8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it just me or is car pricing in general gone way up? its almost absurd what it costs for a car now....
40k for an evo
33k for an evo GSR
75k for a fully equiped M3
70-69K for one equiped decently with stuff?
A 1 series BMW is 40k!!!
A cheap interior STI is now 38k

I was looking at GMC trucks yesterday and saw a 2500HD not even fully loaded truck for 50k!!!A damn truck for 50k!!!! ARE THEY MAD? :SHOCKED:

Anyone notice these rising trends and these arent the only cars....Especially with an economic slow down on our hands. Cars are no longer play things but long term investments at these prices!!!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Its also due to interest and the fact that the value of the dollar has significantly fallen, plus the fact that the cost to get things rolling with the environmental taxes and laws put into place really raises the cost of everything, also to mention higher transportation cost due to gas prices, and etc.
It really is a combination of all those factors.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Is it just me or is car pricing in general gone way up? its almost absurd what it costs for a car now....
40k for an evo
33k for an evo GSR
75k for a fully equiped M3
70-69K for one equiped with neccary stuff?
A 1 series BMW is 40k!!!
A cheap interior STI is now 38k

I was looking at GMC trucks yesterday and saw a 2500HD not even fully loaded truck for 50k!!!A damn truck for 50k!!!! ARE THEY MAD? :SHOCKED:

Anyone notice these rising trends and these arent the only cars....Especially with an economic slow down on our hands. Cars are no longer play things but long term investments at these prices!!!
You've taken this way to far bro. 33k for an EVO GSR is average and 40 for the MR is still acceptable. I guess you don't remember last year the evo was 29 for the RS, 32 for the GSR and 37 for the MR. Now add the new handling computers and technology, the upgraded engine, the new styling and for the MR you can add the DSG 6-speed and you can see that 40k is EASILY reasonable.

Base 135i is 33k I believe which again is still very good. It's a BMW how cheap do you expect it to be, honestly? Uses an excellent motor/transmission with a 3 year maintenance free warranty. 33k to me is reasonable.

Base M3 is 55k, what was the last generations M3 MSRP? I'm sure it was close to that, about 49k. Again add the new body style, the new motor, better handling aspects and you can see that 55k is reasonable.

Here are my best bang for the buck cars right now...

Mazda MazdaSpeed3
Mitsubishi Lancer RalliArt(which might top the MS3 when I drive it)
BMW 135i
Nissan GT-R
Chevy Corvette/Z06
Pontiac G8

Right now there are only a few cars that I don't agree with their pricing and that is

The Si should be about 1.5 grand cheaper same with the GTi
Mugen Si should be about 6 grand cheaper
Dodge Viper should be about 5 grand cheaper
All Audi's and Chryslers should just fall off the face of the planet

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Get used to it as far as consumer products go. Everything you buy is trucked in, and oil barrel pricing is only going to continue to increase in price. We are in for a very bumpy ride.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
You've taken this way to far bro. 33k for an EVO GSR is average and 40 for the MR is still acceptable. I guess you don't remember last year the evo was 29 for the RS, 32 for the GSR and 37 for the MR. Now add the new handling computers and technology, the upgraded engine, the new styling and for the MR you can add the DSG 6-speed and you can see that 40k is EASILY reasonable.
the evo IV had advanced technology for its time, yet was 5k cheaper....same idea as this. what makes todays technology more expensive than 5 years ago? at that time that technology was expensive.

Base 135i is 33k I believe which again is still very good. It's a BMW how cheap do you expect it to be, honestly? Uses an excellent motor/transmission with a 3 year maintenance free warranty. 33k to me is reasonable.

Base M3 is 55k, what was the last generations M3 MSRP? I'm sure it was close to that, about 49k. Again add the new body style, the new motor, better handling aspects and you can see that 55k is reasonable.
new body style? at some point the last M3 was also new, but yet 5k cheaper.

Here are my best bang for the buck cars right now...

Mazda MazdaSpeed3
Mitsubishi Lancer RalliArt(which might top the MS3 when I drive it)
BMW 135i
Nissan GT-R
Chevy Corvette/Z06
Pontiac G8

Right now there are only a few cars that I don't agree with their pricing and that is

The Si should be about 1.5 grand cheaper same with the GTi
Mugen Si should be about 6 grand cheaper
Dodge Viper should be about 5 grand cheaper
All Audi's and Chryslers should just fall off the face of the planet
anyway, IMO its all due to the value of the dollar decreasing. when importing these cars we have to pay just that much more sinec oour money is worth less.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
i remember when the older si's used to be 13k

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I lol @ the BMW 1-series cause when the spy shots first came out and speculation and stuff, people were thinking this car was going to be much cheaper than it came out to be...

I think the Si is the best bang for the buck :thumb:

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
anyway, IMO its all due to the value of the dollar decreasing. when importing these cars we have to pay just that much more sinec oour money is worth less.
Well if yall want to go at it like that then yes. The price of EVERYTHING is going up, not just cars or gas. The value of precious metals has also increased as well as the price of soda, food, and clothing.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
^a little unfair to go by reduced MSRP. to get teh MS3 with the same options as the SI,the MS3 is actually 24k+ options - rebates. proportionally, if the Si was to have that kind of rebates,deals it would be the best bang for the buck.

around me, IF i could find a MS3, there are no deals to be had like that. of course factory rebates, but not much, if any negotiations under MSRP.

so for the options that the SI comes with, it still is the best bang for the buck.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
i remember when the older si's used to be 13k
Using your example...

Civic Si 13k. Add a K20Z3 w/ 6-speed transmission (DBW "Techniclogically Advanced"), much MUCH better handling charastics, more styling, more cargo space, new safety features (crumple points, etc.) and like magic Honda can easily sell their new Si for 21k.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
^a little unfair to go by reduced MSRP. the MS# is actually 24k+ options - rebates. if the Si was to have that kind of rebates,deals it would be the best bang for the buck.

around me, if i could find a MS3, there sre no deals to be had like that. of course factory rebates, but not much, if any negotiations under MSRP.

so for the options that the SI comes with, it still is the best bang for the buck.
That's why I said for me. I don't want options on a car, they are pointless. You can get it aftermarket for way cheaper anyways. I wasn't using rebates on the MS3, it's called haggling. Mazda is ALWAYS willing to drop the MSRP to sell a car, unlike Honda. I have yet to find a Honda dealer that will go one penny below MSRP, Mazda was willing to take two grand off the msrp, just because.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
No way man... I think the Si is actually over priced. I can get a MS3 for 20500, faster, more room, less INS, ofcourse it has less MPG but I can sacrifice that.
What is the reliability like in the MS3? I personally don't like the looks of one but for utility purposes, it certainly has one on the Si. My RSX fit a lotta **** in there w/the hatch but not really a huge thing to me. Plus I think you can get an Si for that price... I was quoted 21,899 for an si w/navi on the first shot no negotiation. I'm pretty sure the navi option was $1800 of that price. You also DO have to factor in gas mileage (at least in the overall cost of ownership) because if you are only going by speed and utility then the Prius is EXTREMELY overpriced. Get what I mean? I agree the MS3 is a great car (on paper, never drove one) for the value but I'd still have to hand it to Honda for the gas mileage, green aspect (not that anyone cares), and overall quality/reliability. and no... I don't wanna hear about the transmissions :lildevil:

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
What is the reliability like in the MS3? I personally don't like the looks of one but for utility purposes, it certainly has one on the Si. My RSX fit a lotta **** in there w/the hatch but not really a huge thing to me. Plus I think you can get an Si for that price... I was quoted 21,899 for an si w/navi on the first shot no negotiation. I'm pretty sure the navi option was $1800 of that price. You also DO have to factor in gas mileage (at least in the overall cost of ownership) because if you are only going by speed and utility then the Prius is EXTREMELY overpriced. Get what I mean? I agree the MS3 is a great car (on paper, never drove one) for the value but I'd still have to hand it to Honda for the gas mileage, green aspect (not that anyone cares), and overally quality/reliability. and no... I don't wanna hear about the transmissions :lildevil:
And I already admitted the MS3 gets worse gas mileage than the Si. Go drive an MS3 and come back and let me know what you think. I have driven both, many times. Where do you live? I'd like to find a Honda dealership going below MSRP esp. with navigation. Reliability is about the same, IMO. Overall build quality I would have to give to the MS3. Sorry, I know the quirks of both and the Si loses big time.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Add to the list the Infiniti G37. Since I have a G35, I was going to get a G37 and keep my G35 as well until I found out the pricing. At my dealership, they have ones with navi going for almost $45,000. Most are in the low 40K range. Yes, you supposedly can get a base model for $36,000, but no dealers are ordering them and I have been told it will be difficult to order one that way.

A couple of years ago you could get a G35 Coupe for the mid 30's. Some end of the year ones were like $32-$33,000. Because of the big price increase, I went for the Si instead. Prices for the more desirable models is beginning to get out of hand. The way things are going, the manufacturers will price themselves out of the market.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.