8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm new to the I-VTEC which is similar to a celicas 2zz_ge engine or lift (vvtl-i)

I have some questions sense my car only has 6k mileage and it only had 2 when the people brought it in because they never drove it (weekend car older couples)

1. Does i-vtec hit harder when engine is warmer?
2. Is i-vtec different in the 06 models 07 and so forth?
3. Is 7800 where you get the "full effect"

I just feel like mine doesn't kick has hard as my friends 08 or maybe I'm just over analyzing it too much.

I love having a dual over head cam you can hear it and it sounds like more air gets sucked in too if you keep your radio off.

Sorry if this is repost I'm new to all the honda world :)

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
1. the ecu wont allow vtec to engage when the engine is cold. once warm it hits the same.

2. 06- 09 models have the same exact engine. so they have the same vtec.

3. just shift when the light is solid for maximum seckiness

·
Registered
427 Posts
1. Only switches when the engine is fully warmed
2. i-vtec is the same in all
3. 7800 is peak hp
8400 is peak. dont let the redline fool you seriously. Your not gonna blow your engine up unless you do it all the time.

have fun! and dont be afraid to go to v-tec alot of people are scared because they dont want to bole their engines up. just remember thats why they built this car. to rev high.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
8400 is peak. dont let the redline fool you seriously. Your not gonna blow your engine up unless you do it all the time.

have fun! and dont be afraid to go to v-tec alot of people are scared because they dont want to bole their engines up. just remember thats why they built this car. to rev high.
NO!! Peak HP is @7800RPM

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

I thought it was 8300RPM for TOP

I don't like revving over 7800(peak) cause its pointless.

Thats good to know cause I try to hit VTEC when its cold I just feel my car sucks since I put shitty 8.00 worth of 85 in it two months ago (even though I drove car tell 1 bar and put all 91 in) and no p codes in the ecu were ever stored.

Meh maybe I should drive around for a while and see if it punches

Dooes anyone else have it sound like more air comes in too?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Thanks guys!

I thought it was 8300RPM for TOP

I don't like revving over 7800(peak) cause its pointless.

Thats good to know cause I try to hit VTEC when its cold I just feel my car sucks since I put shitty 8.00 worth of 85 in it two months ago (even though I drove car tell 1 bar and put all 91 in) and no p codes in the ecu were ever stored.

Meh maybe I should drive around for a while and see if it punches

Dooes anyone else have it sound like more air comes in too?
I've had to deal with this kind of misunderstanding several times on this forum. Read below:

As for shifting at peak hp, that isn't the best option for our car.
The graph (which I made) shows force at wheel (lb-force) vs speed (mph). You'd want to shift only when the lines cross. While this happens on some cars, it doesn't on ours. Shift at redline, every time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude Comon I know what vtec sounds like and I know what lift sounds like.

It sounds like a little extra noise Im not that stupid.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
1. vtec doesnt hit at all if engine is cold. engine performs better overall when warm.
2. same.
3. peak torque is around 6200ish, but due to tthe gearing, youd want to go as far as high as you can to get the full effect.

actually, 7700-7800 seems more accurate.
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/6710874/0610_c+2007_honda_civic_si+dyno_chart.jpg

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Dude Comon I know what vtec sounds like and I know what lift sounds like.

It sounds like a little extra noise Im not that stupid.
Additional intake noise is associated with VTEC engaging. You're drawing more air in, ergo more noise from air intake. However, if you think the noise is exceptional, it may actually be an exhaust leak. Although it's unlikely, if the noise gets excessive it would be worth investigating.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you that is better put. I thought with the dual over head cam the engine would need more air in it. As for exhaust leak, I dont hear any loud and unuasl noises.

:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
8000rpm is a good place to shift just so you don't hit the rev limiter.
I've never quite understood why people are so worried about the rev limiter. It's there for a reason. Just because you rev it high enough for the rev limiter to activate, doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. And besides, if 8200 was so bad, Hondata wouldn't make it so you could rev to 8600 with the reflash. Honestly, the K20 can rev to 9000 with the stock head. Its been tested and proved many times. So don't ever worry about reving to redline. :vtec: (Sorry for the rant)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I've never quite understood why people are so worried about the rev limiter. It's there for a reason. Just because you rev it high enough for the rev limiter to activate, doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. And besides, if 8200 was so bad, Hondata wouldn't make it so you could rev to 8600 with the reflash. Honestly, the K20 can rev to 9000 with the stock head. Its been tested and proved many times. So don't ever worry about reving to redline. :vtec: (Sorry for the rant)
My concern isn't with the engine speed itself. Hitting the rev limiter cuts power, engine power, revs drop, power comes back, revs go up, etc. I'm concerned about the added stress from jerking in the drivetrain at the rev limiter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts