8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:lildevil:

USDM... Containing straight line performance, loud, gas gussling, modern aged track machines, big, usually heavy, cheapest for raw power, weakest reliability.
Correction on the first line of the first post. The '06 Cobalt SS/SC won the time attack. The '08 Cobalt SS turbo is tearing up any track it's put on. New Zeta platform from GM, based on the Holden Commodore and used on the CTS and upcoming Camaro, impressive handling to rival that of any past Caddy. Saturns new line up, almost every car is Opel in design and origin. Opels are designed in Europe and built here. In Delaware none the less. The Astra, Sky, Aura are otherwise known as the Astra, GT and Vectra. All impressive and common cars on the highways of Europe.

Volvo, Jaguar, Saab. While not BMW in comparison, they can out handle a hell of a lot on the road and all three have American automaker parent companies also known as Ford and GM. Ford and GM have both improved their vehicles' handling characteristics since integrating design and concepts from their European divisions.

The American cars your thinking of are the American cars of yester year. The Camaro's , Firebirds, and Mustangs of the past. Well the mustang still. Ford gave that damned thing a solid axle. It's 2007 what where they thinking? Ford is only borderline clueless, GM is close to graduating.
EDM... Contain the fastest, quickest, best handling, most technologically equipped cars on the market.
Fact:
Thing is, they're also routinely the most expensive and also costlier to maintain.
JDM... Contains the most gas saving, bang for the buck, most aftermarket supported vehicles.

Let the games begin, i'll be editing this as the thread goes along...

I'm turing into a EDM guy simply because of Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Ariel, Lotus.

Mods will be watching this thread VERY closely for flames, harsh content, and disrespectful comments, i'm assuming.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I am an EDM guy simply because of BMW, Koenigsegg, Ariel, Lotus, Aston Martin, Porsche, Zonda, and Audi.
Agreed with the edited statements I made. Thing is, they're also routinely the most expensive and also costlier to maintain.

Putting USDM back on the map though, I think Microsoft and Ford hit a nice home run with the concept of SYNC. Here's to seeing how good it'll do down the road.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Correction on the first line of the first post. The '06 Cobalt SS/SC won the time attack. The '08 Cobalt SS turbo is tearing up any track it's put on. New Zeta platform from GM, based on the Holden Commodore and used on the CTS and upcoming Camaro, impressive handling to rival that of any past Caddy. Saturns new line up, almost every car is Opel in design and origin. Opels are designed in Europe and built here. In Delaware none the less. The Astra, Sky, Aura are otherwise known as the Astra, GT and Vectra. All impressive and common cars on the highways of Europe.

Volvo, Jaguar, Saab. While not BMW in comparison, they can out handle a hell of a lot on the road and all three have American automaker parent companies also known as Ford and GM. Ford and GM have both improved their vehicles' handling characteristics since integrating design and concepts from their European divisions.

The American cars your thinking of are the American cars of yester year. The Camaro's , Firebirds, and Mustangs of the past. Well the mustang still. Ford gave that damned thing a solid axle. It's 2007 what where they thinking? Ford is only borderline clueless, GM is close to graduating.

As far as making a choice. I think WCIWBMCRDM works for me. That's Whatever Country I Wanna Build My Car For DOmestic Market. It doesn't matter where it came from if you know how to make it perform and not look like a rolling insult to it's original design.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I will give America the Ecotec motor. I will give America the Z06 (despite my loathing of it) and the Viper (because of my love for it). I will still maintain that the Ford GT is British at heart (its parent was designed by a British firm), but won't deny it's American birthplace.

However, quite a lot of the current good American cars took lots of cues from their European counterparts. Part of Jaguar's uprising is because Ian Callum went to Jag, and he made Aston what it is now. Volvo's C30 uses the European Ford Focus chassis (Ford C1, which was developed in Europe anyway). Saab's been using WRX underpinnings, right?

I love cars, from all places, as well as you do, Dawn. However, I will notice the trend of me looking at and wanting EDM cars over the other two. :smile:

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
EDM baby!! Porsche and Ferrari are the best manufacturers ever!! Theres something with EDM cars that just have a soul, something JDM doesnt have

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
I will give America the Ecotec motor. I will give America the Z06 (despite my loathing of it) and the Viper (because of my love for it). I will still maintain that the Ford GT is British at heart (its parent was designed by a British firm), but won't deny it's American birthplace.

However, quite a lot of the current good American cars took lots of cues from their European counterparts. Part of Jaguar's uprising is because Ian Callum went to Jag, and he made Aston what it is now. Volvo's C30 uses the European Ford Focus chassis (Ford C1, which was developed in Europe anyway). Saab's been using WRX underpinnings, right?

I love cars, from all places, as well as you do, Dawn. However, I will notice the trend of me looking at and wanting EDM cars over the other two. :smile:
I go where ever the moment takes me. Right now, it's trying to bring me home. Damned big ass V8s. :(

We're not happy with the Volvo, Izzy. It has ISSues.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I go where ever the moment takes me. Right now, it's trying to bring me home. Damned big ass V8s. :(

We're not happy with the Volvo, Izzy. It has ISSues.
My volvo never *not* had an issue. That's the price you pay for rolling with the Prancing Moose:

Sorry to hear though. What's wrong with her?

Edit: I'm still *ucking surprised that a Volvo from way-back-when actually hit 1 million miles, with all the problems I've had with my more modern one.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
My volvo never *not* had an issue.
Lol. What is with the random electrical b.s. in this thing? It's not even two years old yet and the ECU went on the fritz. Fixed. And now the doors, windows and mirrors have their own agenda. I've been begging to get rid of it but it's paid off. :(

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Mine was blowing coilpacks due to being suberged in water. Don't know where the water came from. It was dry months two of the three times it happened.

The most painful part? Getting rid of it is a large loss. :( No resale value whatsoever, FTL. Still, I screamed like a little girl meeting Justin Timberlake when I saw the C30 in person.

I asked S40 Concepts (my old board) and I'll see if they come up with an answer for you. Unfortunately, my lurking there came up with nothing, thus far.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Mine was blowing coilpacks due to being suberged in water. Don't know where the water came from. It was dry months two of the three times it happened.

The most painful part? Getting rid of it is a large loss. :( No resale value whatsoever, FTL. Still, I screamed like a little girl meeting Justin Timberlake when I saw the C30 in person.

I asked S40 Concepts (my old board) and I'll see if they come up with an answer for you. Unfortunately, my lurking there came up with nothing, thus far.
I'll keep praying it gets stolen. :lildevil: take his! Leave mine!

I know what you mean about resale. My god, it's almost suicidal it plummeted so quick. We paid $31K, Sticker was close to $35K. Thank you military discount. Now look. The p.o.s. is worth.. well I dunno. Kelly bb is acting up.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Yeah, you *can* technically pick up a slightly used S60R (or even better V70R) for less than sticker on a new S40. Sad. :(

Result of my problem with coilpacks:
-Car wouldn't start. It'd sound like a dead car, you hear the engine turn over, then putter out like it's the 40's with water-based radiators.
-I'd have to keep my revs up over 1k even at a standstill. The car was automatic. I basically drove the bastard like a manual. Keep my foot on the brake, keep revving the engine so it doesn't "stall", and hope for the best. I was actually revving up while also braking. Not good.
-$200 repairs, each time. And that's with my mechanic, that me and my parents have been going to for about 17 years. Imagine the Volvo cost. *shudder*.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Okay, Izzy, $21K max trade in, $23 max private party. So $21K for the thing. SHoulda bought a friggin' TSX like I said from the get go, but nnnnnoooooooOOOOOoo. Someone had to have their friggin' grown up car.... never mind. Well, at least the cost has leveled out. Just like a Ford though, it's crap.

I don't get it. The Swedish cars (not the hand built super cars but the assembly line cast offs) are crappy. Ikea furniture is great. What gives? If you go Euro kids, go German.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Saab is not a name for the car, it's the emotional reaction an unfortunate auto enthusiast experiences once they realize the mistake they made purchasing the damned thing.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, Izzy, $21K max trade in, $23 max private party. So $21K for the thing. SHoulda bought a friggin' TSX like I said from the get go, but nnnnnoooooooOOOOOoo. Someone had to have their friggin' grown up car.... never mind. Well, at least the cost has leveled out. Just like a Ford though, it's crap.

I don't get it. The Swedish cars (not the hand built super cars but the assembly line cast offs) are crappy. Ikea furniture is great. What gives? If you go Euro kids, go German.
Italy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts