8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for durability, I believe powdercoating is the way to go if im not mistaken... rough ballpark, how much is it to powdercoat the Stock SI rims?

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
Powdercoating is definately a better looking quality and more durable. Prices can vary depending on the powdercoater.... there's a guy arnound me that used to do it for $100/set of 4, but i heard he recently raised his rate to $150/set.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
r a y said:
Powdercoating is definately a better looking quality and more durable. Prices can vary depending on the powdercoater.... there's a guy arnound me that used to do it for $100/set of 4, but i heard he recently raised his rate to $150/set.

:yeahthat:

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
POWDERCOATING!

should go for 50 bucks a rim and a 2 - 3 day turn around time. i am more then pleased. no fading or cracking or anything. looks FACTORY!

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
$50-200 per wheel, depending on place and quality. Mine cost $90/wheel plus an additional $66 for a custom color.

As for durability, it depends on:
1) Type of wheel
2) Powdercoat process

If done wrong, powercoating can compromise the integrity of the wheel. Baking too long, or at too high of a temperature can be bad, esp. for forged wheels. Also, if the shop sandblasts incorrectly (using media that's too coarse or too big), the media can create little cuts in the metal that compromise the integrity. Which is why reputable places can get away with charging more. You want a place that

1) Uses good media (type shouldn't matter as much as how fine the media is). Glass beading is supposedly the safest, but I don't think it's that important
2) Temp-regulated oven for curing. Temp should be consistent, around 300-ish degrees Fahrenheit.
3) Outgassing. If you don't outgas on porous surfaces such as aluminum alloy, you get unpleasant bubbles in the finish.
4) Lower temp baking, if the wheel is forged. Forged wheels are temperamental (pun not intended), and will stress a lot easier than cast wheels. Make sure the place has experience with forged wheels, else your pricey wheel may crack.

·
myspace.com/assistant_ar
5,306 Posts
Civicn33b said:
for durability, I believe powdercoating is the way to go if im not mistaken... rough ballpark, how much is it to powdercoat the Stock SI rims?
lol good timing i just went to LS Industry about 4 days ago and ask them how much it would cost me for powder coating my rims the surpevisor that i talked to said it will cost not less than 100 bucks for all in all sand blasting and powder coating and finishing which i was pretty surprise i thought it would cost me more now the problem is i just need to find a set of wheels to use it i take my rims to them they said it will take no more than 2 days to complete the job

1 - 8 of 8 Posts