8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a used 2007 Civic EX from the original owners recently. The car runs/drives great. I know these cars have a long history of motor mount issues, particularly the passenger side. Mine looks fine, no visible leaking, plenty of gap.

The symptoms are, when it'd in D and I'm stopped it vibrates the car, badly at times. Only in drive though. If I put it in neutral or park is completely smooths out. If I'm in drive and stopped if I turn the AC on it also goes away. The car idles at 550/600 very consistently. When I turn the AC on the idle ticks up a hair but definitely clears the problem.

Reason I started a new thread is I never see anyone mention the change in behavior with the AC engaged. I've watched countless videos on changing that mount and will tackle it if need be but I'd like to make sure I'm not chasing bigfoot on this.

·
Registered
521 Posts
When running AC, it will always vibrate because of the motor just being weak (140 HP). Does it clunk when slapping the gas pedal? Mine did that and went away when the mount was replaced. This was my video of the bad engine mount in the first clip:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When running AC, it will always vibrate because of the motor just being weak (140 HP). Does it clunk when slapping the gas pedal? Mine did that and went away when the mount was replaced. This was my video of the bad engine mount in the first clip:
I'm saying mine vibrates the car at a stop and in gear but turning the AC on stops the vibration.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you want to replace the passenger mount, I suggest OEM but at the time when I had the issue, I didn't want to spend $200+ on one mount so I went with aftermarkets - they have been great:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm saying mine vibrates the car at a stop and in gear but turning the AC on stops the vibration.
Some 8th gens suffer the issue even after all of the mounts have been replaced. It soothes out because of the higher RPM's. Thats when the AC is on......

That does sound strange though that yours is vibrating when the AC is off. I would inspect the mount regardless.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You don't have a check engine light on right? When was the last time you got a valve adjustment on the car? I don't think that would cause a severe vibration on park though. If possible, I would check the other 2 mounts on the car (transmission and lower torque mount). This is all I know - I hope someone else can chime in for this issue as what i've dealt with myself happens the complete opposite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't have a check engine light on right? When was the last time you got a valve adjustment on the car? I don't think that would cause a severe vibration on park though. If possible, I would check the other 2 mounts on the car (transmission and lower torque mount). This is all I know - I hope someone else can chime in for this issue as what i've dealt with myself happens the complete opposite.
No lights. As mentioned, while in park it's perfectly smooth, it's not until I put it in gear and am stopped that it vibrates pretty badly. Even then if I just flick on the AC it's back to being smooth. I wonder if my idle is too low. Warmed up it sits at about 550-600 RPM, no dips or drops whatsoever though.

·
Registered
521 Posts
On the 2000 4Runner that I have in the family, It would rattle and vibrate on park and drive but not when driving it nor in neutral - it has a bad catalytic convertor right now.

You could give the MAF sensor a cleaning and see if the idle raises. I cleaned mine 3 days ago and it costs $10 for a can of MAF sensor cleaner at Autozone.

600 RPM's is normal i'm sure (I don't pay attention to the speedometer) but lower than that can definitely make the car vibrate bad - it has the feeling of shutting down. Replacing the PCV Valve ($20) could help the idle as well which in my case it did back then on my Civic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want to replace the passenger mount, I suggest OEM but at the time when I had the issue, I didn't want to spend $200+ on one mount so I went with aftermarkets - they have been great:
View attachment 244290
There you go. The reason everyone says Honda has weak motor mounts is because Hinda owners are cheapskate. Tbey go to Lucky Leon's service dept with 150,000 miles on their car and Ole Lucky Leon puts 6th class mounts on it that cost $23. 00. Total repair $195.00. Now OEM mounts you will spend $250 -$400. But I ask you Lucky Leon's lasted 60,000 miles...Honda's lasted upwards as twice as long if not 3 times. Who has the problem here...the Cheapskate Honda owner And Lucky Leon

·
Registered
521 Posts
There you go. The reason everyone says Honda has weak motor mounts is because Hinda owners are cheapskate. Tbey go to Lucky Leon's service dept with 150,000 miles on their car and Ole Lucky Leon puts 6th class mounts on it that cost $23. 00. Total repair $195.00. Now OEM mounts you will spend $250 -$400. But I ask you Lucky Leon's lasted 60,000 miles...Honda's lasted upwards as twice as long if not 3 times. Who has the problem here...the Cheapskate Honda owner And Lucky Leon
I'm not a cheapskate.... I wanted to replace all 4 mounts because my engine was severely hopping and I checked the reviews to be all 5 star reviews. I didn't want to blow $700+ to replace all mounts because I wasn't sure if I was gonna keep the car at the time. I always use Genuine Honda Parts on everything but I had to go aftermarket on the mounts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not a cheapskate.... I wanted to replace all 4 mounts because my engine was severely hopping and I checked the reviews to be all 5 star reviews. I didn't want to blow $700+ to replace all mounts because I wasn't sure if I was gonna keep the car at the time. I always use Genuine Honda Parts on everything but I had to go aftermarket on the mounts.
So if you didn't want to spend $700 and fix you're vehicle correctly..at a Honda dealer who sells OEM parts...then you're taking the cheapskate way out with inferior parts and complain like a cheapskate and blame Honda when they last 60,000 miles. That not only makes you stupid it makes you a CHEAPSKATE. Go spend the $700 and get it fixed with quailty parts not your wallett..cheapskate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts