8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last night it came a pretty bad storm here. I was on my way to a friend's house on a dark back road when a large truck (Silverdo, F250) came around a blind curve taking up half of my lane. I swerved to miss him and, despite VSA's best effort, couldn't keep it on the road. The car went down into the ditch and struck the opposite side. The truck never slowed down.

The pictures tend to make the car not look as bad as it truly is hurt. The seatbelt pretensioner deployed, and I feel like I was hit by a bus! No airbags deployed. It seems it took almost a direct hit to the frame, skipping the crumple zones.

Here is what I know is demolished:

-bumper
-left fender warped, overlaps driver's door
-A/C compressor
-wheel was ripped off, taking out the axle, all suspension parts, brakes, rim
-front subframe looks to be pushed backwards
-left headlight
-seatbelt pretensioner
-brake lights will work, taillights will not

So far, as of now, they're telling me any engine or transmission damage will make it a definite total. If both of those are okay, it's up in the air. A rough estimate of parts off the top of his head by a glance was $6500.

I loved the car, but honestly, I do not want it back. I would never feel the same about it. Hoping it's totaled. :sadwavy:

2007 Si-Navi
22,500 miles

Opinions welcome.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 07 just got totalled on New Years. They determined my value to be just over $23,000 with my alarm system and no navi. You have Navi in yours and you had about 20,000 more miles but I'd say, with my appraisor your value would be about +1,000.

You will need over 12,000 or so worth of damage to get it totalled, which it doesn't appear to have from the pictures. But as you said, the pictures don't do it justice. Good luck with everything! At least you weren't seriously injured!

·
Registered
682 Posts
That is the reason I hate winter drivers. If I were you I would have stayed in my lane and let the truck hit me (as long as you both weren'y flying down the road). Let his premiums go up, not yours. I would say close to 90% of cars around here are over the yellow line when there is snow coming down.

Still, sucks to have that happen. Good luck with the repairs, etc.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
it will never be the same. fix it up then trade it in for a new one.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Is it me or is this SI the most crashed car in the world?

I don't think it's totaled, but what do I know. I hope something that looks as minor as what you have isn't a totaled vehicle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It really can't be judged by those pictures. It was a devastating blow to the frame of the car. Whoever said $4k or $5k needs a reality check. It was $1200 to fix a small scrape in the bumper. There are a lot of messed up parts. A glance was $6500 but we have yet to find out if there is any engine or transmission damage. The undercarriage took quite a blow. And what I could not capture with my camera phone was the way the subframe is bent backwards into the engine compartment.

Again, this looks like minor damage but there's a lot disguised by that wheel and those plastic pieces. It was not a light crash.

BTW: was said to appraise at about $17-18k with the mileage.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
It really can't be judged by those pictures. It was a devastating blow to the frame of the car. Whoever said $4k or $5k needs a reality check. It was $1200 to fix a small scrape in the bumper. There are a lot of messed up parts. A glance was $6500 but we have yet to find out if there is any engine or transmission damage. The undercarriage took quite a blow. And what I could not capture with my camera phone was the way the subframe is bent backwards into the engine compartment.

Again, this looks like minor damage but there's a lot disguised by that wheel and those plastic pieces. It was not a light crash.

Get it check out and let us know.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well, IMO, you shouldn't have swerved. Since the truck was in your lane and if you actually hit him, it would have been his fault. Now fixing the damage is probably going to come out of your own pocket.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Well, IMO, you shouldn't have swerved. Since the truck was in your lane and if you actually hit him, it would have been his fault. Now fixing the damage is probably going to come out of your own pocket.
Thats one of those things where it's either money, or possibly your health.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't think I will ever intentionally involve myself in a head on collision with a truck :xyxnervou

·
Registered
346 Posts

Yeah you really did have some high mileage! I'd still be willing to bet you'd get around $20,000 total.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I think its totaled - these cars dont take much damage to be totaled, at least by seeing other threads. The suspension and trans damage and frame rupture will be the real key in totaling it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could not hit the F-250 or whatever it was head on. When the car impacted the ditch, I was probably at that point doing about 20mph. I was doing about 30 when the truck roared around the curve. Hitting me at however fast he was going was not something I was going to let him do, not with the huge size difference. I pay for full coverage insurance and they will have to pay. I also have GAP insurance. And rental car coverage.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I feel like I've been hit by a bus, I'm so sore. Those pretensioners are no joke! They have force limiters, too, and I can't imagine what it would be like without the force limiter.

The car almost certainly has frame damage from what I saw. Now, I'm no expert, but the aluminum or steel support that runs just above the radiator and just below, shouldn't be pushed back. With ACE body structure, I'm just not sure. The waiting is killing me!

All of you are great guys, though. I read on here more than I post, and the Sidan was a helluva little sedan. I won't get another one if it is totaled, but I won't forget what a scrappy little performer it was! Nor will I forget how extremely rigid and safe it is engineered to be. I will, however, never again think safety means comfort in an accident. LOL

1 - 20 of 88 Posts