8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking over at clubrsx and there's a few guys with the JRSC kit who have done the custom aftercooler install. They also picked up some significant gains since the boost levels between the rsx's and ours are around 9-11psi.Here's one guy's aftercooler project. I was wondering since the JR kit is from the rsx anyways, has anyone here considered taking on this project? It's peaked my interest and I want to look into maybe doing this shortly down the road if it would in fact work for us.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You can't order that core from bell unless Thomas...the designer of the core approves. Thomas is awesome and there shouldn't be a problem with his approval to get one made.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
This unit sits in the manifold...Water to air core, water is pumped into it from a from mount heat exchanger.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you know who it is on here? i'm really lookin into gettin this done with my setup. i'm gonna try to start emalin the rsx guys and my local shop to start workin out logistics.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Its fairly simple to do...Pump, heat exchanger, fittings, lines, expansion tank, core, new plate. Apparently they are seeing 130degree temps down from 250 degrees.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Kind of off topic. Also might be a stupid question... Would installing an intercooler (in this case it's not inter anymore) before the supercharger (ct-e) have any significant gains? Also, would running that with a short ram yield better results than the ram air setup with the stock airbox, k&n drop in, and scoop to front bumper?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Yeah too bad a cooler was never made for the comptech charger..:p

yes yes. i know all about that one. but theres only 2 prototypes and those are on rsx's at the moment and aren't they not as efficient as the jackson manifold due to space limitations so comptech ditched the idea since it didn't cool to well?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes

Yes, AtomicLX, has done this to my car. I would like to thank Highrev for sending me the link to the thread on another forum, and AtomicLx for a great install. And Thomas Martin for being an innovator. I also changed out the pulley and went from 3.2 to 3.0(pulley boys). I gained 20whp and 12 lbs/ft torque, with no downside, other than to much power, poor me.

I still have my CAT in place but when I get my test pipe installed I'll redyno it and let you know how it went, I should be in the 290's whp. and 195lb/ft torque.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you were able to drop down your pulley size and hook up the aftercooler without any tuning issues? Also did you have to get a new belt for the smaller pulley? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really getting anxious to do this lol.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Kind of off topic. Also might be a stupid question... Would installing an intercooler (in this case it's not inter anymore) before the supercharger (ct-e) have any significant gains? Also, would running that with a short ram yield better results than the ram air setup with the stock airbox, k&n drop in, and scoop to front bumper?
No. The inter/after-cooler can't cool the air charge to a temperature below ambient temperature. You would just have ambient temperature air running through a heat exchanger being cooled by ambient temperature air (no heat transfer).

The point of inter/after-cooling is that during compression, the temperature of a gas (in this case air) goes up. Ideal gas law is PV=nRT, which means P is linearly proportional to T. So as pressure goes up, temperature goes up. After compression, you can run the compressed air through a heat exchanger, at which point ambient air would be cooler than the compressed air and would effectively decrease the temperature of the compressed air.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You are right about the V being volume. But this a continuous system.
HAHA...couldn't edit fast enough! I was thinking of the air mass moving through the system. Totally wrong! You are correct...V is constant. I went to sleep at 4am and sitting through a class taught by a professor with the most monotonous voice in the world is torture! Didn't mean to argue AND be wrong :word: <--that's me right now. Any info on the other question?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well short ram is taking in engine temp air and radiator would be cooling it back down to ambient. Is this more effective than ram air with stock airbox?
You would have a pressure drop across that radiator that would offset any power gained by having cooler air. Rather, it would be significantly easier and better to just route cool air up to the intake filter.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts