8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive been thinking about using AMSOIL on my Jeeps and my soon to come civic Si... I like the fact that they can go 7500 miles per oil change right? Or is it 25k or 1 year? Whatever the case may be, is it really worth it? Im pretty old fashion and like changing my oil every 3k miles or 3 mos. I dont want any sludge buildup in my engine's!

What are the pros and cons to switching to AMSOIL filters and oil?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
If you use Synthetic, You wont get sludge build up. I wont pay for Amsoil, Esp an oil you only change twice a year. I'll stick with Castrol or M1

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tried Amsoil on my second oil change and I thought it was worth the price. I tried numerous other brands (Royal Purple, Mobile 1 Synthetic, Mobile 1 Synthetic Extended Performance) and they didn't compare to Amsoil. I got better gas mileage, the engine felt smoother, and it ran cooler (measured from temp gauge). I'm not an expert on oil but I think it was worth it, and if you buy it in bulk from them with the preferred customer membership its really not that much of a premium over the store brands.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes I did buy the Amsoil filter. I think I ran it to 10000 miles, and I changed it right before winter just cause of cold starts and such (I live in Chicago).

·
Registered
884 Posts
I would say amsoil is amazing for what it did to my transmission. I just changed my oil Saturday and put in amsoil. its well worth at as secretaznman46 said above.

It says on the amsoil website that the recommended changing interval doesn't apply to engines that have ecu mods, modified air intake, or non-oem exhausts. I fit choice D: the "all of the above" category. How often is the recomended oil change interval if you have these mods?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any performance gains? RoyalPurple advertises some gains ive seen verified on Spike TV... Does anyone feel any difference in the way their Si drives after switching to Amsoil Engine oil, MTF, either or, or both? Is better fuel economy to be expected? If you lived in Miami for example and didnt have to worry about winter, how long would the oil be allowed to stay in the engine??

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I had the Amsoil in my car on highway I averaged 37-38 mpg at 70mph with the A/C on. I think thats a good reason to change to right there. I didn't get that mpg with other brands. Performance I felt went up, but I have no way to verify that. Why don't you just try one oil change with it? If you don't like it than you can switch afterwards, its not like a permanent mod or anything. I would still change at the recommended interval just cause Honda want documentation for warranty reasons.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
secretaznman46 said:
When I had the Amsoil in my car on highway I averaged 37-38 mpg at 70mph with the A/C on. I think thats a good reason to change to right there. I didn't get that mpg with other brands. Performance I felt went up, but I have no way to verify that. Why don't you just try one oil change with it? If you don't like it than you can switch afterwards, its not like a permanent mod or anything. I would still change at the recommended interval just cause Honda want documentation for warranty reasons.
Secretaznman do you have a sedan or coupe si? How do you drive?

Can the oil life exceed the oil reminder deal and still be of enough quality to lube a DD sports car?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Whether you choose Royal Purple or Amsoil it will save you money and it is worth the price.

If you spend 4 a quart on regular oil and spend $5 on a filter-

4.6 quarts to fill up car * $4 = $20.00 with .4 of a quart left + $5 filter= $25

4,000 miles later = $25

8,000 miles = $25

12,000 miles = $21 because you were able to use the .4 from the two previous oil changes

so your total is $96

Amsoil or RP-

A- 10.95 RP 7.55

= 54.75 =37.75
+ filter 59.75 42.75

5,000 miles with a filter change and oil top off-
A- 10.95 RP- 7.55
+ filter 15.95 12.55

10,000 miles with a filter change and oil top off-
A- 15.95 RP- 12.55

So far you are-

Amsoil- 91.85 RP- 67.85

That is not including the fuel savings, time used to change the oil as often, and the parts lasting longer in the long run.

I personally would not run a oil over 15,000 miles, in case of fuel dilution or water condensation. Changing the filter will help keep the engine cleaner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
to get you to 30,000 miles you would spend-

$192 dollars with other

$183.70 with Amsoil

$135.70 with Royal Purple.

I could find a better price on RP or Amsoil, but took the highest I found and used it.

I have seen RP for $6.99 motor oil and 12.99 for Racing oil

Amsoil was 7.99 and 8.99 at a few stores which would lower the cost.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Amsoil is worth it if you want a really good protection and want to use your oil for 10,000+ miles.

Royal purple is used is on spike TV is because it's there to advertises their product. Royal purple is paying spike TV to have them show and use their products. Just like racing. Why do you see a big sticker on their car advertising a company's product.

If you're an old school person who want's to change their oil every 3000 miles I would say go with royal purple. I'm not a big mobil 1 fan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jardiniboy said:
Amsoil is worth it if you want a really good protection and want to use your oil for 10,000+ miles.

Royal purple is used is on spike TV is because it's there to advertises their product. Royal purple is paying spike TV to have them show and use their products. Just like racing. Why do you see a big sticker on their car advertising a company's product.

If you're an old school person who want's to change their oil every 3000 miles I would say go with royal purple. I'm not a big mobil 1 fan.

Why would you change it every 3,000 miles? Mobil1 and Royal Purple both have extended drains too.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Royal Purple is just a fancy name and marketing. I don't trust any oil company that does not post oil testing results.

-Amsoil, Redline, Torco, Elf, are the top line oils Mobil1 if you don't want to spend the extra cash.

The High end oils are only worth the cost IF you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Or if you plan on private resale of your car and hope that the buyer would place some value on how you took care of your car.

-I run Torco oil in me EX with a Pureone filter and will follow the maintance minder exactly. I compared all of the 0w20 oils before I picked Torco. For the Si I probably would go with Amsoil or Elf CRV.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
07-[ivi] said:
Why would you change it every 3,000 miles? Mobil1 and Royal Purple both have extended drains too.
Not everyone is new school who changes by the maintenance minder or by 5,000+ miles. Everyone has personal preference. People who's old school like to change their's at 3000 miles for maximum protection.

I'm just giving my a advice if he chooses to change every 3000 miles I would use royal purple over amsoil because of the price. No sense paying almost 10 dollars a quart if you're changing every 3000 miles. I would use royal purple what is half the price with great protection also.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
There is a fine line between "old school" and ignorant.

Example: Old school shoe sales men used to use x-ray machines to properly fit shoes. They got cancer!. New shoe sales men simply use a tape measure.

-

Used Oil lab testing cost about 20.00 from blackstone labs or catapiller dealers. This has been done for decades to PROVE that 3k mile oil changes are NOT for "maximum protection". In fact 3k oil changes have been show in some cars to cause increased wear from the time it takes for the oil additive package to settle in.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts