8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a dumb noob question. But, I only have about 2000 miles of driving experience on my '06 Si. I never really took it into the higher RPMs until recently. I decided to see what this VTEC was all about, so I took it to about 6500 RPMs. I didn't really feel anything. Yes, the car was warmed up. I was driving for 10 minutes before I tried it.

So, did I miss something, or is my "very tall engine coolant" :laughing: broken?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Start from 2 grand in 3rd gear. Go wide open throttle and wait for the transition at about 5800 RPM's. I don't feel it that much, but I hear it. Turn the music down, you can definitely tell a difference in the sound of your engine. Also watch your tach speed up at 5800 rpms. It's not like turbo boost, how a low of people want you to think it is.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
what gear were you in? 1st and 2nd you dont 'feel' it as much.

also... if you only took it to 6500, it had barely kicked im. go out again and take it all the way to 8k at full throttle.

Also... if you have driven other cars which were plentiful in the torque department, you likely wont notice when vtec kicks in.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Start from 2 grand in 3rd gear. Go wide open throttle and wait for the transition at about 5800 RPM's. I don't feel it that much, but I hear it. Turn the music down, you can definitely tell a difference in the sound of your engine. Also watch your tach speed up at 5800 rpms. It's not like turbo boost, how a low of people want you to think it is.
thats really funny because when i got my si my friend that has a legacy 2.5gt goes WOAH i didnt know these were turboed when i was giving him a ride in it for the first time :D haha

·
Registered
520 Posts
HAHA, I gave someone a ride and they thought I was turboed too.

On Topic:

Like someone already said, go out cruising. While rolling in 3rd gear put your foot to the floor, don't shift until your tach reaches 8k. It will not throw you back in your seat or anything crazy like that, but you will notice a surge in noise and power at 5800 rpm's.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The one problem I see with honda owners is that they look at VTEC like it's boost. It's just the way our motors sustain/make power. On other boards people refer to driving fast as going wide open throttle. Here, people say ' I was out doing some vtecing tonight '....

Your motor is fine. Your car wouldn't be going anywhere quickly at all, if your 'vtec' was broken. Like I said though. Start at about 2k in 3rd. Turn the music down. Go WOT, and listen for the sound difference. Sit back in your seat, also. You actually can feel it, a little. It's a neat feature in our engine. Not some magical 100 whp gain.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The one problem I see with honda owners is that they look at VTEC like it's boost. It's just the way our motors sustain/make power. On other boards people refer to driving fast as going wide open throttle. Here, people say ' I was out doing some vtecing tonight '....

Your motor is fine. Your car wouldn't be going anywhere quickly at all, if your 'vtec' was broken. Like I said though. Start at about 2k in 3rd. Turn the music down. Go WOT, and listen for the sound difference. Sit back in your seat, also. You actually can feel it, a little. It's a neat feature in our engine. Not some magical 100 whp gain.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
thats really funny because when i got my si my friend that has a legacy 2.5gt goes WOAH i didnt know these were turboed when i was giving him a ride in it for the first time :D haha
the same happend to me, but me was driving and my friend was the first time driving with me in my car and I hit vtec and he said. I even didnt know that this is a turbo :rotfl:

and then he said..... do it again :vtec:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.