8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to leave unbuffed wax on the car? ... other than the car being ugly

Will it give extra, longer protection? (winter)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
good question... i suppose the chemicals could change over time and bond onto your
paint(?).

i leave wax cure over night sometimes when the humidity is high... but never like
over days.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I'll chime in with my $.02 worth. First of all, the wax over time will harden and be much more difficult to remove. Secondly, if you were to drive your car, there would be dust and dirt mixed in with the wax. Imagine trying to take off the wax now that there is a layer of dust or road grime on the wax. Remember that wax can attract dirt and dust like a magnet, especially carnauba.

Lastly, as Ken said, the solvents in the wax would begin to evaporate, leaving a waxy residue. If you just mean that you will wax your car and then attend to it tomorrow, it should be no problem. Once you drive your car with the wax on, you will have to very carefully wash it, possibly with Dawn, to remove all of it while making sure that no dirt or grime is trapped in the wax.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nitrous' points are all good and true. Don't ever drive with wax on your car, dirt/dust will stick to it and scratch your clearcoat when you wipe it off guaranteed. Even washing with Dawn won't guarantee dirt will be removed from wax.

I can say that at the detail shop I worked at for some special jobs (higher end)...
We leave the wax on overnight (indoors) in the shop. It did make a big difference in quality.

Of course that being said, it also highly depends on the type of wax you use. Using a cheap wax, ie) from Walmart or whatever... meguiars, turtlewax, eagle... it probably won't make much of a difference. They all have generally the same ingredients and qualities. Once you start getting high end, ie) zymol, world's best wax... it starts counting.

Different qualities = different chemical composition = different methods...
that's why some waxes have instructions to use your bare hands to apply the wax, and some don't, and also why leaving it on for longer periods might make a difference, and also why a tiny tub of wax can cost upwards of several hundred dollars. But anyways, just my input.

In conclusion... it's not bad to leave unbuffed wax on the car overnight, but make sure its in a relatively dust free area (not outside), and if it gets on plastic always wipe it off asap...

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Nitrous' points are all good and true. Don't ever drive with wax on your car, dirt/dust will stick to it and scratch your clearcoat when you wipe it off guaranteed. Even washing with Dawn won't guarantee dirt will be removed from wax.

I can say that at the detail shop I worked at for some special jobs (higher end)...
We leave the wax on overnight (indoors) in the shop. It did make a big difference in quality.

Of course that being said, it also highly depends on the type of wax you use. Using a cheap wax, ie) from Walmart or whatever... meguiars, turtlewax, eagle... it probably won't make much of a difference. They all have generally the same ingredients and qualities. Once you start getting high end, ie) zymol, world's best wax... it starts counting.

Different qualities = different chemical composition = different methods...
that's why some waxes have instructions to use your bare hands to apply the wax, and some don't, and also why leaving it on for longer periods might make a difference, and also why a tiny tub of wax can cost upwards of several hundred dollars. But anyways, just my input.

In conclusion... it's not bad to leave unbuffed wax on the car overnight, but make sure its in a relatively dust free area (not outside), and if it gets on plastic always wipe it off asap...

Good points all. Leaving some of the higher end waxes on all night allows the wax to cure and set up better, thus giving better adhesion and depth to the paint. What the OP needs to do is to avoid dust settling on his car while the wax is curing on the paint. Each manufacturer has its own recommendations as well. Natty's Blue for example, requires about 20 minutes and then remove it. Others say to remove the wax right away. In any event, the OP's question should have been adequately answered.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i was told never to leave the wax un buffed because it will eventually dull the paint. same as never wax your car on a hot day with the sun glaring on it because the sun will heat up the unbuffed wax and eat at the paint.

now i don't know if any of this is *true* but this is just what i was told.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
i was told never to leave the wax un buffed because it will eventually dull the paint. same as never wax your car on a hot day with the sun glaring on it because the sun will heat up the unbuffed wax and eat at the paint.

now i don't know if any of this is *true* but this is just what i was told.

Cora, what you say is essentially true. Unless the manufacturer clearly states it, it is not a good idea to wax in direct sunlight. It is much better to wax in a cool, shady area. As for the wax left unbuffed for a prolonged time like months let's say, there could possibly be some clouding of the paint although I have never done it, so I am not completely sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts