8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got my CAI in a week or two ago and had it installed..right now this is the only mod that i have installed on the car (i have a **** load of stuff in the mail on its way to me.. im trying to go from nothing to everything at once lol) Anyway i notice when the car sits for extended periods of time like overnight whenever i start it the next morning and go to take off it goes good until around 3k rpms and above then it gets extremely jerky in first and second gear and the tach lurches forward and back down.

Why is this? Is there a fix?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea its annoying, and embarassing lol It didnt do it stock only thing it did stock was the tach would stay at around 2k rpms until it got warmed up :\

·
Registered
701 Posts
^^
i thought that was normal so the car warms up faster. the jerking thing is pissin me off tho. i did notice that my 07 mazda3 did the samething. wen i started it up and immediately took off, i would get that jerkiness. then i stopped. let it sit for a moment. then it went away.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm not 100% on this, but I think all of the new Si's do that until they're warmed up close to operating temperature. Once the temperature outside starts to cool, mine did it every morning while it was stock, and still does it now that its getting to be that time of year again, modded.

Just one of the quirks of the 6th gen Si.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
^^ doesn't happen to me, cold or hot.

It was 36 degrees outside on my drive to work with my X intake, ran perfectly, no jerks, shudders or hesitations.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Its happened to me the entire time i've had the car, only when its cold over night...I'm sure there has been a thread about this subject too.

Anyway, I've gotten used to it and learned to know how the car wants to act when its cold, so it doesn't really happen too often any more. I just keep the RPMs down below 3K until I get a couple of bars on the temp guage then its all good.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Thats weird, never happened to me, stock or with my new intake...

Maybe I don't notice it because I've owned DSMs...but I do have a good feel for strange feels/noises.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yeah, I don't know how else to describe it other than it bucks when the engine AND air temp is cold. Only seems to happen for the first 5 or so minutes after start up (when its cold outside) and when the RPMs reach >3K.

Basically, just have to let the car warm up enough so that its happy.

Some previous threads I found quickly:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26434&highlight=bucking
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25007&highlight=bucking
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4754&highlight=bucking

·
Registered
48 Posts
Happens to me all the time and I'm in Florida (not really cold...ever). No mods and only hppens after the cars been sitting for a while.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
it happens to all of out cars when its not fully warmed up. mine is stock and until i get about 4-5 bars on the temp gauge it does it...its normal, your supposed to allow your car to warm up before taking off anyway so that all parts are properly lubricated anyway.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So to OP, it seems like its possibly a DBW flaw or something...as far as I know, it just happens, no fix...let your car warm up before you go, its better for the engine anyway.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The only conflict I have with chalking it up to a quirk: is that obviously this is worse than stock, or he wouldn't be saying anything about it.

People have problems with hesitations and shudders all the time with after market intakes, the vanes are in the factory air box for a reason.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
True, the CAI might make it worse than when the car is stock, but it still happened to me and a lot of the other people who posted in the threads that I linked while the car was stock. CAI very well could exaggerate this problem due to turbulence because of the lack of MAF vanes.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
im stock right now and it does it to me too...only when the cars cold though. Even the major car magazines have mentioned it on their stock si's (the extended test drive articles).

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
ImAuthenticFTW said:
it happens to all of out cars when its not fully warmed up. mine is stock and until i get about 4-5 bars on the temp gauge it does it...its normal, your supposed to allow your car to warm up before taking off anyway so that all parts are properly lubricated anyway.
:yeahthat:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts