8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had rain for the past couple days, I was closing in on a stop sign, so I hit the brakes, (speed limit was 30, so I definately wasn't doing more then that)and they decided not to stop my car (I'm a retard for not changing tires, they were pretty much drag radials) So into a ditch I went.

Didn't think there was much damage except for a few scratches, but the tow truck pulled it out. The rear and front bumper have both been bent up, and the guy said there is frame damage in the front.

Like I said, the damage isn't anything too serious, but since theres frame damage, will they declare it a total loss? :xyxnervou :sadwavy:

·
Banned
3,117 Posts
windforce said:
It is a total loss only if the repair cost is more than what the car is currently worth. From what you described, I do not think it is a total loss. Pictures may help!

If the repair cost exceeds a certain % of the estimated value of the car.
they will total it.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
What year is it? If it slid into a ditch front first the front subframe was probrably bent, maybe by a rock or something. Look at the body panels though and make sure they still line up or that there's no wierd creases where the body has bent, that can be a signal to more damage.

As of your description of the accident so far I don't think it's going to be totalled. Hopefully that's a good thing for you.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Type X said:
If the repair cost exceeds a certain % of the estimated value of the car.
they will total it.

Each state is a little diff, most is 70% of ACV (Actual Cash Value)

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
07mugencivic said:
sucks to hear that ...as long as your ok
Ya I'm fine thanks :wavey:

By looking at the damage it doesn't look like a total at all, its just that I thought I remembered the "If frame is bent, its a total" rule.

I'll keep you guys updated

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
^That rule has gone out with unibody frams.. Now most cars have sectional frams of sorts so that if you do get damage in one section it can be replaced without it instantly being totalled. This is what happened with my em2, the frame was bent but they sectioned it off and replaced it..

·
Registered
953 Posts
firmhonda said:
^That rule has gone out with unibody frams.. Now most cars have sectional frams of sorts so that if you do get damage in one section it can be replaced without it instantly being totalled. This is what happened with my em2, the frame was bent but they sectioned it off and replaced it..

yup.. same with my friends 01 celica. Half the car's frame was replaced.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the frame was bent. ~$5000 in damage. Only $500 out of my pocket. My insurance company, and the shop have 1 big building together, so I'm sure they overcharged to make extra money.

Oh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts