8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read around and everyone says it's illegal. I've noticed that a lot of members on 8thCivic have them though so I'm a bit confused. I want to purchase the Volt kit, but I'd rather not direct attention of the police in doing so. Would I be safe or would this make me a target?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its legal
Really? Hm... If I buy the Volt kit which I believe is Plug and Play, could Honda ever use it against me if something goes faulty or am I safe?

·
idgaf
6,952 Posts
its illegal, but you can get away if you 8000k or lower, just not those 10000k blue crap. Try to go with 4300k or 5000k though.

retrofits ftw

·
Registered
854 Posts
Source: High Intensity Discharge (HID) FAQ and Installation
Installing HID's into a vehicle not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal. Practically speaking, you stand little chance of being cited for them provided you educate yourself on the requirements of HID lighting and take the necessary steps to ensure you have the right equipment and adjustments to keep it safe. That is, make sure your vehicle's headlight assembly uses an appropriately designed projector lense (as opposed to a reflector), and of course that your headlights are properly aligned after installation. Many newer vehicles use projector lenses because stock halogen bulbs also benefit from the "light shaping", but having just any old projector lense does not necessarily ensure that the beam pattern will be correct. It is absolutely essential for HID's to give the light output a sharp cutoff line to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. As HID's become more popular, aftermarket projector housings are being produced for some vehicles.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) states that improperly-installed HID's are getting a lot of complaints. Vendors will usually include a disclaimer that they are intended for offroad use only, but it's no secret that people don't follow this rule. Now, there are a lot of aftermarket automotive parts that qualify as illegal but aren't strictly enforced. Logically, the safety implications of blinding oncoming drivers are more serious than, say, an exhaust that exceeds the legal noise level. So the DOT has actively gone after vendors of HID conversion kits, threatening monetary fines if they continue selling them, and consequently there are now fewer places to buy them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i just got 8000k with my retrofit and have had no probs but where im at i see people all the time with just the kit in stock headlights and some blind some dont...i dont see how people are getting the 12000k and not getting pulled over...

·
Banned
13,587 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
It's illegal. Dont go over 6000k and you wont attract cops.

You'll lose some light to the sides as opposed to the halogens. If youre taking a turn onto a street, you wont beable to see where youre turning to.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Anytime you change your headlights configuration for any reason away from factory specs, you're doing so illegally. All conversion kits, retrofits, and e-bay/aftermarket headlights are illegal. That's why they all say "for off-road use only".

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
No they shouldn't void your warrenty. My uncle works for honda in torrance and i asked him and he said you would be cool. Post pics when you're done!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
It is illegal, but cops dont usually cite the hids that look "oem"

And if you get condensation and go get a warranty fix. just pop back your
old lights and done deal.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have 8000k HID's. I've never had a problem with cops down here due to them (do get the occassional high beam flash from oncoming cars). The less attention you attract to your car, the less of a chance you have of getting pulled over.

·
Registered
717 Posts
07mugencivic said:
its everwhere i get flash at least once or twice when i drive at night....

i dont drive a not a lot tho
I have 8000k HID's. I've never had a problem with cops down here due to them (do get the occassional high beam flash from oncoming cars). The less attention you attract to your car, the less of a chance you have of getting pulled over.
Why do you have them if they are blinding people? What the heck is the point of those lights? The stock lights are just fine! You have high beams and low beams for a reason!!!

I can't stand it when some idiot is behind me with super bright lights aimed right at my mirrors. I swear I'm going to brake check someone one day and then say I was blinded by their lights.
Aim your lights down at the road and not the roof of the car in front of you!! (Trucks are the worst about that)

·
Registered
682 Posts
HIDs in a projector made for HIDs don't do that. The ones that blind you and get the flashes are the people who think it's cool to put HIDs in the stock reflectors because it's so much safer to have brighter lights. You can't convince them of how stupid it is no matter how hard you try. That's why retros and PNP kits are illegal.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Why do you have them if they are blinding people? What the heck is the point of those lights? The stock lights are just fine! You have high beams and low beams for a reason!!!

I can't stand it when some idiot is behind me with super bright lights aimed right at my mirrors. I swear I'm going to brake check someone one day and then say I was blinded by their lights.
Aim your lights down at the road and not the roof of the car in front of you!! (Trucks are the worst about that)
I hate Lifted trucks god they are the worse and then they put hid fogs which blind me. next time someone is behind me im gonna chill at the redlight to piss them off.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts