said when I asked for his information is, "We're not going through insurance".. he tried to give me his name/number and leave, as he said he had passengers to transport to the airport within the next hour, before their plane leaves (I thought to myself, lol, care). So anyway, I got all his info down etc and filed a report, because I'm leaving town tonight (so when I get back, I want to see a bunch of information on what my possibilities are!)

The damage done consists of a bunch of scratches on the right of the bumper, scratches on the right headlamp (amber area), and also a dent in the right fender, along with scratches. Keep in mind, I hit HIS car, as he cut me off, and was diagonal to me.

Now I have a bunch of questions:

Seeing as he does not want to go through insurance, and assuming I wanted to get these parts replaced and NOT TOUCHED UP, how much should I be asking for from him? (How much replacement parts will cost (CAD, not USD) for those three parts?) [answer both please, how much are parts, and how much should I ask from him]
Does anyone else know if it would be possible to convert my 08 Si Sedan front end to either an 09, or even a CSX (using money either provided by him, or insurance)
Will my insurance rate go up if I do end up filing a claim if he is unable to provide the amount (that is recommended by you, 8thcivic!)?

Thanks in advance.

PS: There were no casualties, or injuries :dance:

·
Registered
716 Posts
You should fill out a police report ASAP, especially if you have no witness, regardless of whether he or not is going to pay out of pocket or go through insurance.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
go to the police reporting center right away, that 's the only evidence he cut you off.

·
Registered
716 Posts
... did you guys not read my post?! I went to the collision reporting centre immediately! :(
oh chit, i missed that part. i think the reason why i overlooked that (as well as everyone else) was the witness part. it would suck if it ended up 50/50 and you needing to make a claim with your insurance company if the guy reneged on his agreement.

if he's really not going through insurance, i'd go to to a us honda parts website, print out the diagrams with the part numbers for the bumper, fender and headlight and bring call the honda parts department and find out how much they cost in CAD with GST and PST. then go to honda dealer and get some estimates for repair, because the car is so new. obviously, some honda dealers don't have their own inhouse bodyshop, but at least go to one which is affliated with a honda dealer, since their prices are usually at the higher end of the spectrum. "because your car is new and you want to go to a shop that specializes in honda repair." Give the guy the estimates and get your money. And make sure you get estimates on how long the car will be in the shop so you can get a rental car, so you don't end up taking the ttc.

The 09 bumper will fit, but you'll also need a new grille. you can probably pick up a used headlight in mint condition for a fraction of what it would cost new. if you are willing to drive down to buffalo, you might be able to save yourself a nice chunk of money by buying new bumper and fender there. i think you'll end up paying out of your pocket if you deceided to get a csx conversion. And go to the bodyshop of your choice. it will most likely be a lot less money than a dealer affliated or subcontracted one because the dealer won't be taking a cut. (ever get a quote on window tint at a dealer?)

if you go through his insurance and he is found at fault (which he is), your premiums will not go up if he's at fault, but there will be a record on your car for having an accident.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
No fault insurance.

Regardless of who hit who or who is deemed at-fault by the police and your insurance company, your insurance covers your repairs, not the other person. Besides, a cabby wont give a crap about his busted-up taxi and probably wont make a claim anyway.

Depending on your insurance policy, you might have your premiums go up, but some companys (like mine) also have accident foregiveness.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
If you went to a collision reporting entre, they usually pass the information onto your insurane company unless you ask them not to.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you went to a collision reporting entre, they usually pass the information onto your insurane company unless you ask them not to.
The guy at the collision reporting centre told me it's my obligation to give the report number etc to the insurance company, and it's my decision whether or not to file a claim. :)

So, I'll be heading back to town soon, and I'll see what will come of the situation, if my dad has handled anything yet...

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
were you at an airport when this happened? if so, try talking to management for a surveillance tape (you know they cover every square foot of those airports). He wont have to pay you a dime if you cant prove he was at fault.

get a subpoena for the tape to court and have the judge watch it to prove your case...

AND NEVER TAKE CASH. call the cops dude, you cant trust people like that ( i know this sounds like a pessimistic viewpoint of mankind, but im telling you from experience...)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
were you at an airport when this happened? if so, try talking to management for a surveillance tape (you know they cover every square foot of those airports). He wont have to pay you a dime if you cant prove he was at fault.

get a subpoena for the tape to court and have the judge watch it to prove your case...

AND NEVER TAKE CASH. call the cops dude, you cant trust people like that ( i know this sounds like a pessimistic viewpoint of mankind, but im telling you from experience...)
So, is it me or does the American/Canadian car-accident system work differently or something? I see a lot of people saying that I won't get **** since I don't have any evidence of him hitting me, but all from US users... I'm going to bring it in to several different service departments, and Honda and get a estimation for this ordeal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called the guy and he asked me to take it to a shop in Brampton to get the damage assessed.. Should I just take it to like, 2-3 different Honda dealership/service department to get it assessed?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
be smart please
... I guess I should have written that I already knew his intention when he recommended I take it in to his friends shop.

I should have written that, haha.. my bad.. anyway, the real question is there, should I take it into 2-3 Honda dealership/service departments, or any garage?.. my guess would be Honda! :dance: And if I do take it into Honda, do I need more than 1 quote?.. or is it my choice of dealership..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts