8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I’m new to this forum and the past couple of years I have been getting into cars and back in April I bought a 2007 Honda Civic DX model with the 1.8L. Anyways, Today I was looking into possibly buying a cold air intake but I wasn’t sure what the best one is to get or if it is even worth it. I saw a couple people talking positively about having an Injen CAI but they both had Civic Si’s so I did a little research and found an Injen CAI (the part number is SP1569BLK) and it looked promising but I’m also living on a college kid budget so I don’t wanna drop a heck of a lot of money on this mod if it ain’t worth it ($300 seems reasonable). I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not this sounds like a good idea so let me know what y’all think.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What I think is, the system of bringing air into an engine, mixing it with fuel, burning the air/fuel mixture and expelling the exhaust gas has become an incredibly complex science. To make the assumption, despite the millions of dollars Honda spent researching and designing these systems, that their air induction system is flawed is, to my way of thinking, foolish. When introducing a new component into an already designed and proven system you have to consider how the entire system will be affected. The aftermarket guys say they have done the research and you will gain power. I think the gain in power will be negligible if at all and, worse case, you could trigger a Check Engine light. If you are planning to go turbo or supercharge then, yeah, air induction changes may be required.

Just FYI here is a link that gives a glimpse into the complexity of just an intake port design: Intake port design

A lot of people think that bigger valves, bigger and polished ports and bigger exhaust headers will make an engine "breath better". This was proven to be untrue when, back in prehistoric time of the 1960s, the Triumph motorcycle company did exactly what I said and their engines lost power. They did this to support marketing strategies and shot themselves in the foot. Big exhaust pipes look good on muscle cars. If you look closely, many of those big exhausts have a smaller exhaust pipe hidden in the the fake, big exhaust pipe. This is because a 1-1/4 inch pipe will often be the right size to support engines that produce around 500 HP. Polished ports sound like a good idea but in fact, in some applications, a rough surface mixes the air with fuel better and provides a more complete burn.

I am sure there are plenty of people that disagree with my opinion and I would like to hear what they think. So, up to you to decide if this purchase is worth it. if you splash out for the CAI, let us know the before and after results on the dyno. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah and that makes total sense put that way, I’ve heard mixed reviews on CAI systems and this is probably something my parents would say. I think I might just stay away from any engine mods cause I want to keep this car for a long time and I want it to remain reliable. I think it would be cool to hear the induction noises and to modify the exhaust to sound cool but overall it really adds hardly any power and probably not the best investment with my money as a college student. If money was no issue then I probably would do it just for the fun of it cause I want to do more work on cars, but realistically might not be the best.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey man, I'm sure my children are older than you, LOL, but I'm all about having fun and looking cool and that includes aftermarket stuff. I am a visual artist and appreciate all the cool stuff going on in motor sports and especially with Civics. My dream is an Si coupe fully tricked out. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, no worries don’t think you crushed my dreams or anything😂 I’m still gonna do lots of car things and later on I’ll probably get a project car that I can mess around on, but nodding my daily might not be the best idea at least not right now so I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
@ FD7683, thanks for your clarification. I use this site to find DIY information to keep my Civic running. While I am aware of “tuning” I was not aware of what FlashPro is exactly and how it fits into the process as opposed to a simple error code reader. Now I need a project car!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Like what FD said. It is a safe and reliable upgrade if you want some small horsepower increase, but only if you pair it with a tune. That being said there are plenty of drawbacks to a CAI, if you live somewhere that has quick and random changes in seasons and weather be careful, the cold air intake often times is routed down near the tire and will suck up water if you are driving in heavy rain. Similarly, the tune and flashpro will cost a pretty penny, the flashpro itself is about 500$ and that's before you pay for a tune. Intakes are what I would say are a very reliable (for the engine and if done properly) upgrade, but everything has its drawbacks. If you don't tune an intake, you will also most likely get a check engine light and will do more harm to your engine than good. But tunes are definitely good to have done, they modify lots of things on your car that don't change and adapt while your engine wears down. Having a proper tune can not only increase your power but also increase longevity of the engine, reduce knock, and improve gas mileage in some cases.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, so I’m new to this forum and the past couple of years I have been getting into cars and back in April I bought a 2007 Honda Civic DX model with the 1.8L. Anyways, Today I was looking into possibly buying a cold air intake but I wasn’t sure what the best one is to get or if it is even worth it. I saw a couple people talking positively about having an Injen CAI but they both had Civic Si’s so I did a little research and found an Injen CAI (the part number is SP1569BLK) and it looked promising but I’m also living on a college kid budget so I don’t wanna drop a heck of a lot of money on this mod if it ain’t worth it ($300 seems reasonable). I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not this sounds like a good idea so let me know what y’all think.
Do you have hondata or plan on spending ~$600 for a tune? If not, then I wouldn’t. You will lose power if you do not have a tune. I would also only do it if you have supported bolt ons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
that being said there are plenty of drawbacks to a CAI, if you live somewhere that has quick and random changes in seasons and weather be careful, the cold air intake often times is routed down near the tire and will suck up water if you are driving in heavy rain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts