8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for my answer, but did not find a clear explanantion. Basically, what I am asking is if a CEL goes on, is it only for emissions?? I know a CEL will be thrown with a race header and some intakes, but are there any other circumstances where it will come on? Any input is accepted!!

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
What is your current MOD setup, and i will be able to help you further. When did it show up? has it gone away and come back?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have that much in the way of mods yet. On Monday, I will have a BCRH installed with an angled defouler. Hondata has stated on their website that a check engine light will not affect performance, but if the light is on due to the header, you obviously will not know about any other conditions existing at the same time. So, this is why I am asking the original question. I do also plan on having a Hondata reflash and/or supercharger.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
If you get a CEL when you put the header on, you would not know if any NEW CEL were to appear. Its best to go to autozone once a month and make sure that it really is only the emmisions code you are throwing. they do the test for free.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you get a CEL when you put the header on, you would not know if any NEW CEL were to appear. Its best to go to autozone once a month and make sure that it really is only the emmisions code you are throwing. they do the test for free.
Yeah, this would be the dilemma I suppose. I just remember reading somewhere that CELs are only emission related.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
No, untrue. a CEL is to tell you that there is an issue present. could be a MAF, o2 Sensor, Knock Sensor, Camshaft / crankshaft position sensor, misfire, etc, etc. It could mean a number of things.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, untrue. a CEL is to tell you that there is an issue present. could be a MAF, o2 Sensor, Knock Sensor, Camshaft / crankshaft position sensor, misfire, etc, etc. It could mean a number of things.
I am noobish with "modifying" newer cars I guess. My previous vehicles that I modded did not have check engine lights, so it was a little less complicated. Thanks though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
CEL's can come on for reasons other than mods. i had a CEL for clogged EGR ports which does effect emissions, but isnt bad for the motor as far as running correctly. so yea cel's are generally emission related in my experiences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.