8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Jerky when costing in 1-2 gear

14K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  trey3dude 
#1 ·
idk if this have been posted before but when i am costing in first of second gear in my si and touch the gas to go its very jerky....not smooth, is there something wrong with my DBW?? thanks in advance

#2 ·
all the SI is costing me when in in first and second gear is gas and oil!

but seriously yes ive noticed that too but it has to do with the fact that when your cruising with no gas, the throttle cuts out to save gas. in first and second gear your gears are so low that you feel the jerk when you the the throttle opens back up again (pushing the gas petal)

#18 ·
Agreed. Our cars have no torque stock, therefore Honda made the gearbox to suffice for that, making first and 2nd "touchy"....

I honestly rarely use first. A lot of the time I start off in second, because of how short first is and I hate having to shift so quick. Works fine.....

As far as the cold DBW system, crap drives me INSANE. I stare at the temp gauge thinking "come on 3 bars" lol

#13 ·
Personally, stop and go traffic is kind of annoying in 1st gear sometimes. When traffic is moving 5 miles an hour or so, trying to go in 1st can be a bit jerky. If you try to let off the gas to slow down (like you would in higher gears) it jerks really hard. Then if you accelerate too much it is jerky again.

It's just something you learn to handle. I'm not sure what the cause of it is.

#35 ·
Think it depends on the individual car. My old 02 Civic LX had a really bad jerk in 1st gear. The Si isn't half as bad, and I can easily cruise in second gear. The car runs even smoother with Flashpro now.

Is your car bone stock or do you have an intake? Fuel mapping that doesn't match your mods could be the culprit.

#36 ·
i drive a lot..rush hour traffic every day in chicago.

i think one part of the problem is the DBW.. i don't always feel it's consistent.. like there is a lag sometimes, and other times there isn't..so if you have to light get on the gas and than get off..it almost "jumps" sometimes...and it's what makes you feel like it's so touchy.

Other times, the car will just start bucking for no reason.. i'll be going very slow, 5mph with light throttle and it will just start bucking and only way out of it is to put it back into N and shift it into 1st.

#40 ·
Regarding taking off in 2nd, give it the normal amount of gas, start letting out the clutch, let off the gas, dump the clutch, gently press the gas. I've been doing this at times, not regularly though, for over 20 years in all sorts of cars and trucks. This method will not burn any more of the clutch then normal driving. You have to be really good with a manual though. My dad can't even do it well in my Si and he used to race cars. Of course being 68 years old could be part of it. :)

#44 ·
Major, major thread resurrection here. Now that our high temps are in the 20s, I'm noticing the jerkiness when cold a lot more. Does FlashPro and a tune work some of this out? Seems like a fueling issue to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.