8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this topic has already been addressed, but does anyone know the exact differences in the SI's engine and the JDM Type-R engine? I know there's a compression ratio difference, but would that only be the pistons?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
cams, intake manifold, valve springs, i believe there is no balance shaft, exhaust manifold......i think just about the only thing that is the same is the block itself....

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
And there is no MAF sensor. and I'm pretty sure that the TSX has the most aggressive cams of any K series motor including all type R motors.
quoted for absolute truth. its been said before over & over on any & all Honda car forums.

DO IT! you will love it. if i had a $G or so lying around & no warranty id do it too.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Type R cams actually might be an upgrade worth your time depending on how aggressive they are.
they are acually very similar and not worth the money to upgrade. tsx cams will give you more of a gain because the profile is geared more towards torque and mid to upper range power

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wouldn't it be easier to just change the parts in the engine that differ? Getting a typre-R motor is probably much more expensive than the pieces by themselves, well then again thats what i think, i could very well be wrong :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
Just adding the TSX cams and the V2 X intake alone gives you 12 to 18 WHP. Depending on other bolt ons. And thats with NO tuning. The TSX cams are better. Just because it says Type R doesn't mean it's the best part for what you want to do. Like I said before, the TSX cams are the way to go. And they probably wont cost as much because they aren't coming from overseas and they won't be charging you rediculous prices because they don't say Type R on them. Don't get me wrong I'm the biggest Type R fan EVER but in this situation you will get more for less. I'm going with the TSX cams as soon as my warranty is up.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
wouldn't it be easier to just change the parts in the engine that differ? Getting a typre-R motor is probably much more expensive than the pieces by themselves, well then again thats what i think, i could very well be wrong :confused:
wiring harness. ECU would allow you to run without plugging in teh MAF sensor and have the great tune that the type r has. expect at least $1000 for that part. then comes the internal motor work. cams a few other major parts. although, why get type r cams when you could put in the better TSX cams while your in there. there also probably cheaper and definatly easier to come by.

EDIT: i should have read soxfans post first.....lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
the head

The biggest difference is in the head. The type R head was made
with a "fine sand casting" making the intake and exaust ports cleaner
like the hand ported b18c5 head but without the labor costs. Unfortunatly
the casting proved almost as expensive and the k20 type r stamping
dies were piched with the last dc5 type R. The 210ps k20z1 is the type R
without the good head and a 1/2 point compression drop. Our motor has
a better intake from the jdm accord type R though when compared to this motor. Add the balence shafts power sink, but the electric steering power
bump and were close to the type R rating. In fact the europeon type R
has the same motor at 197ps and mops up the ep3 type R on the track.
You have the new type R drivetrain in your car right now. Japan dosent even have the 60lb lighter coupe to work with. This time we got the best stuff
to messwith. Now if we can only get over the badging complex and be happy.

Mabye Hondashouldhave badged our car a type R. Then we would feel
like it was "fair". That is the only thing they did not do. Buythe Mugen and
you have a hotter car than the type R's from overseas. Our Si's ROCK!!!!!
Bring on their type R's! We got what it takes this time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.