8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2007 honda civic automatic during the summer and im starting to notice how jerky the shifting is, especially at low speeds. Sometimes it even lurches forward from a dead stop. With my mom's volvo I never even feel it shift but with mine it feels like someone is lightly tapping the brakes when it shifts. Is this normal with everyone elses?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are talking about the automatic, then yes it is. Especially when you down shift to come to a stop. In higher gears the shifts are pretty smooth. You will become accustomed to it.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Volvo = expensive luxury car
Honda = Honda

Nothing wrong with your tranny.
While I agree with your statement about the transmission, it's still annoying. Just because Honda's cars are on the "cheaper" side (if you could even say that, no car is cheap), their reputation was built on being solid, well executed cars, and things like this make people question that.

Just my .02

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I never said cheaper. Honda = Honda. Rock solid and built to last. Not soo much designed for ultra smooth shifting.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
See, I've always heard that Honda has some of the best, smoothest shifting transmissions of any car company, especially when compared to others in the same class.

I actually am inclined to agree. Despite a few issues with the Si transmission, the only more pleasurable stick shift I've driven was an RX-8.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
honda's auto transmissions are always harsh

thats y my next car will probably not be a honda (harsh shifting + road noise + nonabsorbent suspension = rough ride)

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
most 4cyl trans are a harsh compared to higher torque engines. I get to rent alot of ecoboxes with my job. Honda is above average for 4banger autotrans.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
My mom's Mazda 3 is the same way. I have a manual in my Civic, and the auto tranny in her 3 is the biggest reason I like my car better (there are others, but the tranny is the biggest).

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
yea i agree about Honda's auto tranny's. They seem to always be a bit on the rough side when it comes to shifting, plus they have weird issues later on.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just save yourself $650-$1500 by driving a stick. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Volvo = expensive luxury car
Honda = Honda

Nothing wrong with your tranny.
expensive luxary car? what the... volvos are junk! as far as comparing a european car with a japo, u'll always find a little more comfort in most euro cars, but japo cars are still great cars. avg life span for a japo - 10 years plus, avg life span of a euro - 4 years maximum unless kept in storage :p

anyways never drove an new auto civic, was thinking about buying one but decided with stick instead. :coffee:

·
Registered
165 Posts
expensive luxary car? what the... volvos are junk! as far as comparing a european car with a japo, u'll always find a little more comfort in most euro cars, but japo cars are still great cars. avg life span for a japo - 10 years plus, avg life span of a euro - 4 years maximum unless kept in storage :p :coffee:
:yeahthat:

Volvo is a Ford. I'll take my auto Civic and its awesome tranny over some pos Ford car anyday. Bottom line is that its a Honda. I dont care about anything but that H emblem, as long as it has that I know its good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a loaner while my car was at the dealer getting some work done. I wasn't a big fan of the automatic tranny on the Civic. It wasn't bad or anything, it just felt average, a bit jerky but not a whole lot different from other 4 bangers autos I've driven.

Its to be expected but it felt alot more sluggish than my Civic with the manual tranny, felt like a completely different car.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I think many people on this thread have never even driven more than a handfull of cars are are just talking out of there ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts