8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 06 DX a couple of years back used from the dealership. It came with this radio installed on it. A year ago I changed my battery and the radio was locked. I called the dealer and they told me the code would be on a sticker on the side of the glove compartment. I entered that code and it worked perfectly. Changed bulbs once and it locked and entered the code again and it worked fine. 3 days ago I changed my headlight bulbs again and when I went to enter the code to unlock the radio, the code won't work. I tried it a few times and the radio locked and wouldn't turn on. I brought it in to the dealership and the rep tells me that this is not a factory Honda Radio even though it has the Honda logo right on it. Now two hours later the radio turns on again but it just displays "code" and the code still woun't work. Do you guys know if this is a factory radio? Also, any of you have any recommendations on getting this fixed?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
thats def not a factory radio for a 06 dx ... although it is a honda factory radio out something else and i dunno how you'd get that up n running

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats def not a factory radio for a 06 dx ... although it is a honda factory radio out something else and i dunno how you'd get that up n running
That's what I was thinking. But if it's not the factory radio why would the code from the glove compartment sticker work on it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Maybe the code worked cause the person that owned it before programed the original deck's code into this one... but i have no idea why its not working anymore...
try disconnecting the battery and try again.
Or replace the deck, that looks like a POS anyway.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I believe the DX doesn't come with a stereo at all from the factory. I think it comes pre-wired, with speakers, etc., but no head-unit.

That definitely looks like an older Honda factory stereo though. Somebody either installed it themselves, or possibly a dealer installed it at the time of the original purchase.

That doesn't help you with the code issue, but possibly there are dealers that offer it as an option. I would call around to a few large dealers and just see if they know anything about it.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I believe the DX doesn't come with a stereo at all from the factory. I think it comes pre-wired, with speakers, etc., but no head-unit.

That definitely looks like an older Honda factory stereo though. Somebody either installed it themselves, or possibly a dealer installed it at the time of the original purchase.

That doesn't help you with the code issue, but possibly there are dealers that offer it as an option. I would call around to a few large dealers and just see if they know anything about it.
All Civic's come with a Stereo/Radio/CD player......The only difference among them is that the EX and Si come with premium Stereo/Radio.

Try looking for a manual online for it. And see if there is a way to reset it back to factory specs. Also is the front face detachable? And what brand is the actual head unit? I know it says Honda on the front, but Honda don't make Radio's. I believe all radios in the 06-08 civic's are clarion, or at least the premium ones are.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
All Civic's come with a Stereo/Radio/CD player......The only difference among them is that the EX and Si come with premium Stereo/Radio.
Even on the spec page for the 2010 models, the LX shows the 160W system, the EX shows the 350W system with subwoofer, and the audio section for the DX is completely blank.

I'm positive the DX does not come with a stereo.

Edit: On Honda's website a radio/CD player is listed as an optional accessory for the DX model.

·
Registered
333 Posts
this is 1 of 2 accessory radios available for DX's that don't come with one from the factory.
Who ever you talked to at your dealership should do some homework

as to why the code all of a sudden doesn't work, i have no idea.
why are you disconnecting the battery to replace headlight bulbs?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
As everyone has said, it looks rather old. If the code has worked in the past then there shouldn't be any reason why it isn't working any more.

Try taking the connection off the battery and try it again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Turn the radio off, hold the 1 and 6 preset buttons together and then turn the radio back on. It should give you 2 sets of numbers ie: U1111 L1111. Any dealer should be able to get the radio code with that number. If it doesn't work then it's the radio. If you input the code wrong 3x it locks out and you have to pull the battery cables. Remember if you hear a beep before you're done entering the code start over, you probably hit a button twice by accident and are out of sequence.

·
Registered
277 Posts
if you get the serial number like the previous post just said you should be able to call a dealership and give them that serial. when you give them that serial they can give you a code.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You may need to go into the dealer to get the code though. Most dealers have a policy to not give it over the phone.

·
Registered
277 Posts
when i lost my code for my old crv i got it from my local dealership over the phone. so if anyone needs it over the phone call Brookdale Honda in Brooklyn Park MN lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts