8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
idk if this have been posted before but when i am costing in first of second gear in my si and touch the gas to go its very jerky....not smooth, is there something wrong with my DBW?? thanks in advance

·
Registered
269 Posts
all the SI is costing me when in in first and second gear is gas and oil!

but seriously yes ive noticed that too but it has to do with the fact that when your cruising with no gas, the throttle cuts out to save gas. in first and second gear your gears are so low that you feel the jerk when you the the throttle opens back up again (pushing the gas petal)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be like that, or at least I have the same problem. Eventually you get more or less used to it and it isn't a problem anymore.

·
Registered
76 Posts
are you talking about a hesitation problem when the engine is cold and first and second gear is jerking?? This is the DBW system.. you have to wait until the engine is warmed up. I know,kinda sucks, but all si owners know about this and have to live with it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be like that, or at least I have the same problem. Eventually you get more or less used to it and it isn't a problem anymore.
yup thats it.

i have an 08 odyssey and it cut down to 4 cylinders when cruising. at low speed when it bumps back to 6 it makes quite a shudder. another thing honda fail at. but atleast they admitted to this one.

sad to say it normal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yup thats it.

i have an 08 odyssey and it cut down to 4 cylinders when cruising. at low speed when it bumps back to 6 it makes quite a shudder. another thing honda fail at. but atleast they admitted to this one.

sad to say it normal.
your still here? i thought you got rid of your si.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys..i just thought it was just my car lol but since its normal ill just have to live with it

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
1st and 2nd are short gears and are not meant for coasting. It is normal for them to be "touchy" on the gas.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
your still here? i thought you got rid of your si.
for now.. threw some amsoil syncromesh in there and it smoothed out ALOT! still a lil notchy. doing the EM1 CMC next week. if that doesnt work then i will be out for sure.

but this isnt about me right now.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Personally, stop and go traffic is kind of annoying in 1st gear sometimes. When traffic is moving 5 miles an hour or so, trying to go in 1st can be a bit jerky. If you try to let off the gas to slow down (like you would in higher gears) it jerks really hard. Then if you accelerate too much it is jerky again.

It's just something you learn to handle. I'm not sure what the cause of it is.

·
Watchu talkin bout willis
6,541 Posts
1st and 2nd are short gears and are not meant for coasting. It is normal for them to be "touchy" on the gas.
Agreed. Our cars have no torque stock, therefore Honda made the gearbox to suffice for that, making first and 2nd "touchy"....

I honestly rarely use first. A lot of the time I start off in second, because of how short first is and I hate having to shift so quick. Works fine.....

As far as the cold DBW system, crap drives me INSANE. I stare at the temp gauge thinking "come on 3 bars" lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Personally, stop and go traffic is kind of annoying in 1st gear sometimes. When traffic is moving 5 miles an hour or so, trying to go in 1st can be a bit jerky. If you try to let off the gas to slow down (like you would in higher gears) it jerks really hard. Then if you accelerate too much it is jerky again.

It's just something you learn to handle. I'm not sure what the cause of it is.
yup agree very annoying in traffic :deadhorse:

·
Registered
664 Posts
All it really does is make us look like idiots with the car jerking around. My wife was complaining about it last week. She said it seems like I forgot how to drive my car properly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts