8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a couple of very light seasons since my serious STF Focus efforts, I'm finally getting back into the national autocross scene. A few days ago, I purchased this 2007 Civic Si coupe. It's a bit of a scramble to get it sorted out quickly, as the 2017 SCCA Solo Nationals in Lincoln, Nebraska is less than 2 weeks away. Not entirely sure about long term plans yet, but I'm excited about this engine and chassis.

07csi by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far, I've purchased:

- 17x7 Enkei RPF1 +45 wheels (lightest HS-legal wheels I could find at 14.6 lbs)
- Honda factory camber adjustment bolts
- Custom valved dampers
- Custom rear swaybar

Probably won't have time to do anything with the exhaust, and still not 100% sure which tires I'll be running. If I hurry, I may be able to do a little shakedown at the Gridlife autocross at Road Atlanta this weekend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At some point I'd recommend doing I/H/E with a flashpro tune. Only reason I say isn't just for the added power but especially for the track the 4500rpm vtech engagement really helps a lot. You can stay in vtech pretty much the whole time and with good tires and suspension you're gonna kill it! Love auto cross builds

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love the car, I just bought a 2007 SI sedan and am working to get it in shape for autocross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The car is really growing on me quickly. I have more parts arriving this week. Still a lot to do before heading out Friday night for the SCCA Solo Nationals in Lincoln.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to get a few autox runs in the car this weekend at Gridlife South (Road Atlanta.) Car had decent tires, but still on stock shocks, struts, and swaybars. I was really happy with it's performance. I have a couple videos I can share, once I'm allowed to post links.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great! I just purchased a stock 06 Coupe for toying with, and for possibly going to HS. I'm hoping I get to see the class run in Lincoln next week, as I'll be running on the other course 1st heat and back to your side to help my kids with their karts in Heat 4. I'd like to be able to walk through grid and take a peek at the 8th Gen cars if I have time.

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Eager to hear your thoughts on how the car was and what you feel it needs going forward. I didn't have time to wander through HS grid, but I did see a decent number of 8th Gen cars over there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2017 Nationals

About a week before Nationals I started ordering parts, and the last few items arrived Friday night. So I loaded them in the car and hit the road early Saturday morning. After driving 1000 miles straight from Atlanta to Lincoln, I arrived on site Saturday evening (9/2) and my co-driver (Preston) arrived Sunday morning. I had picked up a set of used Koni's off of Craigslist, and since I didn't know the condition - I brought them to the Koni truck to get them checked out. Lee from Koni suggested we dyno the front to ensure proper function, and re-valve the rears with a valving he'd used on another HS Civic. Within a few hours, Lee had everything ready to go. Preston and I dug into the suspension and swapped in the Koni's. Then we replaced the rear bar with a 24mm Progress bar, (that arrived Friday afternoon.) We just set it to full stiff. Next came the alignment. We had the Honda factory crash bolts, so we pulled and tugged to get as much camber as possible in front. It came out around -0.8 which wasn't great, but better than nothing. The rear camber was around -2.2 due to having the original factory upper arms. (In hindsight, the "C" arms may have been a better option.) We added a little toe out up front and a lot of toe out in back. We brought the car to the test course with the front Koni's set somewhere in the middle and the rears at full stiff. On Monday, Preston did his test runs first and felt like the car was working pretty well. During my runs, we experimented with the front - trying full soft and full stiff. We couldn't feel much difference, and times came in about the same. So we agreed to leave the front right in the middle. Here is one of Preston's runs on the Test Course:

(low quality cell phone vid. Sorry.)

Tuesday, we ran East course first. This course was better for the Civic, as it was able to take advantage of the LSD and the 197hp. Lots of VTEC and lots of rev limiter. Preston had the fastest raw time that would've had him in first, but a late cone call came in and spoiled the fun. I was a little off his pace, but after seeing videos from our runs - it's clear he was driving a bit more aggressively than me.

Preston on East Course:
Justin on East Course:
Justin on West Course:

After all was said and done, Preston ended up in 4th place. He had the fastest runs in a Civic on both courses, suggesting that our last minute build and setup wasn't completely off. I ended up in 17th, (out of 38 in HS,) which I wasn't thrilled about, knowing that I've been a bit closer to Preston's times in the past. We both agreed that we needed more seat time, as neither of us had autocrossed much in the past two years.

I would really like to experiment with some different setup's. I would like to try a Big Front bar to see if it can be made faster. Perhaps a staggered tire setup as well, (245f/225r) and maybe those "C" upper rear arms, to see if reducing the amount of negative camber helps rotation. In any case, I think the Civic Si is a real contender in HS. The cars that finished ahead of us have been much more popular in HS, and have seen a lot more development. Not to mention they were driven by previous national champions. After watching videos of the Civic and videos of the Mini, it's obvious that the Mini takes sweepers faster. However, the Civic out accelerates the Mini. So the next step will be making the Civic faster through sweepers.

I'll try to post more pics as they come available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost forgot - I weighed the car at Nationals, and it came in at 2,758 lbs in HS trim.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just over two months of ownership now, and really enjoying this car. Hoping to pick up a FlashPro soon so I can switch between a "fun" tune for the street/track, and a stock (HS legal) autox tune.

Results from a couple of recent local events:

Pax'd 6th of 67
AXA9 by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

Pax'd 5th of 96
ARSCCA9 by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to the local drag strip the other day. It was busy, so I only got a few passes. It was pretty much what I expected with stock power. This was my best:

(Right Lane #619)
civicquarter by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

·
Registered
60 Posts
nice, that's a respectable time for a stock car. great work at nats too.

i didn't realize you're in the Atlanta region. i'm out of Augusta. i'll keep an eye out for your car if i ever make it out to any events over there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice thread man, I always enjoy reading ones like these.

I'm also in Atlanta, and have ran with AutoXAtlanta in my BRZ. I was just out there for fun, learning. I wonder if I've ever seen you out there! I believe they will no longer be hosting events though, which sucks. I'm thinking about joining the Atlanta PCA and running with them. Will you just be running with the SCCA this year?

A lady T-boned me in my BRZ last week, and it's been totaled, unfortunately. I am now looking into hopping in a 8G Si.

Hope to see more updates in the future!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Time for some updates!

I've been torn about which direction I want to take this car. I think it would be a lot of fun to do full bolt-ons, tune, etc. However, that would put the car in STX. I'm just not ready to go all in with STX. The car should still be pretty competitive in HS, as there haven't been any new additions to to the class to really shake things up for 2018. So I'm going to continue down the HS path with more improvements, testing, and tuning.

First big upgrade for 2018 is a new, custom 3" catback exhaust. My goal is to improve flow and reduce weight. As you can see in the SCCA Street class rules below, the exhaust from the catalytic converter back to the original exit location is pretty much open. I ordered some 18-gauge 3" diameter tubing, an ultra-lightweight CoastFab muffler, and a few v-band clamps for easy layout changes. Target weight for the complete HS catback system is 14 pounds.

ExhaustRule by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

coastmuffler by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

28424192_10159980593735291_3694620449075355374_o by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

Here are 3 different exhaust layouts I can run for different events. V1 will be the HS "race" setup. V2 will be the quiet "street" setup with a muffler at the exit. V3 will be a short, "turndown" system for less weight and better flow at track events, which would also work well if I ever take the car to STX.

ExhaustVersions by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't gotten to the exhaust project yet, but went ahead and registered at the last minute for a local Atlanta Region event. It was fairly wet and cold, so I decided to leave the Conti's on with the stock wheels. Had a pretty solid showing, coming in 4th overall in PAX out of 95 drivers. My new Maxxis VR-1's are about a month out. I'm really looking forward to getting them on the car to see what they can do. A few other minor changes, and my car will be fully-prepped for the 2018 season.

29101961_10160038374160291_8142321338158153728_o by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

ATLPTS2 by Justin Tilus, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 32 Posts