8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very curious to know if Honda downplayed the real horsepower to the crank of the R18 motor. I am curious because today I was side by side with a Corolla XRS and he could not shake me loose.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
CDRoot said:
I bet its less than 140...so slow!

:popcornbig: ....................

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
HP is but a single measurement. Having the two stage intake manifold allows for a flatter torque band. Which allows the engine to pull harder.

Many 600cc sportbikes have been tested over the years. Bike with higher HP didn't always have faster 1/4 mile times. The bike that had a better torque curve was able to pull harder.

Best method is to look at the dyno torque chart

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Honda nor any other car manufacturer is going to advertise horsepower to the wheels. I'm sorry - You're 140hp to the crank which equates to around 118whp if I'm not mistaken (according to a dyno on a stock R18A1).

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
:yeahthat:

The thing that gets me is that I've never heard about an r18 getting outrun by a d17a1 or 2 and yet the 1 has 117chp and the 2 has 130 chp. I guess the fact that 7th gen coupes weigh in around 2550 lbs really gives it a little bit of an advantage.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
The Si doesnt have 200 to the wheels either its more like 160 or less. Our R18s are probably 120ish but with mods it will easily get to 160+

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Si's generally dyno out around 175-180 whp stock.. Which means that there's roughly a 20 hp difference between crank and whp. That being said that would mean that the r18 puts down around 120ish whp, which I will not argue with at all. The thing I will argue with is the fact that it's so easy to get 160+whp out of it.. Granted, the r18 is leagues ahead of the d17a1+2, but I still can't see it being extremely easy to get 40 whp out of it..

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
firmhonda said:
Si's generally dyno out around 175-180 whp stock.. Which means that there's roughly a 20 hp difference between crank and whp. That being said that would mean that the r18 puts down around 120ish whp, which I will not argue with at all. The thing I will argue with is the fact that it's so easy to get 160+whp out of it.. Granted, the r18 is leagues ahead of the d17a1+2, but I still can't see it being extremely easy to get 40 whp out of it..

thats what i meant to say. haha.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
:laughing:

:thumb:

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
i am blunt but that was just a plain ignorant statement.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
06civexjon what kinda math you doing talking bout r18 ppl can get it to 160chp it will neva happen n/a def gonna need a turbo or spray.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I would say that my Civic seems OVER RATED. I have troubles beating an automatic Corolla CE. Course, I'm so used to driving it easy so it uses a minimal amount of fuel.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Our cars are slow as a porker. Just except that and move on haha.
I bought my car for the 4 doors, reliability factor, and good milage. and so far it does those things perfect.
Think about it. the b18s in the integras back in the early 90s made 140hp and about 120 tourque, same as us, but they were also a few hundred lbs lighter, without the safty equpment and size that we have. But thats a plus for us, 6 airbags, room for 4 adults, milage like a 1.5 civic, and tourque like a type r, not bad.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
with an axle back exhaust and a aem cai i dynoed in at 141 to the wheels. so if you think about it bone stock, your def. not getting 140 to the wheels

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Was this guy racing? Honestly, no R18 that wasn't boosted in one way or another could keep up with an XRS. They run with SIs comptetively

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
hmm. im not sure if 0-60 in the 7second range is slow for a civic. Looking that all the older gen civics had a hard time doing anything quicker than the 8-9secd range from 0-60. The r18's with a good driver keeps up with some v-6 engines for god sakes. For a econo box, i would say thats pretty impressive. And those other gen civics coudltn compare stock for stock by a long shot! The 00'-01' Si coupe even have to try to keep up with my (only AEM Cold air intake) ex coupe. Mind u the Si of that year had I/H/E. .
ABSOLUTE bs. si coupes were 99-00 not 01 btw.

im sorry but i had a 00 SI a real one not an ex with badges like you probably raced. and with full I/H/E i was hitting 14.9's
even STOCK a 00 SI can hit 15.5 to 15.7. those things may only be 160 hp but they are only 2550 pounds.

so your saying your r18 with 140 horse power and 2800+ pounds low reving poor "racing" gear ratios. ( they are more fore fuel economy)

vs a 300 pound lighter 2000 SI with 20 more horse power, and you said it had bolt ons so more like 30-35 horsepower more then you and it has a close ration 5 speed with integra type R gear ratios.

but you beat it because you can "feel your car is fast" and you have a CAI?

i think not. only way is with a very very bad driver on the other end and even then i would think its no problem. or you raced an ex that you thought was an si.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts