8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
then some impatient @$$H0L3 cuts in front of ya and screws everything up. then his original lanes ends up moving faster than yours.
yup haha its that way here int St Louis too. you leave enough space for a car, someone is dying to get 1 car in front of you. then youre back to square 1 and have to slow down again. no way to avoid it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Agreed. Our cars have no torque stock, therefore Honda made the gearbox to suffice for that, making first and 2nd "touchy"....

I honestly rarely use first. A lot of the time I start off in second, because of how short first is and I hate having to shift so quick. Works fine.....

As far as the cold DBW system, crap drives me INSANE. I stare at the temp gauge thinking "come on 3 bars" lol
Unfortunately, you're prolonging the work that your clutch has to do if you shift like this.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Unfortunately, you're prolonging the work that your clutch has to do if you shift like this.
Actually wouldnt he be shortening it? if you are speaking in terms of clutch wear 1st gear does more revolutions than 2nd gear at any given speed doesnt it?

Edit:
now thinking about it it dont think it really matters if you practice proper clutch control. cuz the clutch sees the same transmission speed regardless of gear

·
Watchu talkin bout willis
6,541 Posts
I had an 02 EX I did it in all the time. my mom drives it now and still has the original clutch with 120k....

If you have done it before our car will start in second just as good as first, you don't even have to ride the clutch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
All it really does is make us look like idiots with the car jerking around. My wife was complaining about it last week. She said it seems like I forgot how to drive my car properly.
More like makes you look like an idiot... If you want to drive smoothly you need to be more smooth and not just mash the throttle, or let off it suddenly... I find the civic to be a very smooth car once it's warmed up. It takes just a few minutes for mine to warm up...

·
Registered
664 Posts
More like makes you look like an idiot... If you want to drive smoothly you need to be more smooth and not just mash the throttle, or let off it suddenly... I find the civic to be a very smooth car once it's warmed up. It takes just a few minutes for mine to warm up...
Oh the lord of great driving has spoken. Thanks for telling me what I've known for about 20 years of driving. I didn't directly call you an idoit. Get it? Nothing personal? Gees!:facepalm:

·
Registered
358 Posts
All manual transmission cars do this. It's because torque multiplication in first and second gear is huge. Just be smooth with the throttle.
If anything, the Si is the smoothest car I've driven in 1st and 2nd (with an RX8 being absolutely the worst).

·
Registered
53 Posts
idk if this have been posted before but when i am costing in first of second gear in my si and touch the gas to go its very jerky....not smooth, is there something wrong with my DBW?? thanks in advance
The car will jerk only when your engine is cold, is a known problem to Si owners.
Of it does it with a warmed engine, check your DBW programming.

·
Registered
851 Posts
idk if this have been posted before but when i am costing in first of second gear in my si and touch the gas to go its very jerky....not smooth, is there something wrong with my DBW?? thanks in advance
there is a thread on here- I <3 driving slow.

they may have tips on coasting

sounds like you need to use the pedal on the left more

keep those revs up-should run smoothly

·
Registered
357 Posts
Would getting better motor mounts help the jerking problem?
Unfortunately they don't help for this...I have Boomba Torque mounts and I still get the stupid "touchy" feel in 1st and 2nd gear...As other have said, the best advice is to let the car warm up because this seems to help a little:cornmad:

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Think it depends on the individual car. My old 02 Civic LX had a really bad jerk in 1st gear. The Si isn't half as bad, and I can easily cruise in second gear. The car runs even smoother with Flashpro now.

Is your car bone stock or do you have an intake? Fuel mapping that doesn't match your mods could be the culprit.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i drive a lot..rush hour traffic every day in chicago.

i think one part of the problem is the DBW.. i don't always feel it's consistent.. like there is a lag sometimes, and other times there isn't..so if you have to light get on the gas and than get off..it almost "jumps" sometimes...and it's what makes you feel like it's so touchy.

Other times, the car will just start bucking for no reason.. i'll be going very slow, 5mph with light throttle and it will just start bucking and only way out of it is to put it back into N and shift it into 1st.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think it's the DBW, I just think it's due to thte throttle turning off when your rolling and turn back on when you press the gas. IMO

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Actually wouldnt he be shortening it? if you are speaking in terms of clutch wear 1st gear does more revolutions than 2nd gear at any given speed doesnt it?

Edit:
now thinking about it it dont think it really matters if you practice proper clutch control. cuz the clutch sees the same transmission speed regardless of gear
I had an 02 EX I did it in all the time. my mom drives it now and still has the original clutch with 120k....

If you have done it before our car will start in second just as good as first, you don't even have to ride the clutch.
Each gear (in order from 1-6) requires a greater engine revolution than the one before it for a smooth and short shift. Whether you've noticed it or not, you MUST be supplying higher revs than normal (than if you were in 1st) to take off in 2nd - It physically requires it (or else you need to burn for longer). So, even though you may be applying the clutch for the same amount of time, you've created more (wear) because of the slightly higher engine rev.

In the case of your EX, that's cool that it has lasted that long. I never said you were going to wear-OUT the clutch. I can't speculate on the actual condition of the car. But I can say that if you indeed took off EVERY TIME in 2nd gear, it's a miracle that it has lasted this long (especially with a 1.8L (no torque, which means even higher rev to take off in 2nd)).

Anyone who drives this way should be warned that it places unnecessary strain on the entire drive-train including the engine. ---For an exaggerated example as to how this could be, try taking off in 6th.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Regarding taking off in 2nd, give it the normal amount of gas, start letting out the clutch, let off the gas, dump the clutch, gently press the gas. I've been doing this at times, not regularly though, for over 20 years in all sorts of cars and trucks. This method will not burn any more of the clutch then normal driving. You have to be really good with a manual though. My dad can't even do it well in my Si and he used to race cars. Of course being 68 years old could be part of it. :)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts