8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, the photo is at the bottom. I'm not 100% sure if it's replaceable but I do think its called the tensioner pulley. I replaced both wheel bearings and found the tensioner pulley is definitely making the whining noise.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question: does anyone know the torque spec for that pulley bolt? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
Thats what I was thinking. The tensioner itself for me is a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing.
Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Having said that, my thermostat is the original and I've been told to replace it for preventive maintenance. Still on the fence on that one. It's not leaking or anything. The pretensioner though, is interesting b/c I've never heard of replacing or better stated, I didn't knew they wear out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hope it isn't problematic on our rigs. Is it a "preventive maintenance" sort of thing?
I've noticed the tensioners will make a rattling noise under high load. (AC on, headlights on, turning the steering wheel, etc.)

If you don't have a noise then don't replace it. I just suggested replacing the whole assembly since it isn't that much more money than just the pulley.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The smooth pulley (with the 10mm bolt) has a torque spec of 41 lb-ft according to the factory service manual.

But any time I torque something that threads into aluminum, I am careful to go slow and "feel" how the bolt is tightening just to make sure I don't strip a thread due to a mistake in the manual!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the tensioner pulley, i'm going with good and tight since it's aluminum. By any means that you said "smooth pulley," you mean the one circled on the picture?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts