8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for once another thread regarding batteries, it seems like they pop up everywhere nowadays. Here's my question: Is there such thing as a battery that's "too light"? I was browsing around various car forums and stumbled upon a battery that weighs less than 5 pounds. Are there any side effects to having a battery that's significantly less than the stock battery? The stock battery weighs in at around 25.5 pounds. Less traction in the front? Any sort of side effects you guys can tell? The specifications of the battery are as follows:

Nominal Voltage: 12.8V
Cranking Amps (CA): 600 amps
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 475 amps
Reserve Capacity (RC): 29 minutes
Capacity: 12Ah
Weight: 4.5 pounds

What do you guys think? Go for it or no? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the Capacity is very low. It's almost like a motorcycle battery. Previous civics use 36Ah batteries or thereabouts.

Racing batteries perhaps? For road cars, it may not be suitable as running extra electronics like stereos and stuff will drain it faster while the engine is off (Accessory mode).

Again, I may be wrong. My 8th gen is yet to come this January. :D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure the optimal voltage amount should be more around 14.5V. Besides that the life on it wont be ****. Theres another thread on a new CF battery if you wanna search for it. Thatd probably be the best way to go if youre willing to pay $200 for a battery.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I apologize in advance for once another thread regarding batteries, it seems like they pop up everywhere nowadays. Here's my question: Is there such thing as a battery that's "too light"? I was browsing around various car forums and stumbled upon a battery that weighs less than 5 pounds. Are there any side effects to having a battery that's significantly less than the stock battery? The stock battery weighs in at around 25.5 pounds. Less traction in the front? Any sort of side effects you guys can tell? The specifications of the battery are as follows:

Nominal Voltage: 12.8V
Cranking Amps (CA): 600 amps
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 475 amps
Reserve Capacity (RC): 29 minutes
Capacity: 12Ah
Weight: 4.5 pounds

What do you guys think? Go for it or no? Thanks for your help.
No battery is "too light". Your car will NOT lose control because you removed 30lbs from the front. You can't be serious. Your concern should be the capacity and cranking amps. The higher the better. There are many articles available for sizing your battery depending on what you draw (stereo, lights, etc...), and none of them are here. Google works wonders...

correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure the optimal voltage amount should be more around 14.5V. Besides that the life on it wont be ****. Theres another thread on a new CF battery if you wanna search for it. Thatd probably be the best way to go if youre willing to pay $200 for a battery.
You are wrong. The standard automotive battery consists of six series-connected cells, each producing slightly more than 2 volts at full charge. If you have a 14.4 volt battery, don't put it in your car! The nominal voltage is ~12.6VDC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts