8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to sears to get my wheels aligned because it was pulling and I just got new tires. It was snowing really bad. 1st=I slammed on the brakes and the brakes made a real bad grinding sound in the front. I thought **** that's not good. :redface: So, I tried to make it do it again and it did. I took it back to sears right away and they said it was just my abs keeping the car straight. What do you think? has anyone else done this? Also they said that my camber was off on one of the front sides. They thought I hit something, but I never have. 2nd=They showed me the print out of what they did and the side with the camber off they corrected it just enough to bring in in the OK range. I know I didn't hit anything. 3rd=Could this be a factory problem, because I have noticed that when I back out of my driveway sometimes the front driver suspensoion makes a kind of boing sound doesn't sound right. Any ideas on that too? Wondering if it's just me.:xyxnervou

·
Registered
479 Posts
i cant believe how many of our members have never experienced ABS activating. also would help to say what kind and how many miles on the car?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I believe they are right that the "grinding" noise while stopping is your ABS. It is normal.

How many miles on your car? It is normal for a car to get out of alignment over time. Potholes and other road hazards can knock a car out of alignment if big enough, but even everyday bumps pounding on the suspension will eventually take their toll. This may or may not be your problem, but if the car isn't pulling anymore I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as the "boing" noise in the morning there have been several threads on here about it. You aren't alone. I have seen several solutions offered ranging from a bad strut, bad bump stop, and a bad strut bearing plate. For the most part I don't think it is a big problem but many have gotten it fixed at the dealer, so you could try taking it to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you hear the grinding noise on a dry day, then you may have a problem. Between the ABS activating and the snow on your rotors, you should be hearing all kinds of noises right now.

It seems almost every 8th gen makes a knocking sound from the suspension on first start. For me, the hassle of getting the dealer to fix it is worse than the problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
07 si with less than 9k on it. thanks everyone. No, I drove the car all last winter and I guess my abs neveer had to kick in like that. The only question I still am not sure about is when they did the alignment the just got it in to the specs that was acceptable. The other four wheels they realigned them into the middle of the allowed specs. So if they couldn't with the other wheel could that mean there might be a bend or some other problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts